M4tt

August 2018 Apiary Diary

49 minutes ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

Wow, wax has skyrocketed!

To buy?

what is the per kg price right now?

I had a really odd beekeeping moment today.

I was in a hive and just about to close it up when the Q clambered over the top of a frame and I made a grab for her so I could mark her.  I partly got hold of her, was lifting her up, but dropped her.  I thought she'd fallen back into the hive, but I wasn't certain, so I closed the hive up and then inspected any bees crawling around outside to see if she was out.  I saw nothing.

I moved to the next hive about 1m along from the previous one, and decided to have another quick look, and there she was - crawling up a blade of grass in front of the second hive.  Righto, I'd better put her back in the first hive, popped the top and dropped her in.

I went back to the second hive and starting looking at frames - no brood - well, just one single drone cell, and no eggs or larvae.  No laying workers.  And then I thought hang on, I've just picked up an unmarked Queen from more or less in front of this hive.....I wonder if she was from this hive?

So I go back into the first hive and almost immediately she comes over the top with a few aggro bees latched onto her.  I grab her, and drop her back in the second hive, and within seconds they are fanning hard out, they've got their girl back.

And so was there a Q still in the first hive?  Most probably yes, but I'm staying out of it......

I mentioned this episode to my wife and she said "what are the chances" and "I wish you'd bought a Lotto ticket instead".   Oh well, back to work tomorrow ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

@CraBee how do you think the queen got on the grass or into the wrong hive .

I have had instances when I am sure a mated queen has swapped hives .

but all the literature says it is impossible .

36 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@CraBee how do you think the queen got on the grass or into the wrong hive .

I have had instances when I am sure a mated queen has swapped hives .

but all the literature says it is impossible .

The Queen from the second hive was either returning from a mating flight or just about to head off on one, and  I mistook her as being from the first hive.  She did look mated but she'd not started laying.

In my own experience with Queens I think it would be very unlikely they could wander into another / the wrong hive and live to tell the tale.  Perhaps only a Queenless hive would accept her.

• Thanks 1

Today I nipped out to look at my highest sites set back against the big native

These were the sites that I was most concerned about because there is very little 5 finger up there
I needn't have been concerned because they are fine, even one site in complete shade.
The odd hive is boiling with bees but most are on the increase and most have good weight.

My winter loses from more than 100 looked at were  5 hives. 
Most sites had 100% wintering survival
Two sites had 2 dead and one dead in another.
Tracks very muddy. 

• Like 3

Deleted post

Edited by dansar

28 minutes ago, CraBee said:

The Queen from the second hive was either returning from a mating flight or just about to head off on one, and  I mistook her as being from the first hive.  She did look mated but she'd not started laying.

In my own experience with Queens I think it would be very unlikely they could wander into another / the wrong hive and live to tell the tale.  Perhaps only a Queenless hive would accept her.

It is supposed to be obvious when they haven't mated .

But I have been fooled by big unmated drone laying queens .

Do you think a queenless hive could accept a wandering queen .

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

My vogels does not go mouldy now 

i sort of assumed you baked your own bread using a sour-dough starter with a lineage able to be traced back over decades... from flour you milled from some obscure grain you grow (golden bay stereotypes etc :) )

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

i sort of assumed you baked your own bread using a sour-dough starter with a lineage able to be traced back over decades... from flour you milled from some obscure grain you grow (golden bay stereotypes etc :) )

God no .

I was the hippie that wanted an automatic washing in the 70s .

I was pretty much excommunicated by my group as a technology sympathiser.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

13 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

To buy?

what is the per kg price right now?

Ahh a box of FDMB is by my reckoning 500.00 ish a box inc gst. Thats only 255 sheets, so $2 a sheet.

34 minutes ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

Ahh a box of FDMB is by my reckoning 500.00 ish a box inc gst. Thats only 255 sheets, so $2 a sheet.

I sell my wax for $20 to $25.00 per KG.  Depends on grade.

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Is grade related to colour .

Mine has been strained through Muslim and is white / yellow .

So top grade ?

Edited by kaihoka
Spelling

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Is grade related to colour .

Mine has been strained through Muslim and is white / yellow .

So top grade ?

