ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ Commodity Levy Proposal

On 6/08/2018 at 1:28 PM, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

That wasn't the question outlined above.  Under the commodity levy proposal all levy payers will become members of ApiNZ

what happens if we all refuse to pay this levy, i'am sure they haven't the funds to take us all to court, i for one have not got the money to help shin the bums of a heap of shinny arse's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Mac said:

I attended the Hamilton Commodity Levy meeting yesterday.

One key observation I have to share.

Young beekeepers were in the majority supportive of the levy. I think they could see that a levy would increase research for helping their futures as beekeepers.

Grey haired old beekeepers were against it, and most of them will not be active beekeepers in a few years.

I am still not sure of their motive, but some have done well out of the last levy that contributed some funding for manuka research.

One beekeeper lamented the fact his bees were affected adversely by big beekeepers dumping large numbers of hives in his area.

There is no research being conducted on the bee stocking/carrying capacity of our different environments to date. 

A levy could well fund this type of research. 

Yes, I was one of these grey haired beekeepers, not feeling old though. I am not against a levy for research purpose as I have stated before. Better leave the politics to ApiNZ and NZBeekeeping Inc and have an independant Research fund, funded by a levy, preferable on hives. I see ApiNZ and NZ Beekeeping Inc as lobby "groups".

• Agree 1

By signing this petition you are saying “NO” to having a private body initiating an industry wide tax that will have a severe impact on the number of legitimate beekeepers and honey product sellers. 

https://www.change.org/p/hon-damien-o-connor-stop-the-proposed-levy-on-new-zealand-beekeepers?recruiter=384292744&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Edited by Bangcrash

7 minutes ago, Bangcrash said:

By signing this petition you are saying “NO” to having a private body initiating an industry wide tax that will have a severe impact on the number of legitimate beekeepers and honey product sellers. 

https://www.change.org/p/hon-damien-o-connor-stop-the-proposed-levy-on-new-zealand-beekeepers?recruiter=384292744&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Read the petition, get the facts right. If you want to save the bees, then go and buy NZ honey from those that produce it.

17 minutes ago, Bangcrash said:

It's not a tax . It's a levy . Both totally  different from each other.  Have you been to any of the meetings or tried to find out just what apinz are proposing .

21 minutes ago, Bangcrash said:

Hi Bangcrash
Any chance of elaborating on your Semi commercial status
When folk ask me for their support I like to know a bit about them and what their stake in this industry is

Cheers

Phillip 

What can ApiNZ do if you don’t pay the levy ?

oh they quoted big fines think it was in the vacinity of $200,000 for dishonesty and misrepresention of honey amounts.  The sounds werent good for the hearing challenged.  

59 minutes ago, Bangcrash said:

irrespective of my views on the levy, i only sign or support things that are credible and make sense. as an example, given that the proposed levy is on honey extracted for commercial beekeeping, i fail to see how it will stop people registering their beehives...

A businessmen  once taught me how to cut to the chase and find out what is really at the core of a problem relating to reluctance in individuals or groups.

He would keep asking questions, making a list of the answers and numbering them,
Eventually the reluctant individual or group would run out of smoke screens and cut to the chase.

The real objection would come out.

He taught me that in order to get what you want from people you need to first give them what they want. (generally speaking)

You cant overcome the real objections if you wast time trying to address the smoke screens
In my opinion ApiNZ needs to spend less time inviting questions from the floor and more time asking probing Questions
It also pays to be mindful that it is futile to talk about long term goals with people whose main concern is where their next meal is coming from. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, Don Mac said:

There is no research being conducted on the bee stocking/carrying capacity of our different environments to date. 

A levy could well fund this type of research. 

I would be very disappointed if the proposed levy was used to fund this type of research.

Its pretty easy to work out if you're overstocking an area. In the season You either make honey or you don't. In the off season you either have live bees or have starving bees you have to feed.

Oh! I keep forgetting, common sense is no longer common.

Im sorry but I firmly believe that overstocking is caused by beehavers, not beekeepers. 

Im pretty sure that the beehavers would be putting their hives where ever they could whip out their cheque books anyway.

Rant over, sorry, not sorry if I offended anyone.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

6 hours ago, Don Mac said:

Grey haired old beekeepers were against it, and most of them will not be active beekeepers in a few years.

Really? Are we to be squeezed out (after APINZ has wrung us all out)? 

I for one don't buy your viewpoint one little bit.

Proudly grey and continuing to bee keep is the plan @Don Mac!

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Jose Thayil said:

The first two lines of this article:

Apiculture New Zealand's proposed compulsory industry levy has stung beekeepers into action with claims it could put small operations out of the honey business.

President of New Zealand Beekeeping Russell Berry said his family-owned company Arataki would have to pay about $100,000 a year.

Gotta love an article that introduces the idea that the levy could put small operations out of the honey business then straight away quotes Arataki honey...

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Ali said:

Proudly grey and continuing to bee keep is the plan @Don Mac!

