BrentG

NZBF Dead youngsters?

Hi folk. This morning a small pile (8) tiny bees shunted out onto the landing board. Assuming newly emerged.

Should I be concerned? Or is this normal? Fine day in Auckland and the rest of them bringing in heaps of Pollen and nectar.

My noob eyes cant see any mites, or are they the black dot on two of them. Sorry about the pic. Cellphone only.

Bees.jpg

Edited by BrentG
add text.

I find dead ones frequently, especially on a nice warm day after a period of wet.

In early winter there were days when I wondered if anyone would be left inside, as cold, wet and dead bees would be out in front in quantities far greater than 8. They were generally old bees though.

Keep in mind that laying is likely on a bit of an increase at the moment and 8 would represent a minuscule fraction of likely laying at the moment. I wouldn’t worry at all. I’m pretty new too, so keep that in mind.

Treated with Apivar at the end of February. should I treat now with bayvoral or an organic something, hesitant to break into the hive in August. i don't have access to Oxalic.

Open the hive and have a look inside.

See if you have spotty frames(brood here and there). That is PM thanks to varroa.

A nice compact brood pattern will tell that all is good. Also you can check their food.

I plan to open  my hives tomorrow morning and prepare them for apivar(I use bayvarol in autumn).

Thank you Kiwi Bee, Are you placing apivar in tomorrow?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Open the hive and have a look inside.

See if you have spotty frames(brood here and there). That is PM thanks to varroa.

A nice compact brood pattern will tell that all is good. Also you can check their food.

I plan to open  my hives tomorrow morning and prepare them for apivar(I use bayvarol in autumn).

Spotty brood? Don't total freak out on spotty brood.if like where I am and fine spells are between long spells of wet, when ya open ya hive the only brood remaing can only be what's left after a period of laying after a sudden rush of activity.when a lot has emerged and older cells make it left looking spotty without any free brood being laid.

18 hours ago, BrentG said:

Thank you Kiwi Bee, Are you placing apivar in tomorrow?

It was raining so later in the next week I will do it.

Ok, so I had a look inside, Its humming, I lost count at about 1 million, 435 thousand bees..?. They all look very healthy with a few frames of solid brood in the bottom box. The top box has five frames of honey, three in the process of being loaded but uncapped. The other frames in the top box are loaded with bees drawing out I presume. I'm assuming the dead young ones are isolated. I checked for AFB in the capped brood cells and they were clear.

Anyway and strangely several bees managed to get under my hood  and I was stung several times but managed to reassemble both boxes. Unfortunately I went into anaphylactic shock and was ambulanced to Auckland hospital for overnight. Several adrenaline shots and two drips later I have been warned by the doctors that I am extremely allergic and cannot get any more stings.

Sadly, the fun police have got me and I need to quit the beekeeping which is devastating. Therefore I have a two high hive in central Auckland humming with bees and will be open to offers. I would be happy for this to go to a hobby guy in Auckland who loves bees. You must pack it and pick this up and I cannot help unfortunately at the risk of more stings. I would consider any offer, real cheap if you take it away.

• Sad 8

After the horse has bolted, I wonder if you crossed the tabs on the hood zip over before securing the velcro tab ? If you don't there can be a bee sized gap there...

Has anyone else had this happen with the extent of being hospitalized but still kept bees?

1 hour ago, BrentG said:

Has anyone else had this happen with the extent of being hospitalized but still kept bees?

It happened to my brother when he was a kid and he had to go through desensitisation.

if it was me I would get a new hobby but also have an epipen on hand always even though no longer doing bees. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BrentG said:

Yes . One of my kids had a major reaction and was hospitalised . So was I as a kid, and I was allergic for years . 

Both of us have been fortunate enough to react less to stings over time . 

Obviously quite a shock for you . I’m not sure there is a quick easy fix 

I am sure I swelled up more as a kid and it must have hurt a lot .

I think that was why I avoided bee keeping for so long , because I was afraid of getting stung .

Unusually I got stung three times a few days ago , I barely notice it now .

Thankfully you are OK after the ordeal! I know  a couple of people who have been de-sensitized however it takes quite a while so if you want to go that route it will be better to sell your bees and re-start if and when you are told it is safe to do so.

• Agree 1