Daley

Are you a member of APINZ?

Are you a member of APINZ  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of APINZ

21 minutes ago, Daley said:

This is an email I received yesterday morning from Beekeepers against Api Tax:

Beekeepers Act NOW

Submissions to the AFB PMP proposal are due in this FRIDAY.  It is important that you send in your submission to the AFB levy which can be done online at http://www.afb.org.nz/new-levy-proposal 

A recent visit by NZ Beekeeping Inc Leaders to Parliament to meet the Minister for Agriculture highlighted that he is getting annoyed with receiving numerous emails from Beekeepers relating to the AFB PMP.  It's working - keep up the pressure. 

If you have not done so please write to Damien O'Connor the Minister of Agriculture (damien.oconnor@parliament.govt.nz) asking for the removal of the current AFB PMP board and Apiculture NZ removed as the Management Agency with an independent board directly selected by Levy Payers.

We understand that both NZ Beekeeping Inc and the Southern North Island Beekeeping Group have recently held meetings and have come out in opposition to the proposals. If you want to be a member of a Beekeeping group that is run for the good of Beekeepers, by Beekeepers then either of these will be willing to accept your membership.

There are some good robust arguments happening at nzbees.net and on our facebook page  @beekeepersagainstapitax 

Please pass this message to all your Beekeeping Contacts and spread the word.

We have been criticised for being anonymous but we feel that it is better to pass on information from various groups without bias and personalities getting in the way. 

Any idea who they are ? 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Any idea who they are ? 

I suspect it is the Southern North Island Beekeeping Group, but I’m not sure.

I just joined them anyways, it’s $10 so meh, put my bum on a seat and all that

• Agree 1

Could be NZ beekeepers incorporated.

not sure, someone stirring anyway, and I’m a fan of stirring.

Just joined them as well.

Edited by Daley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daley said:

I suspect it is the Southern North Island Beekeeping Group, but I’m not sure.

I just joined them anyways, it’s $10 so meh, put my bum on a seat and all that

I don't think it is SNI Beekeeping Inc.  Someone with the name Serena started it from what I can gather.  Well worth supporting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daley said:

Could be NZ beekeepers incorporated.

Just joined them as well.

Same :) 

• Like 2

Well the minister did want one United Voice.

He's got it now in Spades.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I don't think it is SNI Beekeeping Inc.  Someone with the name Serena started it from what I can gather.  Well worth supporting.

Serena Richards  ??? 

Edited by nikki watts

Must posts be so negative, without substantiation? ApiNZ does a lot of good work and we need to work together rather than separately. Roll on the  day when NZ beekeepers are united and positive. Reflect on the level of cooperation within the hive. Where are the sideline critics/negative forces there? The raiding wasps? Or the pesky nibbling varroa? Who wants to be one of them...we keep them out or get rid of them as fast as we can!

13 minutes ago, Graham Wood said:

Must posts be so negative, without substantiation? ApiNZ does a lot of good work and we need to work together rather than separately.

Welcome along @Graham Wood  Please enjoy the forum.

I find you opening remark interesting.

First you say so many negative with no substantiation.

Then you say they do a lot of good work without substantiation without so much as 1 example.  

Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

• Like 2

When people talk about the high price of manuka they often forget the costs involved with producing manuka these days. Between overpopulation and bidding wars for apiary sites many people must be losing a fortune. I heard of one farm the other day where a corporate was apparently paying $75,000 a year just to be there. Surprise surprise it is now back on the bidding market. I had bees there for many years and it was high, cold, bad access and struggled to support 24 hives so I don't think I will be trying to get it back.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Welcome along @Graham Wood  Please enjoy the forum.

I find you opening remark interesting.

First you say so many negative with no substantiation.

Then you say they do a lot of good work without substantiation without so much as 1 example.  

Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Here's four, not just one, substantive examples: 

i) ApiNZ runs a beekeeping conference annually,

ii) ApiNZ publishes an informative beekeeping magazine monthly,

iii) ApiNZ works with the MPI on development of a manuka honey science defn - needed to defend an NZ$250,000,000 p.a. export business (and so many incomes for kiwis), 

iv) ApiNZ is working towards an industry levy to support and extend the excellence of NZ beekeeping.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 19/09/2018 at 8:20 PM, Graham Wood said:

Here's four, not just one, substantive examples: 

i) ApiNZ runs a beekeeping conference annually,

ii) ApiNZ publishes an informative beekeeping magazine monthly,

iii) ApiNZ works with the MPI on development of a manuka honey science defn - needed to defend an NZ$250,000,000 p.a. export business (and so many incomes for kiwis), 

iv) ApiNZ is working towards an industry levy to support and extend the excellence of NZ beekeeping.

DeerNz run a conference, fielddays, a monthly mag with add ons for health,feeding etc and works with MPI.... but it does’nt cost me $000’s to be a part of.

