M4tt

August 2018 Apiary Diary

On 18/08/2018 at 8:49 PM, Philbee said:

From the very beginning, when I read for the first time about Randy Oliver's Shop Towel system, one sentence has stuck with me.
It was Randy quoting his son who said that there was too much labor involved and Shop Towels would never fly.

I think the son was referring to the cardboard strips, not the shop towels. He did the math and inserting loads of strips was going to be too time consuming. 

There are beekeepers only using cardboard strips with good success (as far as I know, one hasn't used anything else since last Sept). 

My summer/autumn experiment using cards (50 hives, over 8 or more sites) did not work that well. The bees drifted away from the cards and mite load still remained.  Maybe a time of year thing?  Bees not as active? I think having an active moving ahead hive helps spread the ingredients. The shop towels the previous year, awful.  Propolised them and again in summer/autumn. 

The cardboards are easier to push in. The gib tape has a wider surface area=more contact onto bees. The Card boards seem to hold more ingredient and I think releases the ingredients over a longer period of time. The cardboards tend to absorb moisture from the air. 

I also noticed brood dies when the card/gib makes close contact.  The gib tape is wider so more dead brood. Whether it's the acid or just lack of access? 

On 18/08/2018 at 9:32 PM, jamesc said:

Forgive me Brothers for the torrent of communication, but being home alone gives one time to think..... and I was thinking about the honey I packed today. Not a lot , 50 500gms in about an hour. The Missus was giving me grief the other day about Stella sitting idle in the shed . She only gets cranked up for the long hauls over the hill or up North, or maybe South where ever the nectar might be. But  anyway, I put into context the other day. That Truck sitting in the shed really does'nt cost us anything.  $192 for a COF for the season equates to  a little under 20 500gm pots of honey in the Pop Up shop. Another 30 will cover the rego. In the scheme of things thats not too bad.

The point is, as I was trying to explain to the bank the other day, is that the return on capital from bees far surpasses most forms of agriculture .

We as an industry we need to keep that in the fore front of our minds as we cruise into another season of uncertainty of low prices. 

You forgot Insurance, the biggest bill. Many little pots. 

Where will your popie shopie operate?  Do/did you have to get some kind of transit type approval? 

5 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Whether it's the acid or just lack of access

I believe it’s lack of access . Where the queen can squeeze underneath and lay eggs , she will 

5 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I think the son was referring to the cardboard strips, not the shop towels. He did the math and inserting loads of strips was going to be too time consuming. 

There are beekeepers only using cardboard strips with good success (as far as I know, one hasn't used anything else since last Sept). 

My summer/autumn experiment using cards (50 hives, over 8 or more sites) did not work that well. The bees drifted away from the cards and mite load still remained.  Maybe a time of year thing?  Bees not as active? I think having an active moving ahead hive helps spread the ingredients. The shop towels the previous year, awful.  Propolised them and again in summer/autumn. 

The cardboards are easier to push in. The gib tape has a wider surface area=more contact onto bees. The Card boards seem to hold more ingredient and I think releases the ingredients over a longer period of time. The cardboards tend to absorb moisture from the air. 

I also noticed brood dies when the card/gib makes close contact.  The gib tape is wider so more dead brood. Whether it's the acid or just lack of access? 

Someone could dig out the Randy Oliver article because I based my whole work on it.
Imagine if we got to this place off the back of a misunderstanding, that's funny.

Ive seen the dead Brood here and there and never worried about it, being more of the opinion that as a beggar I cant also be a chooser.

There are some secrets as to why Gib tape works and they make up most of my Patent claims, all is not what it appears to be.
Just as  the Winston's articles quotes me as saying, ":there is something special about this Gib Tape"

That realization was made by me 20 years ago, almost as if this current use was meant to be.

19 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

i was speaking at a hobbyist group today, a young fellow came up an says he has been placing rhubarb leaves across the tops of his frames, the bees chew it to remove it and so far he has low levels of varroa.  I told him to keep monitoring and keep a diary and keep an eye on the health of his hives. But I thought what a out of the box thinking from the lad.

Now for you scientific minded, I want to encourage this young fellow, so how can he set up a small experiment to test his rhubarb system. I hate rhubarb but this might change my mind.

I heard of this also when I was doing my AFB recognition course. During a break the topic of using oxalic came up and someone mentioned using rhubarb leaves in her hives. 

43 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You forgot Insurance, the biggest bill. Many little pots. 

Where will your popie shopie operate?  Do/did you have to get some kind of transit type approval? 

Well the pop up shop is gonna sit in the yard here at the end of the gully for a while as we learn how to become shop keepers. After that ..... crane it onto a truck and  the world is our oyster. Did'nt Speights send a colonial bar to London a while back ? I  always thought of doing a tour of Europe ..... pause at festivals and markets ,open the swing doors and immerse people in a little bit of Aotearoa ..... aroma of the black beech after rain, the song of bell bird and hum of bee with a hologram of of the Southern Alp foothills on the back wall ......  the imagination runs wild

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

hum of bee

More likely hum of wasp in that beech

3 hours ago, yesbut said:

I'm not sure resistance is an issue with the acids. Certainly hasn't been overseas with oxalic anyway. 