Yes. white, orange or yellow is top.  Brown not so much

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Philbee said:

Today I nipped out to look at my highest sites set back against the big native

These were the sites that I was most concerned about because there is very little 5 finger up there
I needn't have been concerned because they are fine, even one site in complete shade.
The odd hive is boiling with bees but most are on the increase and most have good weight.

My winter loses from more than 100 looked at were  5 hives. 
Most sites had 100% wintering survival
Two sites had 2 dead and one dead in another.
Tracks very muddy. 

Weighed the home hive yesterday  ..... last weighed on 11.5.18 at 64.5kg .  Yesterday it 56kg.

Went through 160 hives today checking weights and replacing O/A cloths   ...... 7 were dead, most of them were wintered down dead. I think we only fed about thirty.

What an about face from last year !

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Weighed the home hive yesterday  ..... last weighed on 11.5.18 at 64.5kg .  Yesterday it 56kg.

Went through 160 hives today checking weights and replacing O/A cloths   ...... 7 were dead, most of them were wintered down dead. I think we only fed about thirty.

Just keep one eye on the stores there big falla hate to have that work undone.

Them biggys can get hungry fast.

Edited by glynn
Can't say something a dog said for Toyota

@CraBee regarding your queen experience. I have heard that a queen may take more than one mating flight, up to three if I recall correctly. By some weird bee alchemy she assess the quality and quantity of what she has collected thus far and think 22 drone fathers was quoted as the upper limit. Sorry can't quote source but some sciency type who did a study or three. So maybe she was about to take a second flight or returning (though you probably would have noticed something a little odd if that was the case). Lotto ticket might be a good idea.

55 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Great stuff
I actually put you all crook with my winter loses

I said 5 out of 100 or more dead
Fact is that 3 or 4 of the 5 were autumn deaths from dud queens probably.

When you have just one dead at a site, Varroa is an unlikely cause.

7 minutes ago, Jean MacDonald said:

@CraBee regarding your queen experience. I have heard that a queen may take more than one mating flight, up to three if I recall correctly. By some weird bee alchemy she assess the quality and quantity of what she has collected thus far and think 22 drone fathers was quoted as the upper limit. Sorry can't quote source but some sciency type who did a study or three. So maybe she was about to take a second flight or returning (though you probably would have noticed something a little odd if that was the case). Lotto ticket might be a good idea.

Yes I understand there is more than one mating flight too.  I’d always thought it was about 14 drones but can’t recall how. She did not show any mating sign but was either coming or going.  One for the beekeeping bucket list.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

How are you weighting them, as that seems like a weight for a total hive? The lift one end method is the one I use, but I have no idea how it relates to the total hive weight.

They are weighed on a set of load bars , so yes , total hive weight.  And yes, this is a very quick round to take stock .... heavy bees this week may well become very light in the next two weeks as brood starts to hatch.

• Agree 1

I had a queen that stopped laying for 3 months over winter and used very little stores.

I can see it is a big advantage .

I am thinking it is a trait to consider when selecting a queen to breed from  If you are not into multiplying your hives over winter .

She did well over the summer .

• Like 4

On 9/08/2018 at 7:59 AM, kaihoka said:

I had a queen that stopped laying for 3 months over winter and used very little stores.

I can see it is a big advantage .

I am thinking it is a trait to consider when selecting a queen to breed from  If you are not into multiplying your hives over winter .

She did well over the summer .

Very good trait I would think for a hobbiest keeper. Good winter habits, winter OA in brood breaks, hopefully reduced hive creep. Sounds like a win win win. 

• Like 1

went through my favourite four hive wellington apiary this morning, bees had been flying since about 7am and 6 degrees.. A bit of variety in terms of how much brood there is, all have plenty enough stores, are bringing in nectar and pollen, and have at least a couple of frames of capped worker brood. The strongest looked like a mid-spring hive and even had emerging drones.. One hive had a bit more drone brood than i was happy to see. i'll give it a few weeks and see if the queen either sorts things out or they start to supersede her, otherwise i'll intervene.

Moving three of them up-country in a few weeks to complement my taranaki empire. This time i'll seal them up. Don't think i'll ever repeat transporting open hives several hundred kilometres in a liftback = all ended well, but it could have got fairly interesting => lesson well learned.

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 3

On 8/08/2018 at 8:48 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

your giving it away trev,

5 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

your giving it away trev,

What price do you get for your wax.