Jump to content
Trevor Gillbanks

SNI Beekeeping Group Inc

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

85 people attended the field day which was a fantastic turn out.

Membership is now at almost 150 and increasing steadily.

 

Ben from MPI visited our group (at our request) to give us an update on his job as Exotic surveillance manager and (I think AFB PMP) Manager.  A very enlighten presentation and he was very receptive to our input and took plenty of notes.

After lunch we had a visit by Clifton King to discuss the AFB PMP.  My hat goes out to Clifton as he was prepared to walk into the lions den and take on the feelings of our group with regards to the  direction the Agency is going down.

great to hear that there was a decent turnout, would have been keen if i had been in the country.

I'm impressed that both Ben from MPI and Clifton King visited the group, particularly Clifton - so far he seems to be making a lot of good steps in a direction that i like as far as running the AFB programme goes, and is happy to engage with stakeholders

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
Name correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Clifton King visited the group, particularly Clifton - so far he seems to be making a lot of good steps in a direction that i like as far as running the AFB programme goes, and is happy to engage with stakeholders

I have to say that I was quite impressed with his ability to stand up to the historic hostilities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Trev do you mind posting your update on the commercial beekeeping page on Facebook thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, glynn said:

Hi Trev do you mind posting your update on the commercial beekeeping page on Facebook thanks.

I will see what I can do.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, glynn said:

Hi Trev do you mind posting your update on the commercial beekeeping page on Facebook thanks.

Sorry Glynn I cannot link my post to the Commercial group

I think not enough access.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all 150 plus members that have now paid up.  A big thanks for your ongoing support.

 

Our latest newsletter (all 27 pages) has been sent out to all members.  A special supplementary newsletter on the pros and cons of the ApiNZ honey levy will be coming out shortly.  It is important that everyone with 25 plus beehives vote on this proposal as it may affect you for the next 5 plus years, or at least until the next vote.

We pass on all the best for the upcoming festive season and wish you all the best for 2019 and the bee season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Southern North Island beekeeping Inc has organised another Field Day.
Sunday 24th March at Waireka Honey Centre. SH 1 by the Rongotea Road turnoff.
To all my beekeeping friends I would love to see you there.

Here is the flyer for the Field Day.

Please pass it on as you see fit.

 

Autumn field day flyer 1.pdf

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like a great schedule, hope it goes well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Southern North Island beekeeping Inc has organised another Field Day.
Sunday 24th March at Waireka Honey Centre. SH 1 by the Rongotea Road turnoff.
To all my beekeeping friends I would love to see you there.

Here is the flyer for the Field Day.

Please pass it on as you see fit.

 

Autumn field day flyer 1.pdf

Very Good

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thank you beekeepers for your support on the no vote.

We still support the concept of a Commodity Levy but only strictly for research administered by an independent body similar to the forestry industry.

Our group will now start consultations with the other beekeeping groups including ApiNZ to formulate a proposal that we hope will attract all commercial beekeepers' support.

This could take a year to formulate, and will be set low initially being mindful of the financial conditions we all are faced with.

We are disappointed by ApiNZ reaction to this overwhelming rejection.

Gary Sinkinson

Chairman of the Southern North Island Beekeepers Group Inc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Trevor Gillbanks why the obsession with research ?

 

The most important issue right now for commercial beekeepers producing non Manuka honey would be selling the seasons crop. 

Or is the research to help Manuka producers reach the billion dollar target that MPI continually tell us is achievable?

 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Trevor Gillbanks why the obsession with research ?

 

The most important issue right now for commercial beekeepers producing non Manuka honey would be selling the seasons crop. 

Or is the research to help Manuka producers reach the billion dollar target that MPI continually tell us is achievable?

 

Certainly not as far as SNI is concerned. We need to discuss and assist New Zealand beekeepers. If there is a need for a levy, then that needs to be established before it is put to a vote. It needs to be consensus not coersion.  If there is no need for research then so be it.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We held our Autumn Field Day today at Waireka Honey Centre.

Over 100 members and visitors attended.

Some great speakers and information passed on.

Great to chat with @Philbee and listen to him speak about his journey with OA/Gly staples.

Special thanks to Kate and Staff at Waireka Honey Center for making her facilities available for the day.

