Daley

Are you a member of APINZ?

Are you a member of APINZ  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of APINZ

I'll carry on ..... today we got an update from our forest company who allow us to put bees on their land. They claim a percentage of any honey we produce, and levy us a hive placement fee. The honey share agreement  is worked out after the hive running fee is taken into account. Their take on  what it costs to run a bee hive is $400 pa.

So we run 1300 hives. At $400/hive it costs us $520,000 pa to run our bee operation.  Last year, and it was a good year for us, we produced 48 ,000 kg's of honey , at a market price of $3.40 ...... grossing us $163,000.

Even at $10.00/kg, we still made a loss.

I rest my case your Honour. Most of us commercial beekeepers should make our bee hives into kitchen units.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

that's 'their' running cost per hive. How the heck do foresters work out the running cost of your beehives.... be less aye. Your case is flawed. Granted, even if it's 6 bucks and your running cost were 250- not much left for a beer or new trucks aye. 

Your running costs have gone up as honey prices climbed.  The more money you earned the more money you spent.  

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

. Most of us commercial beekeepers should make our bee hives into kitchen units.

Most?? Don't think so. Some yes.  Especially if your budget requires $20 a kilo. 

Cabinetry is a good idea, get in first though! before the rest bust it. 

Besides, who said our market price would be 3.40?? That's what the Albertian Canadians earn. 

I would be rapt if we continued receiving $10 a kilo... 

Where did all that $10 a kilo stuff go?? Oh I know, blending fools gold. 

• Like 1

I had'nt finished .... but Grant cut me off on my edit.

To all you beekeepers out there on the forum, and apparently there are over 6000 silent watchers because there are only about 20 or so who seem to commit to cyber space and poke fun at life ... in all seriousnes, don't sell your honey too cheap. It is a valued product that is not just food to be flicked off because you need room in the shed. It is more than food.  It's a life giving sweetener that is full of pollen and life giving anti microbials that enables the heart machine to keep on ticking whilst under extreme duress.  It is the David in the Goliath battle of life.       

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Good Info 1

The forresters did their due dilegence and consulted the sages within the industry. It might be flawed but that is the deal we have. I signed the contract because at $400 cost I knew we would be paying very few landowner payements.  There you go... shot myself in the foot.  But that is the reality of the industry..... most people not in it don't have a clue about it except the rumour of beekeepers with bach's in New Caledonia.

We have never budgeted on $20/kilo, except when we were up north and then it went up to $32/kg.  Which gave us room to manouvre and replace worn out gear. 

Aah for the good old days ..... Not.

12 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

If a commodity levy does add value to our non-manuka- then I could accept 2.5% from $4 a kilo.  It must show positive results.

I would agree,  but if you look at what people have already indicated they want the levy spent on, finding markets for non Manuka honey is way down the list.

it seems they are more interested in spending my hard earned money on things that in the past beekeepers already knew or did as part of their journey in beekeeping rather than now where everyone wants on the bandwagon with no idea about how to look after a beehive let alone 1000 of them.

And I’m being asked to contribute to this nonsense :( 

• Agree 3

OK .... here is the real oil. This year is crunch time. Unless we get at least nine bucks a kilo for our hard earned labour down south, I am prepared to walk away from my hives, more or less, retaining 300 to run as a Hobby . Any reasonable offer accepted for 1000 hives or they go in the burning hole. They are after all only wood and wax. 

At the end of the day one has to bite the bullet  and face reality. The Golden Goose is dead.

• Good Info 1

18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

. Any reasonable offer accepted for 1000 hives or they go in the burning hole. They are after all only wood and wax. 

Your thousand and another 500,000 and we might be able to go back to making a living off five dollars a kilo although to be honest there's a lot of hives I would like to see burnt before yours.

1 minute ago, john berry said:

Your thousand and another 500,000 and we might be able to go back to making a living off five dollars a kilo although to be honest there's a lot of hives I would like to see burnt before yours.

Aye, your right for sure  there ..... but it might make a good opening or finale for the reality TV program .... eh !

I'm nobody James but I'm here reading the forum and listening.  It sounds a bit heartbreaking what you are facing.  I started from scratch when I had to dump my computer business of 12 years and move from the north island down to here after the quakes.   It seemed like a big waste of years of effort and dreams.  Was unemployed for 8 months.  Now just drive trucks.   All the best with what you and others seem to be going through.  I think decisiveness is a good thing though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Don't get me wrong Paul, I'm not complaining . We should have a profitable business here. There has to be fat in a business at the end of the season to put away for a rainy day .... for the unexpected catastrophes and a splurge on some simple pleasures in life, or are we expecting too much ?

