ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ Commodity Levy Proposal

ApiNZ Commodity Levy Proposal

It is good to see discussion on ApiNZ’s Commodity levy proposal.  This is a significant step for industry and we urge you to take the time to understand the proposal.

This post is to publish details on key information for this levy proposal, particularly the website: https://apinz.org.nz/levy/  and details of our public meetings.  Please RSVP attendance at these meetings to levy@apinz.org.nz.

Why a commodity levy?

A commodity levy that will allow us to address some biosecurity challenges with the continual concern of new pests and diseases, like Small Hive Beetle, European Foulbrood and the Africanised Bee, entering our country.

ApiNZ does what it can on a voluntary basis and with limited funds. But we need to do so much more, and the current voluntary funding model hamstrings our ability, for example, to get national work programmes and multi-season projects underway. 

One of the most common concerns that has come up over this year, centres on managing varroa and concerns about resistance to existing treatments.  For us to fully understand the potential problem and find long term solutions, requires serious industry research investment.  Government is not going to do it for us, but they may come to the party and share in costs if we can present a united, well thought out proposal that demonstrates our long term financial commitment.

The power of a commodity levy also gives us the ability to leverage third-party funding, for example, through the Government Sustainable Farming Fund.

Our aim is to implement a commodity levy that is fair and aimed at supporting the long-term success of our industry.  It is also practical and focused on the commodity, which is honey, not the hive (which was how industry was levied in the past).

What is proposed?

We are proposing a commodity levy of $0.10 per kilogram of honey extracted for commercial purposes, to fund industry-good activities like bee health, biosecurity and market access. This would be collected at the point of extraction.  ApiNZ would also have a web portal for self declaration of any honey extracted in New Zealand for commercial use that is extracted outside of a registered extraction plant. 

This is just a proposal at this stage.  We welcome feedback on the design of the levy. 

How can I have my say?

All commercial members of industry are encouraged to attend the roadshow which is outlined below - please RSVP attendance to levy@apinz.org.nz.

You can also e-mail or call ApiNZ anytime. 

Voting will take place for the whole month of October. 

ApiNZ COMMODITY LEVY ROAD SHOW DETAILS

Time and Date

Venue

Whangarei

Tuesday 14th August

11 am

The Distinction Hotel

9 Riverside Dr, Riverside, Whangarei

Hamilton

Wed 15th August

9 am

Hamilton Airport Conference Centre

Airport Road

New Plymouth

Wednesday 22nd August

2:00 pm

New Plymouth International Hotel

Corner  Courtenay & Leach St

Palmerston North

Thursday 23rd August

9 am

The Coachman Hotel

140 Fitzherbert Ave

Gisborne

Monday 27 August

10:30 am

Cosmopolitan Club

190 Derby St

Napier

Tuesday 28 August

4:00 pm

Napier

Havelock North Community Centre

30 Te Mata Road

Nelson

Tuesday 4th September

10:30 am

The Rutherford Hotel

Trafalgar Square

Christchurch

Wednesday 5th September

10 am

Hornby Working Mens Club

17 Carmen Road Hornby

Dunedin

Thursday 6th September

10 am

Scenic City Hotel

123 Princess Street

• Thanks 1

@ApiNZ Levy Proposal, why isn't there a meeting in Auckland? I realise there is hardly a viable hub, but surely there are enough registered commercials to justify one, as the MPI Manuka Roadshow also missed Auckland and we all had to troop to Hamilton or Whangarei.

We have tried to spread ourselves over as much of the country as we can.  We are also looking to run two webinar's that people can dial into.  I will post information on this soon.

When are we going to get an answer to the membership of Apinz. The longer this goes unanswered makers us all more skeptical of the agenda.

• Agree 3

Not entirely sure of the question here!  ApiNZ membership information is freely available on our website.  As is levy information

What part of how many currently registered beekeepers are currently members of ApiNZ 

do you not comprehend???????????????????????/

That wasn't the question outlined above.  Under the commodity levy proposal all levy payers will become members of ApiNZ

Really and truly! The question has been asked asked! ApiNZ's integrity is really being brought into question the longer this question goes unanswered.

Is someone going to show some integrity and directly answer or not???

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

That wasn't the question outlined above.  Under the commodity levy proposal all levy payers will become members of ApiNZ

So levy forced on people without a vote, and to cap it forced membership of the cruds that screws the levy out of them, how truly wonderful!

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

As outlined in all consultation material there will be a vote.  More than 50% have to vote for a levy for it to come in to law. 

If the levy vote is successful levy payers can elect to opt out of joining ApiNZ.  Paying the levy, however, would not be optional.

We do encourage people to attend one of the 9 consultation meetings or e-mail questions directly.

More information is available on our website.

It is my opinion @ApiNZ Levy Proposal that you lack the support of beekeepers and in that you will not answer the question of membership numbers it is my now firmly held opinion that the organisation totally lacks integrity and transparency.

There can only be one reason you will not freely give out your membership numbers and that is in my opinion smelling very strongly of corruption.

I hope all NZ beekeepers can and will show their displeasure.

For me, last chance ApiNZ! Come clean on your current membership numbers.

It is becoming my firm opinion that the media now needs to air this matter.

ApiNZ is currently a voluntary organisation.  If the Commodity levy vote is successful ApiNZ will represent all levy payers.

It is worth noting that all producers of honey that is extracted in New Zealand for commercial use can vote, whether ApiNZ members or not. 

We welcome any coverage on this proposal.  It is a big step for industry and one that is worthy of constructive debate.

