Jump to content
Daley

Are you a member of APINZ?

Are you a member of APINZ  

186 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you a member of APINZ



Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Lol Have you ever lived on the West Coast
I spent time there from 2002 off and on for 5 years maybe more and have good friends there.
What a great place it is.

Im not taking a swipe at the Minister at all or Bighands although I had to chuckle the other night when bighands made the comment about the importance of correct labeling of Honey containers.
There is IMO a darker side to the coast though and that relates to environmental attitudes, however its easy to gloss over them while knocking back Beers at Stumpers surrounded by fun people, partying all night, going straight from the pub to work.
I loved it there.
 

Didn't know you were a hoke lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Im not sure that ego is the right word but its probably close.
One real danger here is that going forward there is a high probability that this industry will see a  high proportion of its income being earned by a relatively small portion of the Stakeholders, at least in the short term.
This will not be tolerated by the less advantaged stakeholders who will see themselves as the poor being forced to subsidize the rich.
Rightly or wrongly this is how people think and if an industry body wants to lead this outfit then it needs to demonstrate an understanding of this.
ApiNZ now have the industries attention and I would advocate an extended  period of meet and greet before attempting to close this deal

 

I agree that ApiNz has the industries attention but I think the Ministry will force a levy on us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, glynn said:

Didn't know you were a hoke lad

Not a real one just one of the darned contractors from Westlands
I feel privileged to have experienced the Wild Food fest before it went bad
In the early days it was so drunkenly peaceful with no liquor or fire bans

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bighands said:

I agree that ApiNz has the industries attention but I think the Ministry will force a levy on us.

If hes smart he'll not force anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Philbee said:

Not a real one just one of the darned contractors from Westlands
I feel privileged to have experienced the Wild Food fest before it went bad
In the early days it was so drunkenly peaceful with no liquor or fire bans

Good times town full of completely drunk people having fun whole town getting behind it .

Then it got commercialised and things went South sounds familiar

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/08/2018 at 5:12 PM, Daley said:

If you have a look at their website and their  mission it’s not hard to see why they are unpopular, they are not beekeepers, and they have little understanding of the people they wish to represent 

Have to disagree with you Daley

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Have to disagree with you Daley

You are one of few exceptions Dennis

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a member and I’m undecided weather to resign or not.I certainly don’t support a lot of their policies but I am for a research fund and I like and respect a lot of the members.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john berry said:

I am a member and I’m undecided weather to resign or not.I certainly don’t support a lot of their policies but I am for a research fund and I like and respect a lot of the members.

I was a member up until this year and I respect those that put themselves up to work for the industry (generally unpaid) and I definitely back research

 

The problem I have with current situation is APINZ is soldering on with this attempt to bulldoze the industry into accepting them as their representatives without a rational mandate!

 

My suggestion is they take their foot off the accelerator and a long hard look at how to attain the unified industry that they initially aspired too.

 

The judgemental and self righteous APINZ submissions onto the forums combined with the seeming manic drive to instil the Levy on the Industry with a convoluted majority convinces me they're not ready for this and should take time to engage with and win over the small to medium commercial entities that are the backbone of the industry.

 

This is starting to turn into an embarrassment for the Industry where the Minister is being corralled into a position by those with his ear but whom the majority of the Commercial sector obviously don't want at this juncture. It's not about the money; it's about fair, considered and equitable representation and utilisation of what will be considerable industry funds

 

It's also about simple democracy: The commercial sector will be disenfranchised if this vote goes through and is won on the convoluted  hive number / honey production of a few larger players.

 

The answers sitting in front of APINZ: Win the hearts and minds of the Commercial Sector before you proceed - Get on the beat, go door to door, sell yourselves and your message but don't sit in your ivory tower and expect the commercial sector to back you just because you think they should!!!!

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a member. My reason for not being a member is that the amount of subscription you pay is based on hive numbers. I am a relatively small beekeepers (around 150 hives). If my interests conflict with those of large commercial beekeeping entities I have little belief that my interests as a small beekeeper would be looked after by an organisation that collects the vast majority of its revenue from those large commercial entities. They need to look after their revenue stream...

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If the levy goes through and all levy payers are deemed to be ApiNZ members then that is the mandate they need to sign up to the GIA which, apart from me being unconvinced it will be good for beekeepers,  will also mean another levy.