Somehow we have to get wiser and smarter to make that happen.

Like the saying goes , "Expect the same if you do the same".

Anyway, moons going down, suns coming up ..... time to go drive a truck.   Happy days eh.

Saw some pretty grim faced beekeepers at the extracting plant yesterday ?

There’s plenty of them around this season Alistair. 

Some are taking it harder than others. 

Spoke to one yesterday who was still smiling, last years honey paid off all his business debt so he was just riding this season out. 

Others are up to the eyeballs.. 

• Good Info 1

I dont contribute alot on this forum but this really is a sad state of affairs all this talk of doom and gloom I sold up my business this year due to being sick of Losing sites to bigger companies etc I vividly remember starting out in 2005 when beekeeping was an occupation not many were interested in.$2.80 a kg for clover and bush and $4.00 for manuka it was classed as manuka by taste and whether it gelled in the sample pot over night, mated queens were $20.00 and cells around .50 cents each. To make a living we had to run 400 hives to the bay of plenty for kiwifruit pollination with pretty primitive trucks and did contract extraction it was a great time to keep bees and everyone respected eachothers areas.I hope that everything works out for you guys and maybe one day if the industry settles back down I might re enter it

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Michael Romley said:

with pretty primitive trucks 

I really wish some of the pics i took had survived from when I was new in beekeeping. Back then it was a poor mans game and you had to work hard. But re the trucks, what we were driving in the 70's was primitive even by the standards of those days, and would be museum pieces now. if only I had some of those pics to post, would certainly get a few laughs. A few roadside repairs were a normal part of doing business.

Didn't even have synchromesh gearboxes, you had to double de clutch and get the revs just right. Got my licence in one of those trucks the cop wouldn't get in cos of the bees in the cab, told me to drive down to the tower and back with him watching from the footpath, and he passed me. 

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 10

34 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I really wish some of the pics i took had survived from when I was new in beekeeping. Back then it was a poor mans game and you had to work hard. But re the trucks, what we were driving in the 70's was primitive even by the standards of those days, and would be museum pieces now. if only I had some of those pics to post, would certainly get a few laughs. A few roadside repairs were a normal part of doing business.

Didn't even have synchromesh gearboxes, you had to double de clutch and get the revs just right. Got my licence in one of those trucks the cop wouldn't get in cos of the bees in the cab, told me to drive down to the tower and back with him watching from the footpath, and he passed me. 

I still got a truck with no synchro.. I remember Richard B. from Airborne recounting the story of coming home from the Coast with a loaded Bedford ..... so loaded they had to back up the Zig Zags.

• Haha 4

Blood red wolf moon?

E2D4AF53-B326-4278-BDEF-E76140D6597D.jpeg

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

All smiles in our extraction plant ..... the new Lyson works a treat.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Alastair said:

This is the first season ever we haven’t been excited to see full honey boxes. :( 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

This is the first season ever we haven’t been excited to see full honey boxes. :( 

Why not

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Why not

Because it won’t be mono Manuka so will likely cost us money sitting in storage .

thankful that there’s no commodity levy. Its bad enough paying a levy on $4kg honey let alone honey that’s not sold.

we have pretty much decided if a commodity levy comes in we just won’t pay it. 

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Because it won’t be mono Manuka so will likely cost us money sitting in storage .

thankful that there’s no commodity levy. Its bad enough paying a levy on $4kg honey let alone honey that’s not sold.

we have pretty much decided if a commodutynlevy comes in we just won’t pay it. 

I know what you mean ...... but as I look at the growing stack of honey drums in the shed, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling because I know I've got about 50 years worth of stock for my end of the road  honey shop. I think that should about do me out and keep me in the beer I am accustomed to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No cuz it's got a use by date doesn't it?

I still haven't figured how this use by date you supposed to put on jars is meant to be calculated.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

we have pretty much decided if a commodutynlevy comes in we just won’t pay it. 

@frazzledfozzle, I just gotta love your attitude! We certainly need to fight back.

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

I still got a truck with no synchro.. I remember Richard B. from Airborne recounting the story of coming home from the Coast with a loaded Bedford ..... so loaded they had to back up the Zig Zags.

Is that an ex Bray & Gossett one James? Got a pic?

2 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Is that an ex Bray & Gossett one James? Got a pic?

Wot ... the truck .... no .... thats Stella and the crash road ranger.

• Like 1