Yes there is an issue of resistance and the dose required to kill varroa is very close to the dose that kills bees, so there is less tolerance. The amount of OA in a rhubarb leaf varies on what month it is picked and ranges from .2mg / 100gm to 1.3mg / 100 gm. If you want to use oxalic acid as an insecticide, it would seem sensible to use the right dose at the right time of the brood cycle.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/oxalic-dribble-tips/

There is a difference between flooding a hive with oxalic fog or syrup, and the long term release effect of towels or staples.  And somewhere on the forum is a link (which I cannot find at the moment) to evidence from overseas that oxalic is just as effective now as it was years ago. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

How is the oxalic released from the leaf and how are mites affected by it?

Unsure how, I was just not wanting to dampen the lads enthusiasm, and was just punching numbers in to see if there was enough oxalic in leaves to do the trick, which I believe there maybe enough for some level of treatment. The how is for the scientific minded to work out.

• Like 1

My unscientific mind agrees with your not wanting to dampen......

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Someone could dig out the Randy Oliver article because I based my whole work on it.
Imagine if we got to this place off the back of a misunderstanding, that's funny.

Ive seen the dead Brood here and there and never worried about it, being more of the opinion that as a beggar I cant also be a chooser.

There are some secrets as to why Gib tape works and they make up most of my Patent claims, all is not what it appears to be.
Just as  the Winston's articles quotes me as saying, ":there is something special about this Gib Tape"

That realization was made by me 20 years ago, almost as if this current use was meant to be.

Here you go, I also remember thinking at the time of reading it that it was no different to Bayverol...

Problem #1—the labor involved: When I excitedly showed the results to my son Eric, he rained on my parade with some simple arithmetic: 4 strips per box, 8 strips per hive, 1500 hives to treat = 12,000 strips to make, insert one at a time, then pry out one at a time for disposal (wearing nitrile gloves at every step). This treatment wasn’t going to fly, not at our labor costs.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/beyond-taktic/

Also Philbee since you and Randy are pretty tight now how about get him to post some more research, been nothing on his website for ages....

That's why I like the cloths.  It's real quick to chuck em in and move on.The proof is in the pudding and this spring the pudding is yummy.

Just now, jamesc said:

The proof is in the pudding and this spring the pudding is yummy.

And unsaleable

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

And unsaleable

moveable feast ....?

8 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Here you go, I also remember thinking at the time of reading it that it was no different to Bayverol...

Problem #1—the labor involved: When I excitedly showed the results to my son Eric, he rained on my parade with some simple arithmetic: 4 strips per box, 8 strips per hive, 1500 hives to treat = 12,000 strips to make, insert one at a time, then pry out one at a time for disposal (wearing nitrile gloves at every step). This treatment wasn’t going to fly, not at our labor costs.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/beyond-taktic/

Also Philbee since you and Randy are pretty tight now how about get him to post some more research, been nothing on his website for ages....

Well done and Im very embarrassed
If I had read that properly at the time I  probably wouldn't have  looked further.

Staggering.
Randy and I have exchanged a couple or 3 emails so we arnt that tight but he did tell me that he was going to put so significant effort into OA/GL this year
Id say he is staying below the Radar

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

Don't see why

7 minutes ago, Philbee said:

If I had read that properly at the time I  probably wouldn't have  looked further.

Staggering.

I'm glad that you didn't read too closely :)

seems to be working out well for all.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Secret squirrel stuff.  You gonna patent your idea??  Just gib tape. 

9 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Don't see why

Because I misread plain language and proceeded to  act on a misunderstanding, 

1 minute ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Secret squirrel stuff.  You gonna patent your idea??  Just gib tape. 

Patents started a while back and continue but if someone was to just use a single sheet of gib tape it wouldn't work very well.
Even if the patents are successful I dont intend on trying to stop people from making them, even commertials.
I have other plans for the Patents that will serve the industry well.

6 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Because I misread plain language and proceeded to  act on a misunderstanding, 

You could claim to have  known better all along, nothing embarrassing about that..

Just now, yesbut said:

You could claim to have  known better all along, nothing embarrassing about that..

But that would be untrue

10 minutes ago, Philbee said:

But that would be untrue

If the varroa eventually develops full blown resistance to the currently used synthetics labour costs in using something that actually works will be irrelevant if one wants to continue bee keeping .

• Agree 1

On 18/08/2018 at 9:06 PM, Oma said:

I’ve used: vapourising for a season, never got on top of the pms,  then towels for part of a season this gave very variable results some hives better than others, but always mites on the sticky boards.  Now gib tape Oa/GL staples.  The results with staples wins hands down, many hives with no mites on the boards at all. 

I'm going to give it a try this year once the honey flow ends

• Like 1