 

 

20190324_101211.jpg

20190324_101216.jpg

20190324_101220.jpg

20190324_101238.jpg

20190324_101813.jpg

20190324_101818.jpg

20190324_101822.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Survey Monkey.

 

Our SNIBG Inc has decided to do a survey on the outcome of the ApiNZ Commodity Levy to see what the feedback is from beekeepers and to see if there is a way forward.

Below is a copy of the letter that we have sent to all out members with a link to Survey Monkey.

You can only do this survey once and it should only take about 5 minutes. (Please feel free to take longer if you wish).

 

Thanks everyone for your anticipated  assistance.

 

Trev.

 

Dear Fellow Beekeepers,

 

It was fantastic to see so many of you at our Southern North Island Beekeeping Group Inc. (Hereafter abbreviated to SNIBG) March Field day.  We had over 100 members attend.  Many of you were concerned to learn more about ApiNZ’s Levy defeat, and what we as a group wanted to see happen next.

 

Following the subsequent committee meeting, we have agreed that it is important to take a pause and to ask our members and the wider industry how they feel about a levy and about the defeated ApiNZ proposal. We wish to understand why the community responded to the ApiNZ levy proposal as it did; to understand what our industry believes are the most important issues facing Apiculture and how we as a community should be reacting.

 

In order to gather everybody’s thoughts in a fair and balanced way we have created an online survey.  Whilst we recognise that some of us have a reluctance to click on links from unsolicited emails this method is the only practical, timely, financially responsible way for us to be able to undertake a survey of this kind.

 

Please be assured that at no time is any of your data shared outside of the organisation.  Participants data will not be shared or stored by SNIBG.  We will not upload any contacts or personal information in creating the survey. The individual survey responses will be treated with absolute confidentiality and individual data is not accessible by anyone in either the industry nor the club.  Access to the survey is solely by an individual club member; A hobbyist with a background in advocacy.  Please be assured that the Survey monkey website that we have chosen is a well established website with a reputation for security and excellence in data handling.

 

 

We hope to receive as many responses as possible so that we can be sure that we continue to understand your thoughts and feelings on the levy.

 

You can participate by clicking here:

 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LYPCRJW

 

 

 

 

 

We plan to keep the survey open for two weeks but hope that you will feel able to take part as soon as possible.

 

We look forward to sharing the results with you all both in the SNIBG newsletter and in the form of a report which we will send out to all supporting groups.

 

Thank you for your time and support.

 

Best wishes

 

Gary Sinkinson, Chair, Southern North Island Beekeeping

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done, but interesting to note it’s allabout funding science research which I think is a waste of money right now when we don’t have a market for our honey.

to my mind finding good markets for our non Manuka honey is more important than anything . 

Without markets there won’t be enough beekeepers left to pay a levy that would pay enough to be useful .

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Done, but interesting to note it’s allabout funding science research which I think is a waste of money right now when we don’t have a market for our honey.

to my mind finding good markets for our non Manuka honey is more important than anything . 

Without markets there won’t be enough beekeepers left to pay a levy that would pay enough to be useful .

Well said, I also came to that thought.  I always thought far too much emphasis on research.  

Shame that there wasn't a 'unsure' for a few questions- to account for my ignorance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Done, but interesting to note it’s allabout funding science research which I think is a waste of money right now when we don’t have a market for our honey.

to my mind finding good markets for our non Manuka honey is more important than anything . 

Without markets there won’t be enough beekeepers left to pay a levy that would pay enough to be useful .

 

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Well said, I also came to that thought.  I always thought far too much emphasis on research.  

Shame that there wasn't a 'unsure' for a few questions- to account for my ignorance. 

 

This was purely to survey the Commodity Levy failure.

 

Also our first attempt at using Survey Monkey.  We also left enough space to free form your answers.  Or at least that is what we tried.

 

We will be running a few more of these to see what the bee industry wants us to do and the direction you want to take our group.  

We want to be lead by the beekeepers and not dictate to the beekeepers on what we think.  Any and all feedback is useful.

Thanks you for doing the survey.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Southern North Island Beekeeping Group have been asked to  share this email that we have received.
 
URGENT ATTENTION: MPI have downloaded a list of all customers whose beekeeper listing expired in August 2019. As it stands, there are 140 beekeepers who have not renewed their listing.
 
ARE YOU ON THAT LIST? Please check your registration.
 