 

so we have multiple honey tests to pay for often each individual drum. NPA , C4 sugars, manuka standard, tutin, residues, etc 

we have the MPI beekeepers list registration.

an increase in AFB levy 

a commodity levy

a GIA levy

landowner payments

 

add to that a crash in non Manuka honey prices and we have the beginnings of a real financial downturn for some of us. 

 

And then there’s the possibility of an AFB test on our honey as well which I forgot about 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

And then there’s the possibility of an AFB test on our honey as well which I forgot about 

Do you think there is a possibility the bee keeping industry could contract .

Or split into a profitable Manuka section and a barely making a living other honey part.

Would all the levys etc be costed to be affordable to the Manuka section or the other honey section .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bighands said:

I agree that ApiNz has the industries attention but I think the Ministry will force a levy on us.

the ministry mpi cannot force a levy on any indsutry, it is up to the industries to vote yah or nay. yes the govt want 1 body to talk with, that goes for all parties not only the govt in power at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think there is a possibility the bee keeping industry could contract .

Or split into a profitable Manuka section and a barely making a living other honey part.

Would all the levys etc be costed to be affordable to the Manuka section or the other honey section .

Have a question but as these meeting will be held during the day will unlikely be able to ask. 10 cents per kilo yeah okay maybe but on $3-4/ kilo can it not be charged as a percentage of the honeys percieved value after extraction at a RMP? That at least appears more equitable and could go towards mitigating some of the other issues that "manuka rush" has raised. Maths a little shakey but at the princely sum of $4/kilo that's 0.025%. "Regulatory capture" is the term that springs to mind for some reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jean MacDonald said:

Have a question but as these meeting will be held during the day will unlikely be able to ask. 10 cents per kilo yeah okay maybe but on $3-4/ kilo can it not be charged as a percentage of the honeys percieved value after extraction at a RMP? That at least appears more equitable and could go towards mitigating some of the other issues that "manuka rush" has raised. Maths a little shakey but at the princely sum of $4/kilo that's 0.025%. "Regulatory capture" is the term that springs to mind for some reason.

Good in theory but impossible to police . The value of honey sales is of no interest to levy collectors 

 

 

Edited by M4tt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Good in theory but impossible to police . The value of honey sales is of no interest to levy collectors 

 

 

Was thinking of those mobile extracting units that were advertised once upon a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 cents per kilo per year for research ,I can't understand how WE as sustainable beekeepers are opposing that.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If the levy goes through and all levy payers are deemed to be ApiNZ members then that is the mandate they need to sign up to the GIA which, apart from me being unconvinced it will be good for beekeepers,  will also mean another levy.

 

so we have multiple honey tests to pay for often each individual drum. NPA , C4 sugars, manuka standard, tutin, residues, etc 

we have the MPI beekeepers list registration.

an increase in AFB levy 

a commodity levy

a GIA levy

landowner payments

 

add to that a crash in non Manuka honey prices and we have the beginnings of a real financial downturn for some of us. 

The irony here is that Apinz plan to use some of the bio security funds to pay for administration and readiness for GIA levy. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's no secret apinz are committed to getting a GIA over the line 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the fruit growers part of a GIA they're not that happy with MPI at the moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an email I received yesterday morning from Beekeepers against Api Tax:

 

Beekeepers Act NOW

Submissions to the AFB PMP proposal are due in this FRIDAY.  It is important that you send in your submission to the AFB levy which can be done online at http://www.afb.org.nz/new-levy-proposal 

A recent visit by NZ Beekeeping Inc Leaders to Parliament to meet the Minister for Agriculture highlighted that he is getting annoyed with receiving numerous emails from Beekeepers relating to the AFB PMP.  It's working - keep up the pressure. 

If you have not done so please write to Damien O'Connor the Minister of Agriculture (damien.oconnor@parliament.govt.nz) asking for the removal of the current AFB PMP board and Apiculture NZ removed as the Management Agency with an independent board directly selected by Levy Payers.

We understand that both NZ Beekeeping Inc and the Southern North Island Beekeeping Group have recently held meetings and have come out in opposition to the proposals. If you want to be a member of a Beekeeping group that is run for the good of Beekeepers, by Beekeepers then either of these will be willing to accept your membership.

There are some good robust arguments happening at nzbees.net and on our facebook page  @beekeepersagainstapitax 

Please pass this message to all your Beekeeping Contacts and spread the word.

We have been criticised for being anonymous but we feel that it is better to pass on information from various groups without bias and personalities getting in the way. 

  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...