Not sure why not?

Where are we with the ApiNZ/commodity levy/ consultations etc

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Deathly silence.

7 hours ago, Philbee said:

Id like to know how some beekeepers are feeling about the collapse of prices for non Manuka honey and probably thousands of tonne of slow selling Bush blend sitting in sheds countrywide how’s everyone feeling about handing over 10c kg in commodity levies exactly the same amount as the beekeeper up the road that’s having no problem selling honey and getting a very good kg price as well.

If a commodity levy does add value to our non-manuka- then I could accept 2.5% from $4 a kilo.  It must show positive results. 

If not, go away. It's a honey levy, so in my mind primarily support/promote the honey sales for commercial producers. 

Every business is different.  For us pollination service is core- by the time I have worked through a heavy workload I don't feel like driving a zillion miles to far of lands chasing manuka (and paying for the privilege).  Plenty do, though they have staff and take higher risks. We travel a lot less, relax and bees eat pasture.

My Canadian friend said he got CAN$1.60 a pound - so about NZ$3.20-3.40 a kilo.  And he produces a lot- last season 375 pounds a hive. It all goes to a huge co-op in Edmonton.  The co-op provide the drums and cover half the transport for full drums. The Co-op works very well there. 

Lets face it, $10 a kilo for pasture was crazy good, 

I am curious about total crop size this year.  Pretty average I have heard so far.  And considering that 'brood' seconds not supposed to be harvested, the manuka standards and the lack of desire for pasture/bush (hives not used in these, more honey left on hives) it could end up being another poor harvest season. 

• Like 2

$10/kg is not crazy good ..... it's a price we need to run a viable business, so would everyone please stop talking the price down.

At $3.40/kg we are better off to run a smaller bee operation and become packers buying in as we need it.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

if you have a look at the ApiNZ levy page https://apinz.org.nz/levy/ - it summarises the findings from the consultations down the lefthand side . . and on the right hand side is the timeline.

voting starts at the beginning of Feb - and on March 1st. The results will be known within a couple of weeks.

It is worth re-reading the proposal since there are changes to it, based on the consultation meetings [JM]

• Like 2

It just has to said. Small family beeks with their backs to the wall, totally manipulated honey prices to the same and ApiNZ with it's hand out (by compulsion if a vote goes through) to deepen the family blokes overdraft.

Yup that's what you call in touch with the common beek. No doubt ApiNZ will survive in grand style on our handouts without which I suspect their days would be numbered. Especially as the majority of the beekeeping register does not belong or wish to have anything to do with them.

• Agree 4

The cracked record squeaks again

• Spoon 1

7 hours ago, jamesc said:

$10/kg is not crazy good ..... it's a price we need to run a viable business, so would everyone please stop talking the price down.

At $3.40/kg we are better off to run a smaller bee operation and become packers buying in as we need it.

Steady on there James, no honey buying soul is going to be influenced by my thoughts on here. 

Just stating the facts, at $10 we are expensive. Internationally our pasture honey should return a better price than my Canadian friend.  I base that on our antibiotic free status.  

But expecting 3 fold?  Why should a consumer pay that much for pasture blend?  

Honey is too expensive on the local shelves- and our consumers are eating less and less.  And that's a damn shame. We have a monopoly here and we turn em away. 

Weird, I see the same with Avocados. Plenty around ( and weak international market at moment) and they still sell em for seemingly high prices.  Butter, milk, building products. property, shares... even washers on oil changes. Not sure, are we ripping each other off?? 

We are all to blame for this - we happily accepted $10 or so for pasture/bush.. lost/ignored our existing 'low value' markets.  Buyers don't want to make a few bucks per kilo on-selling non-manuka-  they want to make much more.  Our honey buyer seems to have gone to ground.  Anyone know where Ian is?? 

Not so long ago, we managed on a lot less. Hard to go back I suppose.  We could celebrate, many a beekeeper  up graded run down equipment over last 5 odd years.  

$6 a kilo would be good though.  Actually selling honey would be nice.... 

• Like 2

Grrrr ..... Somedays I get really frigging angry . I've got the TV on tonight watching the grim news,  and "they" are telling me that the Gvt is paying out 27 million dollars a week in accomadation supplements. People on $20 an hour can't pay rent, let alone buy groceries. Goodness knows, I know it's expensive to raise a family these days, and to be able to look my employees in the eye every morning I need to be paying them a living wage, and that means, whether I like it or not, In New Zealand I need to be getting $10/kg and above for my honey.

Paying the minimum wage for hard labour frustrates the crap out of me.

It would be also nice to draw a wage for myself once in a while.

Don't get me started ..... on second thoughts do !

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 3

On 20/01/2019 at 3:57 PM, Philbee said:

Consultations all be done, voting papers not far away. When they arrive everyone have a say.

• Like 1