SNI Beekeeping Group Inc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a member of SNI Beekeeping Group Inc. This group was formed out of the members of the old NBA Group and then latterly the ApiNZ Hub (although we never actually joined ApiNZ. This group

Done, but interesting to note it’s allabout funding science research which I think is a waste of money right now when we don’t have a market for our honey. to my mind finding good markets for our

To be fair.  Duncan has stepped up to the mark pretty quick.  For a Government Agency, I think he has done very well. I am sure his predecessor would not have stepped up.  Look how he treated us

Posted Images

On 5/08/2018 at 5:54 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I am a member of SNI Beekeeping Group Inc.

This group was formed out of the members of the old NBA Group and then latterly the ApiNZ Hub (although we never actually joined ApiNZ.

This group is solely concerned about bees and beekeeper issues.

Our group encompasses at old region of Taranaki, Wanganui, Manawatu, Wairarapa and Wellington.  However, if you live outside our region you are still welcome to join our group.

We have no alliances with any group.

We have established our own Incorporated Society, Bank Accounts ,  and Web Page http://www.snibeekeeping.nz/..

Membership forms are available via our web page http://www.snibeekeeping.nz/files/SNI Membership Form.pdf  Subs are only $10.00 PA this year and may increase as we see how our costings  work out.  This Subscription is mostly to pay for establishing our database.

We have released our first newsletter and I attach that here. Please pass it on to all your beekeeping friends.

I have spoken with @Grant and he has kindly given me permission to start this thread and to promote our group.

WWW.nzbees.net neither supports nor rejects our group.

Please reply here if you want more information.

newsletter No 1 July 2018.pdf

chuck a post on that backyard bees group on facebook that i admin. I could, but probably better coming from someone who is directly involved.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
Edit quote
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

All done.  All good.  We need to reach as many people/Beekeepers as possible.  How do I attach the newsletter in facebook.

took me a while to figure it out - go to files on the left hand menu when you're on a group page, then hit upload file

• Thanks 1
On 5/08/2018 at 5:54 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I am a member of SNI Beekeeping Group Inc.

This group was formed out of the members of the old NBA Group and then latterly the ApiNZ Hub (although we never actually joined ApiNZ.

This group is solely concerned about bees and beekeeper issues.

Our group encompasses at old region of Taranaki, Wanganui, Manawatu, Wairarapa and Wellington.  However, if you live outside our region you are still welcome to join our group.

We have no alliances with any group.

We have established our own Incorporated Society, Bank Accounts ,  and Web Page http://www.snibeekeeping.nz/..

Membership forms are available via our web page http://www.snibeekeeping.nz/files/SNI Membership Form.pdf  Subs are only $10.00 PA this year and may increase as we see how our costings  work out.  This Subscription is mostly to pay for establishing our database.

We have released our first newsletter and I attach that here. Please pass it on to all your beekeeping friends.

I have spoken with @Grant and he has kindly given me permission to start this thread and to promote our group.

WWW.nzbees.net neither supports nor rejects our group.

Please reply here if you want more information.

newsletter No 1 July 2018.pdf

I just read through your newsletter. It’s very well written and I’d recommend others take the time to read it too. It had a very good synopsis of the levy proposal. It wasn’t slanted in any direction and answered a few of my questions that Apinz hadn’t. 

Also gave me a few thoughts on my afb levy submission. 

Edit quote
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
27 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

I just read through your newsletter. It’s very well written and I’d recommend others take the time to read it too. It had a very good synopsis of the levy proposal. It wasn’t slanted in any direction and answered a few of my questions that Apinz hadn’t. 

Also gave me a few thoughts on my afb levy submission. 

Thanks @nikki watts. Please feel free to pass on the newsletter to any of your beekeeping friends.

Also, just because you live on Great Barrier Island does not mean you cannot join our group.  The more members and hives we get then the more influence we will have.

We have submitted submissions about both the Honey Levy and the AFB levy.

Please send your own submissions to damien.oconnor@parliament.govt.nz We have been reliably informed that he hates getting these submissions, so please make the effort.

Thanks

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Bikernz said:

I have already submitted my thoughts on the AFB levy proposal and the performance of the AFB PMP Agency in general. Are you suggesting that this same material should be sent to the Minister as well?

Yes. Absolutely,  The more the minister gets swamped with this, the more he is likely to react.

Remember, not voting is a yes vote.

• 4 weeks later...

My view is that the News letter is Poor
It is the product, one would assume, of a group yet reads as if it is the opinion of Just one person
A person who lost half their Hives and blamed someone else.
Who is this person and are they equipt to front and educate readers?
Im a very fair minded person and this news letter disturbs me.

• Agree 1
15 minutes ago, Philbee said:

It is the product, one would assume, of a group yet reads as if it is the opinion of Just one person

there's a lot to be said for bylines - thinking of things like climbing or tramping club newsletters, fish & game magazines, etc.

Nice to know who is doing the writing, and the diversity of writers. Similar to posts on here being attributed rather than anonymous.

Just a suggestion, it's obviously up to the SNI membership to decide on how their newsletter works, not some outsider looking in :)

25 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

there's a lot to be said for bylines - thinking of things like climbing or tramping club newsletters, fish & game magazines, etc.

Nice to know who is doing the writing, and the diversity of writers. Similar to posts on here being attributed rather than anonymous.

Just a suggestion, it's obviously up to the SNI membership to decide on how their newsletter works, not some outsider looking in :)

The News letter is now a public piece, on an open forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had our group meeting today which included a debrief of our field day that we held in Wanganui.

85 people attended the field day which was a fantastic turn out.

Membership is now at almost 150 and increasing steadily.

Our group represents over 18000 beehives.  Largest commercial has over 4000 hives and of course we have many hobbyist beekeepers.

Our financials are looking a lot healthier after the field day and we have been able to pay back our small startup loan that we took out.

Ben from MPI visited our group (at our request) to give us an update on his job as Exotic surveillance manager and (I think AFB PMP) Manager.  A very enlighten presentation and he was very receptive to our input and took plenty of notes.

After lunch we had a visit by Clifton King to discuss the AFB PMP.  My hat goes out to Clifton as he was prepared to walk into the lions den and take on the feelings of our group with regards to the  direction the Agency is going down.

As a group we welcome any new members who would like to join our group and for only $10.00 PA fees you will also get a monthly newsletter that is dedicated to bees and no adverts.

You can join our group through our web site.

http://www.snibeekeeping.nz/