ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ Commodity Levy Proposal

You need to ask the question correctly ie @ApiNZ Levy Proposal how many of the 7836 beekeepers are paid up members of ApiNZ as of the 6 of August 2018. Only beekeepers not and I will emphasize the point.

This is people that you wish to inpose this new tax on and not other non paying are members

Edited by glynn

1 hour ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

As already outlined,   all levy payers will become members of ApiNZ

As previously explained, this process requires a vote.  A levy cannot be introduced without a majority vote.

@ApiNZ Levy Proposal I would like to know if all levy payers become members of ApiNZ do they still pay membership fees? 

The biggest reason we didn’t become members of ApiNZ was because we could see the membership and voting rights would be extremely biased towards corporate beekeeping and here is the first example of what impact that has on the traditional commercial beekeeper who’s voting rights are a joke compared to the likes of Comvita, Manuka Health , etc most of whom are owned by offshore investment funds. 

If we wanted to be a member of ApiNZ we would have joined voluntarily .

21 minutes ago, glynn said:

You need to ask the question correctly ie @ApiNZ Levy Proposal how many of the 7836 beekeepers are paid up members of ApiNZ as of the 6 of August 2018. Only beekeepers not and I will emphasize the point.

This is people that you wish to inpose this new tax on and not other non paying are members

@glynn you must have been on the turps when you posted that !

i reckons it needs a fixin 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@glynn you must have been on the turps when you posted that !

i reckons it needs a fixin 

I was trying to see if I could get a straight answer from them and failed in my attempt at legalese. 

I get told of for speaking common but how f ing hard is it to say we have x number of beekeepers in our club.

Another thing is they can't email nonmembers how in the fogs snakes do they plan to get a fear vote.

@ApiNZ Levy Proposal 

PLEASE PERSON UP AND GIVE A ANSWER YOU SAY YOU HAVE OUR BEST INTERESTS BUT WILL NOT ANSWER A VERY SIMPLE QUESTION

I’m wondering about the whole belonging to ApiNZ if a levy is passed.

if that’s the case they must be taking the membership money from the levy . 

I would like to know if this is What they are intending or not.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1

Well it’s looking like they’ll be getting about 1.5 million out of it so I’m curious what they plan to do with it considering they don’t seem to be overly bee focused

Judging by the number peeps on there website the levy will grow fast .1.5million only be enough for daily cappo 

And while we are sidetracked by the proposed levy debacle there’s also the proposed increase in Apiary levies to deal with as well.

dont you just love how something as important as these two proposed levies is brought to us right in the cusp of a new season rather than during the winter down time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The repeated call for research into varroa and resistance and the want of money to be put into it I would ask why ApiNZ think researchers here can find the answer to the varroa question when all the money being spent in countries that have had it a lot longer than us hasn’t come up with an answer .

If @Philbee staples are as good as they seem to be there is an answer already 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

ApiNZ is currently a voluntary organisation.  If the Commodity levy vote is successful ApiNZ will represent all levy payers.

It is worth noting that all producers of honey that is extracted in New Zealand for commercial use can vote, whether ApiNZ members or not. 

We welcome any coverage on this proposal.  It is a big step for industry and one that is worthy of constructive debate.

For more information I suggest you visit our website.  We also hope to see you at one of the 9 consultation meetings across New Zealand

You are not really answering our questions here, so why turn up to a meeting where they will not be answered!

So, to keep it simple, how many paid up members does ApiNZ have?  

If you are not prepared to be transparent - and lets remember that you are a body that purports to represent us and you intend to through statue expropriate money from us - where does that leave us?    With a big NO.

• Like 2

The fact that you are not prepared to have a meeting in Auckland, given the number of beekeepers in the area - both large and small speaks volumes also.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

And while we are sidetracked by the proposed levy debacle there’s also the proposed increase in Apiary levies to deal with as well.

dont you just love how something as important as these two proposed levies is brought to us right in the cusp of a new season rather than during the winter down time. 

