ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ Commodity Levy Proposal

You are right. I will sit in the naughty corner and be quiet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Janice said:

You are right. I will sit in the naughty corner and be quiet.

Ah ha so there was actually three of you !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is beginning to sound like this lot to me ..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Careful @yesbut you'll end up in the naughty corner with the girls .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the other group NZ Beekeeping INC doing anything about it? 

Beekeeping clubs around the the country can also give submissions to the government, minister etc about why they do not agree to this. 

Has as anyone looked at what can we do legally to stop this voting from happening in the first place if it’s not the right thing to do. 

• Agree 1

Who are the ApiNZ?

Apiculture New Zealand is the peak industry body representing New Zealand apiculture and beekeeping.

It has 800 members and growing, including some of NZ’s biggest beekeeping companies, beekeeping supplies companies, and many, many hobbyist beekeepers.

ApiNZ’s mission is to support and deliver benefit to the New Zealand apiculture industry by creating a positive industry profile, business environment and opportunities for members.

If you want to find out more check out their website www.apinz.org.nz.

From the internet.

its interesting that it mentions members include “ some of NZ’s biggest beekeeping companies and beekeeping supply companies “

two of the reasons we didn’t join ApiNZ after the NBA folded .

800 members is hardly a mandate 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

And also counting individual members of clubs how many are members through clubs and have there own membership of ApiNZ

7 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

From the internet.

its interesting that it mentions members include “ some of NZ’s biggest beekeeping companies and beekeeping supply companies “

two of the reasons we didn’t join ApiNZ after the NBA folded .

800 members is hardly a mandate 

Of which only 91% are beekeepers according to a post in another thread by Barry Foster - so a grand total of 728 beekeeper members.  

16 minutes ago, Ted said:

Of which only 91% are beekeepers according to a post in another thread by Barry Foster - so a grand total of 728 beekeeper members.  

So less than 10% of registered beekeepers.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Ted said:

Yes.  And they say they have a mandate to speak on behalf of the whole beekeeping community.  They are a joke.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Ted said:

How many are counted twice ie paid members and members of clubs how many clubs have pulled the pin now ever club has quite a few members?

52 minutes ago, glynn said:

How many are counted twice ie paid members and members of clubs how many clubs have pulled the pin now ever club has quite a few members?

Yep.  AFAIK they are double counting the club members, instead of just 1 club.  In our case at Manawatu it is around 120 members.

On ‎7‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, Ali said:

Sadly the topic matter is probably the most important since the discovery of Varroa in NZ.

There is nothing pleasant or enjoyable so far in the debate which perhaps leads some folk to want to divert the thread a little.

The reality is that NZ beekeepers stand at a very significant crossroad where for many their enterprises (and living) will be affected by a body of people (ApiNZ) who seem to me to be very far less than open and honest in their business dealings and thus with the majority of beekeepers.

ApiNZ have been given many opportunities to come clean, rectify the matter honestly but have so far continued to cower behind the fog of deceit.

It is very important debate and I think there is a need for the thread to stay on track in the hope of the truth coming to the fore.

Yes but when you consider what some have reported it is not entirely off topic if you consider that industries such as mining need to submit a mitigation plan to address the damage they have caused through their activities.  I will now sit in my corner listening to music to entertain me. 

44 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yep.  AFAIK they are double counting the club members, instead of just 1 club.  In our case at Manawatu it is around 120 members.

Good input @Trevor Gillbanks!

@ApiNZ Levy Proposal & @ApiNZ Science & Research is this the truth of the matter? Are individual members of Bee club memberships counted individually in your membership count?

Perhaps the Board & CEO would like to enlighten the majority of beekeepers?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ali said:

@ApiNZ Levy Proposal & @ApiNZ Science & Research is this the truth of the matter? Are individual members of Bee club memberships counted individually in your membership count?

Perhaps the Board & CEO would like to enlighten the majority of beekeepers?

Good luck getting an answer to that.

• Haha 1

Folks, we are the science & research group. We are focused on that - period. The inner machinations of Api NZ membership etc you are welcome to raise at the meetings or in emails to ApiNZ

If you wish to attack our (unpaid, voluntary) group( @Ali and others) with an aggressive accusations as to our intent then we can refer you to @Trevor Gillbanks reply above. 

As our group has stated, we do have the vested interest in that 40% of levy funds raised would go to science and research - potentially accelerating much of the research out there now and also generating new research required by industry.

Oh, and should it pass and everyone is now a member of ApiNZ and you want to scream long and loud? You can simply opt out of being a member. I would guess you would also lose any say though . . .  [JM]

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

Folks, we are the science & research group. We are focused on that - period. The inner machinations of Api NZ membership etc you are welcome to raise at the meetings or in emails to ApiNZ

If you wish to attack our (unpaid, voluntary) group( @Ali and others) with an aggressive accusations as to our intent then we can refer you to @Trevor Gillbanks reply above. 

