Jeff Twigge

Varroa Treatment

I'm in the Manawatu and it has been very mild this winter. Just checked my hives and plenty of pollen coming in. I want to try and manage my hives this year as single brrod boxes and wondered when everyone is looking to put their miticide strips in - should I be looking to do it soon for 8 weeks?

1 hour ago, Jeff Twigge said:

I'm in the Manawatu and it has been very mild this winter. Just checked my hives and plenty of pollen coming in. I want to try and manage my hives this year as single brrod boxes and wondered when everyone is looking to put their miticide strips in - should I be looking to do it soon for 8 weeks?

It is best to leave it for as long as you can, but to do it that way you need to be monitoring via something like sugar shakes.  Presuming no mites now then treat as soon as you see mites, also bearing in mind the treatment cant go in so late as to have the treatment in (apart from Bayverol) when the honey supers are on.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I want my Apivar to come out at beginning of Nov for the kamahi so it needs to go in about now .

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

I treated with formic acid pads yesterday. Didn't bother with a sugar shake as i have bees with DWV. I have Drones, Wasps, and even saw a butterfly hanging around maybe spring has sprung   

• Good Info 1

I got Apivar in yesterday and by the time the varroa would spread the active ingredient should be spread too keeping varroa population as low as.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Hmmm .... we are putting in O/A shopcloths at the moment.  Checking drone brood with with a cappings scraper and finding zero mites ...... so are wondering whether we have mite levels low enough to carry on with O/A right through until the autumn.   We have'nt seen bees this healthy since pre varroa times.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/08/2018 at 6:49 PM, Chris Highman said:

I treated with formic acid pads yesterday. Didn't bother with a sugar shake as i have bees with DWV. I have Drones, Wasps, and even saw a butterfly hanging around maybe spring has sprung   

yep i got a hive full of wasps the other day, hive was very poor

Last year I had bad infestation in some hives in the first week of October. So I'm planning on adding Bayvarol mid September. Yes, its a good idea to test for mites first. But when I have lots of hives and within an apiary they are able to spread... easiest to just add the strips to all the hives at once. I have not seen any visible evidence of varroa as yet - no mites seen on bees, and no deformed wings. It is sure great when the bees look healthy.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, CraBee said:

It is best to leave it for as long as you can, but to do it that way you need to be monitoring via something like sugar shakes.  Presuming no mites now then treat as soon as you see mites, also bearing in mind the treatment cant go in so late as to have the treatment in (apart from Bayverol) when the honey supers are on.

Why do you say "apart from Bayvarol" ? Are you able to have honey supers on when Bayvarol strips are still in the brood boxes? ie vs other brand treatment strips

47 minutes ago, geraldb said:

Are you able to have honey supers on when Bayvarol strips are still in the brood boxes?

Only if absolutely necessary 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm .... we are putting in O/A shopcloths at the moment.  Checking drone brood with with a cappings scraper and finding zero mites ...... so are wondering whether we have mite levels low enough to carry on with O/A right through until the autumn.   We have'nt seen bees this healthy since pre varroa times.

In Autumn when your hives are full of Mites make sure that you explain that your OA treatment was shop Clothes and not Staples because if you run with shop cloths and nothing else thats what will happen

mark this page

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

In Autumn when your hives are full of Mites make sure that you explain that your OA treatment was shop Clothes and not Staples because if you run with shop cloths and nothing else thats what will happen

mark this page

huh .... ?

I rememeber reading or listening to Randy O a while ago saying he alchohol washed each hive as he worked it to determine mite level and whether it needed treatement over the season.

There is no doubt that the O/A works, but we need to up our game on the monitoring of the mite levels  ..... right ?

My thinking is that if we suppress the mite enough with O/A cloths over the season and then whack them with a synthetic in the Autumn, I've saved myself enough for a holiday in Waimate.

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

mark this page

Oops .... yup ...Okay, just reread this ..... lets call it science in action.

On 11/08/2018 at 5:39 PM, kaihoka said:

I want my Apivar to come out at beginning of Nov for the kamahi so it needs to go in about now .

Can I ask how long you leave it in for? The instructions say 42 days but I’ve struck different recommendations for treatments before.

I have just put my Apivar in as I didn’t want to wait any longer with sugar shakes of 12.

When I search the forum it seems that 10 weeks is what others are recommending, which would be nice to see on product labelling if accurate.

15 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Oops .... yup ...Okay, just reread this ..... lets call it science in action.

Its your risk James, 
Shop Towels are high risk.
Better than nothing between treatments to help suppress the mites but not a treatment in themselves.
Mites dont breed  on the Top bars, thats why Synthetic Strips are designed to go between the frames in the Brood areas

Same with Pams cloth and now Staples
Between the frames in the Brood, anywhere else and you will have Mite problems

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

20 minutes ago, cBank said:

Can I ask how long you leave it in for? The instructions say 42 days but I’ve struck different recommendations for treatments before.

I have just put my Apivar in as I didn’t want to wait any longer with sugar shakes of 12.

When I search the forum it seems that 10 weeks is what others are recommending, which would be nice to see on product labelling if accurate.

It is 10 weeks ?.

You are right though , an updated label would be helpful.

During the 10 weeks I’d strongly recommend you check it’s working at the recommended 2 strips per full box of Bees . 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, M4tt said:

It is 10 weeks ?.

During the 10 weeks I’d strongly recommend you check it’s working at the recommended 2 strips per full box of Bees . 

Thank you.

I’m probably at a slight advantage as it treating 3/4 boxes (2 per box). I’ll check this weekend to see if there has been any change, as it will have been a week. Might be worthwhile for a new guy to see how varroa numbers drop.

Edited by cBank
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, cBank said:

I normally leave it in 10 weeks .

That seems general consensus.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, cBank said:

Where it gets tricky is if you split your hive and take a mating nuc off.

You have only 2 strips a brood box.

Shuffling strips around between boxes is not that easy .

I have 4 two box hives so I will have two strips surplus.

I will put extra in a couple of hives so I can use these in nuc boxes in Oct .

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, M4tt said:

A very recent post from @Dansar indicated a new label has been approved and is on the way

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

Thanks everyone.

1 hour ago, cBank said:

Thank you.

I’m probably at a slight advantage as it treating 3/4 boxes (2 per box). I’ll check this weekend to see if there has been any change, as it will have been a week. Might be worthwhile for a new guy to see how varroa numbers drop.

Apivar takes time to work. This is why it stays 10 weeks in the hive. Works slowly but still powerful thanks to the amitraz. I do not think that you will see any difference after a week.

I put apivar into the hives a week ago too. Few hives needed a second box and I put 2 strips into those boxes too. The queen will be laying in those frames next week(it is warmer in the top box and the bees will prepare/clean the combs/cells within 1-2 weeks.).

16 hours ago, yesbut said:

A very recent post from @Dansar indicated a new label has been approved and is on the way

Yes correct. NZ Beeswax have new stock of Apivar coming with labeling relevant for NZ that is 10 weeks. Approved by MPI

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

what are those "staples" you're talking about?