It could have been done so much better. I feel this has to be pushed through suddenly without proper informing the whole industry. Such an important issue as this should be well planned for and get all the necessary information to everybody involved timely. Why not send it out with the April Issue of the Beekeeper Journal (which goes to all registered beekeepers), which is end of the season and everybody has time to think it over. Then with the October Issue of the Beekeeper Journal (also going to everybody) voting could be organized. I can't understand why this has not happened and can only think of ulterior reasons. It doesn't give any confidence; I am not totally against some kind of funding, but with this one I am firmly sitting on the fence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

That wasn't the question outlined above.  Under the commodity levy proposal all levy payers will become members of ApiNZ

well that sucks

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The repeated call for research into varroa and resistance and the want of money to be put into it I would ask why ApiNZ think researchers here can find the answer to the varroa question when all the money being spent in countries that have had it a lot longer than us hasn’t come up with an answer .

If @Philbee staples are as good as they seem to be there is an answer already 

Whats required now is work with other organic acids and Thymol also using this system.
Im working hard with to ensure that there are systems in place that prevent anyone from hijacking this system and cranking up the price.
Its not the Beeks fault that Varroa is hear so its not realistic that this unfortunate turn of events should offer an opportunity for someone to screw the Beeks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

That wasn't the question outlined above.  Under the commodity levy proposal all levy payers will become members of ApiNZ

Sweet. We will at last receive a magazine. By hook an by crook you got us.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Philbee said:

this unfortunate turn of events should offer an opportunity for someone to screw the Beeks.

Maybe you're not as right wing as I first thought.  

14 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We will at last receive a magazine

u mean a selection of advertisement junk for the rubbish. not even good to light the fire.

• Agree 3

What we also need is access to artificial AFB scent 
Then those with the skills could start training AFB dogs

Once there are a few dogs being trained then the talented bloodlines could be identified

The best people to do this are the ones in overalls 

• Agree 3

I think this question now has to taken to the public arena and involve the media. ApiNZ are behaving in a high handed and now devious way given they won't divulge the numbers of registered beekeepers who are members.

It is certainly appearing they are not a truly representative body and are in the business of taking advantage of those they purport to serve.

The Hon. Minister may need to reassess his relationship with ApiNZ for his own integrity's sake.

• Good Info 1

29 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Once there are a few dogs being trained then the talented bloodlines could be identified

Iknow a dog that's very bee-focused after using some honey that ants had gotten at to treat a sting on her snout. Doesnt get distracted by the formic acid taint and after watching me undo the jar figured out how to undo the lid herself I had left there.  A breed fascinated by flying things. Why stop at AFB? What about sniffing incoming beekeepers for hidden"goodies", bee-lining dogs for spotting illegal apiaries in dense bush, alerting the allergic to hidden beekeepers in the room. Would someone like to start a how to train your dog thread?

When cannabis is legal there could be a lot of out of work drug dogs looking for a job .

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

ApiNZ is currently a voluntary organisation.  If the Commodity levy vote is successful ApiNZ will represent all levy payers.

It is worth noting that all producers of honey that is extracted in New Zealand for commercial use can vote, whether ApiNZ members or not. 

We welcome any coverage on this proposal.  It is a big step for industry and one that is worthy of constructive debate.

For more information I suggest you visit our website.  We also hope to see you at one of the 9 consultation meetings across New Zealand

Further more while I respect most views as they ultimately lead to frank rational discussion, reasonable debate and with luck and hard work, acceptable outcomes I have to ask the question:

50 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Why do you need artificial scent ..... there's enough of the real stuff out there to share around. 

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

When cannabis is legal there could be a lot of out of work drug dogs looking for a job .

Probably bee a lot of abandoned plantations and self-seeding plants that will require weeding out to plant more manuka as the money wont be in it for illicit supply. Does gorse out-compete manuka? Gorse is very good for the soil as it fixes nitrogen so is excellent for native bush regeneration. Good early source of pollen and nectar for the bee on the brink too.

9 minutes ago, Jean MacDonald said:

Probably bee a lot of abandoned plantations and self-seeding plants that will require weeding out to plant more manuka as the money wont be in it for illicit supply. Does gorse out-compete manuka? Gorse is very good for the soil as it fixes nitrogen so is excellent for native bush regeneration. Good early source of pollen and nectar for the bee on the brink too.

Gorse first , then Manuka .

Manuka wins .

• Agree 1