For more information I suggest you visit our website.  We also hope to see you at one of the 9 consultation meetings across New Zealand

As per the recent NZR release '[...Honey Industry like the 'Wild West', minister says..] which reads more like a self justifying public discussion between the Minister and APINZ for our benefit re: Levying the industry at 10c / Kg can I ask 'APINZ Levy Proposal' the following:

1. What budget / rational is APINZ working on to justify the Levy at any level?
  2. How are they going to protect us from specifically whom and what?
  3. As the main protection to the Manuka Honey Industry seems to be originating from the UMF Association should we be looking towards them for rational input? And then again maybe they should be getting a percentage of any levy that's set?
  4. Or what about 'New Zealand Beekeeping Incorporated': This group is set up by commercial operators for the benefit of the commercial sector - What makes APINZ think they are better equipped to represent the interests of commercial operators than the commercial operators themselves?
  5. Give most organisations a grant and they'll spend it: Ask for a competitive budget for a defined task and I suggest you'll have a more acceptable outcome: Therefor where's the specific information to back APINZ's case?
  6. If the industry's returns '5 billion dollars' to the economy as quoted by various parties and the return to beekeeper / packers is less than 10% of this why aren't the benefactors of the remaining 90%+ being asked to stump up their share?
  7. And finally does APINZ represent the majority of the commercial small to medium beekeepers so as to afford them the self posturing position of 'Industry Spokesman'.

'APINZ Levy Proposal' please answer these queries/questions to the best of your ability; you may well convince me to back you but at the moment I'm sliding off the other side of the fence and your obstinacy in not answering basic queries such as your number of commercial members does you no good at all!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@ApiNZ Levy Proposalwhere is your integrity? I say you represent a very small section of the registered beekeepers and lack the honesty and transparency to declare your membership numbers.

You do yourselves massive discredit but not divulging this information and the question must be asked if you are a suitable body any longer to claim itself to be the peak organisation. 

It begins to appear to me that the only persons who will immediately benefit from your levy proposal is the current membership of ApiNZ and I feel your employees.

Your distinct lack of transparency bodes very badly for the whole beekeeping/Honey industry.

It is my opinion that ApiNZ is discrediting the whole industry by their lack of transparency.

Edited by Ali
  • Like 1

Where is the mandate from the NZ beekeeping community that allows ApiNZ to hold yourself out to the NZ Government as representing the interests of the majority of NZ beekeepers?

Where is the mandate from the NZ beekeeping community for ApiNZ to pursue this (self-serving) levy proposal?  

@Ali makes a valid point.

• Agree 4

To better understand the commodity levy process you ought to attend one of our 9 consultation meetings.

As already outlined,   all levy payers will become members of ApiNZ

As previously explained, this process requires a vote.  A levy cannot be introduced without a majority vote.

We look forward to seeing you at one of the 9 consultation meetings. 

As above, the levy proposal is subject to an industry vote.  Greater than 50% must vote for it to be passed.  This could also be described as a mandate.

With so many useful questions we look forward to a strong turn out at the consultation meetings

As above; your obstinacy and arrogance has lost me!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

As above, the levy proposal is subject to an industry vote.  Greater than 50% must vote for it to be passed.  This could also be described as a mandate.

With so many useful questions we look forward to a strong turn out at the consultation meetings

So I think people we can assume from this response Apinz is not prepared to divulge their membership numbers.  We can only guess why - because their beekeeper membership is very low and they don’t want to admit it.  Simple solution to this - everyone vote no and they are dead in the water.

• Agree 3

I am not a member of ApiNZ. I'm pretty sure under the current structure I don't want to be a member. Offering membership to ApiNZ as part of the levy does not make this deal sound more attractive, rather I feel forced and coerced into some thing I don't want.

Im also not keen on paying a 10c per kilo levy on honey I haven't sold. At extraction time this is an extra cost when the pockets are lean. 

We we are small commercial beekeepers. We love our lifestyle. This levy threatens the very heart of our business.

I will attend the meeting, however I have little faith in consultation in the honey industry.

• Like 4

Will you be able to answer the membership number question by then ?

Funny thing is why are these sort of votes always when we the beekeepers are at our busiest or is this a plan where did I put my tinfoil hat....

If chose to opt out of the apinz club what discount will you offer. 

I will read through and have more answers will you answer them in here as you will probably know public meetings aren't always the best place to get a straight answer on record.

As stated many times before there is a big trust issue with Apinz this has not helped 

1 minute ago, Bron said:

I am not a member of ApiNZ. I'm pretty sure under the current structure I don't want to be a member. Offering membership to ApiNZ as part of the levy does not make this deal sound more attractive, rather I feel forced and coerced into some thing I don't want.

Im also not keen on paying a 10c per kilo levy on honey I haven't sold. At extraction time this is an extra cost when the pockets are lean. 

We we are small commercial beekeepers. We love our lifestyle. This levy threatens the very heart of our business.

I will attend the meeting, however I have little faith in consultation in the honey industry.

Thank you well said

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes well said Bron

Effectively I am of the opinion that its a done deal with the Minister and APINZ colluding on this and I have little faith in the Consultation.

The small to medium sized commercial beekeepers have always been the lifeblood of the industry and in this case APINZ may well force this through with the Corporate Beekeeping Vote backed by other voting groups (marketers, gear suppliers, packers and various other hangers on). Effectively your business and other like minded entities within the industry may well pay dearly for this in the future.

Therefor we must call the parties (The Minister and APINZ) to account and challenge the position they're putting forward!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

Not entirely sure of the question here!  ApiNZ membership information is freely available on our website.  As is levy information

Is it? Because I just looked.

In the interest of remaining a trusted and united body I suggest you answer questions with transparency.

According to your website there are 7,836 registered beekeepers in NZ as of June 2017, how many of these beekeepers are APINZ members?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1