ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ Commodity Levy Proposal

22 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Why do you need artificial scent ..... there's enough of the real stuff out there to share around. 

Lol

Basically its a controlled substance.

AFB frames must be burnt as far as I know

13 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Gorse first , then Manuka .

Manuka wins .

And then the native trees can germinate and grow wonderful stands of things like rata, miro, totara? As manuka is the nursery plant of native bush. Is that correct?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Jean MacDonald said:

And then the native trees can germinate and grow wonderful stands of things like rata, miro, totara? As manuka is the nursery plant of native bush. Is that correct?

Yes , Manuka looses in the end .

All the  very lucrative Manuka scrub on the abandoned farms in the whanganui,  taranaki area is doomed too.

All my dad's old stomping ground before the manuka madness. Manuka as a herb is very good stuff. The rata hasn't been looking too flash in some places. Manuka a good sustainable product when (as predicted by quite a few) the honey thing goes the way of the olive groves. Personally I still would buy NZ olive oil over the imports due to the superior quality and it's for real the first pressed olive oil. Manuka also a good challenge to tea tree essential oil. Have been throwing around the idea of weka along the tracks up the mountain as expecting a good dusting of snow in January there as people waltz up there for a summit over a summer weekend. Be good to have some restoration of balance to the whole thing. Might be asking a bit much though. Actually looking at joining APINZ voluntarily. Reading through and listening to their stuff.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jean MacDonald said:

Always assuming there is a seed source.....

Without the intervention of livestock, feral animals and people in the passage of 500 years perhaps other more noble trees would emerge.

That said, in a lifetime of experience I have seen little to no emergence of few other species amongst standing Manuka.

9 minutes ago, Ali said:

Without the intervention of livestock, feral animals and people in the passage of 500 years perhaps other more noble trees would emerge.

That said, in a lifetime of experience I have seen little to no emergence of few other species amongst standing Manuka.

Have heard of a slash and burn policy when it does happen that had a farmer quite irate as was doing reforestation before it was "a la mode". Would other intermediate species like the frost tender kawakawa and some spindly koromiko be required then say makamako and so forth. Have seen poroporo and koromiko appear after 50 or more years of dedicated lawn mowing so some may lie dormant for a long time,

20 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Always assuming there is a seed source.....

Really need some more exercise and hear that tramping is good for the soul ? but seriously " the more things change the more they stay the same". Will just take reponsibility for my little piece of Godzone and learn to weave a flax basket to replace the plastic I use.

1 hour ago, Frederick said:

Further more while I respect most views as they ultimately lead to frank rational discussion, reasonable debate and with luck and hard work, acceptable outcomes I have to ask the question:

Now when you say commercial use what do you mean? I could be a producer who gets my honey conract extracted and only supply the local market.Do I have to pay the levy?

40 minutes ago, Ali said:

That said, in a lifetime of experience I have seen little to no emergence of few othe"r species amongst standing Manuka.

Gosh it is so different here .

In golden bay you can see the Manuka being overtaken but the forest canopy .

Do you think those areas around taranaki will stay always Manuka 

Edited by kaihoka

2 hours ago, Frederick said:

Further more while I respect most views as they ultimately lead to frank rational discussion, reasonable debate and with luck and hard work, acceptable outcomes I have to ask the question:

Hi you seemed to stop at a critical juncture. What question? 

P.S. "rational discussion, reasonable debate" are you sure you're a beekeeper? Just kidding but am interested in your question.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jean MacDonald said:

Hi you seemed to stop at a critical juncture. What question? 

P.S. "rational discussion, reasonable debate" are you sure you're a beekeeper? Just kidding but am interested in your question.

Will leave it at that 'it's what you make of it'!

No downloaded by mistake and lost the line of thought: It would've been good though!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

ApiNZ has very few members.  It does not represent the beekeeping majority. It is run by corporates for corporates, packers and exporters. If you do not want to be  made a member of ApiNZ by default you must vote no to the commodity levy proposal.  You must also make your feelings known by emailing the minister.  You need to be aware that ApiNZ are pushing for three levies.  There is the AFB PMP levy, the Commodity Levy, and the GIA levy.  You need to say no to all three.  If you allow this it will give them a huge amount of power and access to funding to feed their bureaucratic growth.  ApiNZ admitted at conference that they have applied to the minister to be the body which administers the GIA levy.  ApiNZ is already the body which administers the AFB PMP Board as the management agency.  The commodity levy is purely and simply a fundraising  exercise for ApiNZ.  So there are three issues on the table and three applications are needed to the minister to stop all three.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Philbee said:

Lol

Basically its a controlled substance.