A futile plan if your stress levels are as high as your input here might indicate !

29 minutes ago, Otto said:

The first two lines of this article:

Apiculture New Zealand's proposed compulsory industry levy has stung beekeepers into action with claims it could put small operations out of the honey business.

President of New Zealand Beekeeping Russell Berry said his family-owned company Arataki would have to pay about $100,000 a year.

Gotta love an article that introduces the idea that the levy could put small operations out of the honey business then straight away quotes Arataki honey...

I'd think you'd find that the introduced idea and the quotes come from same source !

ApiNZ chief executive Karin Kos said the money would be invested into areas such as the health of the bee population, biosecurity, education and best beekeeping practice, sustainability, and market access issues.

The above quote is from Karin Kos.

this is one of the reasons I don’t want to pay a levy.

there are 6 possible ideas for receiving levy money, my money.

For me three of them are a nonsense I would hate to think my money would be going into biosecurity, education, best beekeeping practice or sustainability.

all of those apart from biosecurity are things beekeepers should be doing/ knowing themselves with out someone doing “research” to tell us how to do it.

biosecurity is a government responsibility. 

Add to that the voting in what levy money goes where where is based on tonnage of honey produced then the likes of Comvita, Watson’s and Manuka health will have more say than most of the small commercials combined.

i imagine their priorities are very different to mine.

the levy will not put us out of business but it’s another group with their hand out for our hard earned money.

hard earned non Manuka honey at that !

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

A futile plan if your stress levels are as high as your input here might indicate !

Oh @yesbut! I think there are quite a few who are not looking at the APINZ debacle broadly enough. Knowing too well how unscrupulous the large operators can be, the outcome for the majority of NZ smaller beeks is pretty bleak once under their (and thus APINZ's) yoke.

Take the blinkers off!

1 hour ago, JohnF said:

I'd think you'd find that the introduced idea and the quotes come from same source !

It is possible they did. But I think majority of beekeeping enterprises should thank Mr berry for speaking up!

56 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The above quote is from Karin Kos.

this is one of the reasons I don’t want to pay a levy.

there are 6 possible ideas for receiving levy money, my money.

For me three of them are a nonsense I would hate to think my money would be going into biosecurity, education, best beekeeping practice or sustainability.

all of those apart from biosecurity are things beekeepers should be doing/ knowing themselves with out someone doing “research” to tell us how to do it.

biosecurity is a government responsibility

Add to that the voting in what levy money goes where where is based on tonnage of honey produced then the likes of Comvita, Watson’s and Manuka health will have more say than most of the small commercials combined.

i imagine their priorities are very different to mine.

the levy will not put us out of business but it’s another group with their hand out for our hard earned money.

hard earned non Manuka honey at that !

Damien O’Conner has found he’s inherited a massive problem with M Bovis which directly relates to biosecurity. While it is government responsibility to sort it out, his next main priority is getting someone to pay for it as the majority of the govt coffers still come from overseas borrowings .

So industry is squarely in his sites lined up to pay .

In my opinion , the levy represents the beginnings of exactly the same process that agriculture is suffering through and Damien will have at the forefront of his mind , squaring up funding via the apiculture industry , for future biosecurity breaches . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ali said:

Take the blinkers off!

Huffing & puffing on here will achieve nothing but elevated blood pressure.  I'm only following this thread because of a general interest in things bee, and a bad case of forumaholicalism. There's no way a levy of any sort is ever going to catch me. 

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ali said:

It is possible they did. But I think majority of beekeeping enterprises should thank Mr berry for speaking up!

I would never dispute that Russell Berry has done our industry many a great service over his whole lifetime in it. I was merely pointing out that the opening sentence of the article stated:

That would lead me to believe this article is about small beekeeping operations. The only people mentioned in/interviewed for the article are Karin Kos and Russell Berry, neither of whom fit into this category and therefore (for me) the article was missing a vital ingredient to give it credibility.

At what point in this debate do we (small operators) get to put our hands up, have our say and (crucially) actually get heard?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Did anyone get the email from AFB PMP Management saying about the results from the survey they did and due to the amount of people who are against the levy increases they are not going to do it this year? 

Edited by Jose Thayil

Just now, Jose Thayil said:

Did anyone get the email from AFB PMS Management saying about the results from the survey they did and due to the amount of people who are against the levy increases they are not going to do it this year? 

Yes. It is referenced in the AFB levy thread...

I think the size of the operation is relative. While $100,000 is a lot to some (it's a lot anyway!) it is only what the biggest hand out by sleight of hand to their significant employees!

How would you like to be the recipient of 100,000 big C shares at $1.00 each and only have to put up 10% to have them? Same shares were at a big high at the time thus it was pretty much a million dollar hand out.

These guys intend to have the small guy/gal by the short n curlies if APINZ gets away with it's cartel like bid for control.

As I said before @yesbut I refuse to be a part of the silent majority and will continue to oppose the current proposal here and other places.

• Like 2