As our group has stated, we do have the vested interest in that 40% of levy funds raised would go to science and research - potentially accelerating much of the research out there now and also generating new research required by industry.

Oh, and should it pass and everyone is now a member of ApiNZ and you want to scream long and loud? You can simply opt out of being a member. I would guess you would also lose any say though . . .  [JM]

JM you may well only be the 'Science and Research Group' of APINZ but for someone seeking funding from the Industry your arrogant message is shocking.

The overwhelming feedback I'm getting from the commercial sector is that they back and welcome R & D (Hey: APINZ aren't the only ones involved in R & D) they just don't see APINZ as the vehicle the industry should be backing at this juncture.

From the outset APINZ were backed by many including myself who hoped for a more unified industry: They've dropped the ball - they don't represent the majority and once you take the extended hobbyist vote out of the mix haven't a mandate.

I have suggested repeatedly that APINZ concentrate on winning the hearts and minds of the commercial sector: If your message is symptomatic of the attitude within APINZ they will never ever get there!!

I must thank you however as your constant arrogant diatribe [..and you want to scream long and loud...] has convinced me to actively and vigorously ensure that APINZ (Incl. their ignorant  R & D Division - your message is under their banner and represents the organisation as well as your colleagues) never get a dime of any Levy on the Industry as such a misguided and self righteously ludicrous attitude has no place in the Industry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

No one wishes to attack, they only want answers for their questions, and if questions aren’t answered then people begin to get suspicious as to why this is.

There is certainly a lack of trust here and it’s not hard to see why.

The bulk of the people commenting here are not against money going towards research. It’s the other 60% of the funds disappearing into the ether that we are concerned about.

• Agree 4

20 minutes ago, Daley said:

The bulk of the people commenting here are not against money going towards research. It’s the other 60% of the funds disappearing into the ether that we are concerned about.

The breakdown of the levy is here Daley:  https://apinz.org.nz/proposed-levy-investment-programme/

The admin portion of that is due to the current subscriptions to ApiNZ will end  ie its not the current ApiNZ subscription *and* levy.

I believe this portion is 10% but please confirm this at the meetings

A number of suggestions as to who and what might be levied have been raised. The downside to all these worthwhile considerations is that the costs to administer for these would likely rise, thus possibly negating the industry use of the additional money [JM]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not interested in joining APINZ, if I was I would have already joined.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

I have just visited ApiNz’s website and looked at the membership costs ... will this be ANOTHER cost on top of the Beekeepers and Apiary levy increase, and the possible 10c per kg on extracted honey?? Or will that membership fee disappear? That will mean an extra $172-50 per year for me, if I don’t opt out? And doesn’t ‘opting out’ suggest that you become a member by default?  

11 minutes ago, LadyBug said:

I have just visited ApiNz’s website and looked at the membership costs ... will this be ANOTHER cost on top of the Beekeepers and Apiary levy increase, and the possible 10c per kg on extracted honey?? Or will that membership fee disappear? That will mean an extra $172-50 per year for me, if I don’t opt out? And doesn’t ‘opting out’ suggest that you become a member by default?  

No I believe the membership is included in the levy.

If it goes ahead opting out just means you don’t get a say, but you still have to pay.

4 hours ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

The breakdown of the levy is here Daley:  https://apinz.org.nz/proposed-levy-investment-programme/

The admin portion of that is due to the current subscriptions to ApiNZ will end  ie its not the current ApiNZ subscription *and* levy.

I believe this portion is 10% but please confirm this at the meetings

A number of suggestions as to who and what might be levied have been raised. The downside to all these worthwhile considerations is that the costs to administer for these would likely rise, thus possibly negating the industry use of the additional money [JM]

JM this is not a personal attack, but read your own ApiNZ profit and loss account as I am sure you have done, and it is very clear there is not a hope in heck of the admin being only 10% from levy collected. It will be closer to 15% and if lower honey crops occur and levy collection costs spiral you are heading towards 20%. But then there is the cleaver accounting of clipping a small portion of every category as admin, even your R&D, to make the specific admin category look lower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyBug said:

Just a compelled (against your will) financial supporter of ApiNZ! An organisation who even right now will not answer straight questions with integrity.

Their current mode seems to be to belittle and ridicule any who dare to oppose them.

• Agree 2

I’m actually very angry that 60% of our levy will go into running an organisation I don’t want to join. 

How is that even legal to take a commodity levy and use 60% of it to finance an organisation that has , in the past, been financed by subscriptions. 

The commodity levy has been sold to us as a levy that will go towards research marketing etc not to prop up an organisation that has hardly any members. 

They will I’ll become the industry voice by default not by any kind of democratic process. 

And to say that if we don’t want to be members we won’t have a say on how the levy we have to pay is spent can’t be right surely?

so what of those beekeepers that don’t have to pay a levy but are members of ApiNZ do they get a say ?

or those that dint  have to pay a levy and want to join ApiNZ do they pay a membership ?

Im pretty peed off I gotta say.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 5