AFB frames must be burnt as far as I know

No, you can write it into your deca agreement and keep some in the freezer, I think you get a permit to store it. In fact it’s recommended in the afb book and website. 

14 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

No, you can write it into your deca agreement and keep some in the freezer, I think you get a permit to store it. In fact it’s recommended in the afb book and website. 

That s interesting, however from a practical point of view it makes much better sense to have a quantifiable dose that can be used on a card for example to train a dog.

Once these dogs become more common their value and use will skyrocket.
New Zealand has a very good history of training dogs
The successful use of these dogs will save the industry millions each year

15 hours ago, Jean MacDonald said:

Probably bee a lot of abandoned plantations and self-seeding plants that will require weeding out to plant more manuka as the money wont be in it for illicit supply. Does gorse out-compete manuka? Gorse is very good for the soil as it fixes nitrogen so is excellent for native bush regeneration. Good early source of pollen and nectar for the bee on the brink too.

Judging by our paddocks manuka eventually wins. We did help a bit with some judicious scrub cutting thiugh.

14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Gosh it is so different here .

In golden bay you can see the Manuka being overtaken but the forest canopy .

Do you think those areas around taranaki will stay always Manuka 

The other trees come in and overtake the manuka here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Janice said:

Judging by our paddocks manuka eventually wins. We did help a bit with some judicious scrub cutting thiugh.

It wins in our paddocks too.

It has no natural predators other than a scrub cutter.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

It wins in our paddocks too.

It has no natural predators other than a scrub cutter.

We kind of encouraged it because it's not as prickly in the sheep's wool, it's good shelter and good firewood.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janice said:

The other trees come in and overtake the manuka here.

It takes 30-40 years here for the kanuka to outgrow it here, 40-50 for rewa rewa, Puriri etc

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mrs Bee said:

ApiNZ has very few members.  It does not represent the beekeeping majority. It is run by corporates for corporates, packers and exporters. If you do not want to be  made a member of ApiNZ by default you must vote no to the commodity levy proposal.  You must also make your feelings known by emailing the minister.  You need to be aware that ApiNZ are pushing for three levies.  There is the AFB PMP levy, the Commodity Levy, and the GIA levy.  You need to say no to all three.  If you allow this it will give them a huge amount of power and access to funding to feed their bureaucratic growth.  ApiNZ admitted at conference that they have applied to the minister to be the body which administers the GIA levy.  ApiNZ is already the body which administers the AFB PMP Board as the management agency.  The commodity levy is purely and simply a fundraising  exercise for ApiNZ.  So there are three issues on the table and three applications are needed to the minister to stop all three.

I couldn't agree more @Mrs Bee. The timing of the proposal is exquisite in relation to furthering the the aims of the larger enterprises and shows complete disregard for the smaller operators (the majority of beekeeping enterprises). 

This does not equate to "industry good". 

ApiNZ's lack of transparency (and it seems integrity) is not for industry good either.

What is apparent is that they are not in touch with the situation the majority of the beekeeping industry finds itself in currently. 

It is also apparent is that ApiNZ does not have the acumen required to act in the interests of the majority of beekeeping enterprises with integrity and honesty.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

What amazes me with this tax is it does not capture every commercial honey producer.If I sell to the USA I do not need official assurance.The honey going to the States can or could be extracted in a facility under the Food Control Program so I would not be  extracting the exported honey in a RMP shed so would need to sign the declaration and would not be taxed accordingly.

• Good Info 1

3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Double post 

Edited by kaihoka

3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

It takes 30-40 years here for the kanuka to outgrow it here, 40-50 for rewa rewa, Puriri etc

I planted some rewa rewa this winter.

It may be a while before my bees get honey from it  then 

Is it slow growing .

46 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I planted some rewa rewa this winter.

It may be a while before my bees get honey from it  then 

Is it slow growing .

You two need to get a room !

so off topic !  :) 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 5

Sadly the topic matter is probably the most important since the discovery of Varroa in NZ.

There is nothing pleasant or enjoyable so far in the debate which perhaps leads some folk to want to divert the thread a little.

The reality is that NZ beekeepers stand at a very significant crossroad where for many their enterprises (and living) will be affected by a body of people (ApiNZ) who seem to me to be very far less than open and honest in their business dealings and thus with the majority of beekeepers.

ApiNZ have been given many opportunities to come clean, rectify the matter honestly but have so far continued to cower behind the fog of deceit.

It is very important debate and I think there is a need for the thread to stay on track in the hope of the truth coming to the fore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3