MPI advises that should you wish to extract and supply honey for export then you will need to re-register immediately. The form for this process can be found at this link:
 
 
If MPI do not hear from you by the 25th October 2019 you will be removed from the register.
 
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Trevor Gillbanks. A good timely reminder . Mine expires Feb 2020.

one of the downsides of not having my email listed , is I don’t get reminders .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Thanks @Trevor Gillbanks. A good timely reminder . Mine expires Feb 2020.

one of the downsides of not having my email listed , is I don’t get reminders .

They send me a snail mail normally 🤔

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Thanks @Trevor Gillbanks. A good timely reminder . Mine expires Feb 2020.

one of the downsides of not having my email listed , is I don’t get reminders .

Yes.  That is why our SNI group is sending this out in as many formats as possible.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2019 at 4:32 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Survey Monkey.

 

Our SNIBG Inc has decided to do a survey on the outcome of the ApiNZ Commodity Levy to see what the feedback is from beekeepers and to see if there is a way forward.

Below is a copy of the letter that we have sent to all out members with a link to Survey Monkey.

You can only do this survey once and it should only take about 5 minutes. (Please feel free to take longer if you wish).

 

Thanks everyone for your anticipated  assistance.

 

Trev.

 

Dear Fellow Beekeepers,

 

It was fantastic to see so many of you at our Southern North Island Beekeeping Group Inc. (Hereafter abbreviated to SNIBG) March Field day.  We had over 100 members attend.  Many of you were concerned to learn more about ApiNZ’s Levy defeat, and what we as a group wanted to see happen next.

 

Following the subsequent committee meeting, we have agreed that it is important to take a pause and to ask our members and the wider industry how they feel about a levy and about the defeated ApiNZ proposal. We wish to understand why the community responded to the ApiNZ levy proposal as it did; to understand what our industry believes are the most important issues facing Apiculture and how we as a community should be reacting.

 

In order to gather everybody’s thoughts in a fair and balanced way we have created an online survey.  Whilst we recognise that some of us have a reluctance to click on links from unsolicited emails this method is the only practical, timely, financially responsible way for us to be able to undertake a survey of this kind.

 

Please be assured that at no time is any of your data shared outside of the organisation.  Participants data will not be shared or stored by SNIBG.  We will not upload any contacts or personal information in creating the survey. The individual survey responses will be treated with absolute confidentiality and individual data is not accessible by anyone in either the industry nor the club.  Access to the survey is solely by an individual club member; A hobbyist with a background in advocacy.  Please be assured that the Survey monkey website that we have chosen is a well established website with a reputation for security and excellence in data handling.

 

 

We hope to receive as many responses as possible so that we can be sure that we continue to understand your thoughts and feelings on the levy.

 

You can participate by clicking here:

 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LYPCRJW

 

 

 

 

 

We plan to keep the survey open for two weeks but hope that you will feel able to take part as soon as possible.

 

We look forward to sharing the results with you all both in the SNIBG newsletter and in the form of a report which we will send out to all supporting groups.

 

Thank you for your time and support.

 

Best wishes

 

Gary Sinkinson, Chair, Southern North Island Beekeeping

Trev

what were the results of the survey monkey we did?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Trev

what were the results of the survey monkey we did?

@Dennis Crowley Remember that this survey was done around the time of the Levy Vote and as you will remember there was some pretty heated discussions on this forum both for and against and some feelings were running pretty high.  

The results of the survey unequivocally were against the levy and of ApiNZ running the levy and the results reflect a distinct lack of trust against ApiNZ.

There was no or very little hint of lack of finance as to being the reason for rejecting the levy.

 

The survey was limited in that our group is the minority group of organised beekeepers. However, there was a reasonable portion of beekeepers that did not belong to any of the three recognised groups who participated in the Survey.  It was an interesting exercise and something we are likely to do again in the future. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, M4tt said:

Thanks @Trevor Gillbanks. A good timely reminder . Mine expires Feb 2020.

one of the downsides of not having my email listed , is I don’t get reminders .

 

Yes thanks @Trevor Gillbanks I’ve just checked and our registration has lapsed but we never received any reminder at all and it’s not something I even gave a moments thought so am pleased you posted.

gotta say it’s pretty slack not getting a reminder.

 

question to anyone who knows do I have to fill everything out all over again like the registered company address and the NZ business number etc ?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...