M4tt

August 2018 Apiary Diary

11 hours ago, jamesc said:

Market price  plus abit..... cash.  I tried to sell some drums yesterday and the buyer offered to help me out at his price ..... so I made above average to the Prepper. I think we producers need to go on strike and hold out to the packers that are trying to pick us off one by one. Mind you, I was talking to an Aussie the other day who got $ 4.00/kg for last  seasons crop and was more than happy.

How much have you been offered for your rata and have you got a pollen anlysis done?

15 hours ago, Gabor said:

Sure. I'll check the feeder tomorrow anyway I'd like to see they're taking it or not. (I could not question your knowledge so I made a 1.5:1 mix to stay in the middle between doubts and authority)

;)

Just add a bit of water, stir and it’s 1:1

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2018 at 10:47 AM, Gabor said:

That is going to be the next step. I made the staples already and have all chemicals at hand but that is a slower, longer lasting method. I needed a quick knockdown unfortunately, the autumn bayvarol treatment apparently left a varroa there. The amount of dead mite is terrifying. 

OA in Staples "is" a fast knock down, and also any small spring hives with high  Mite/Virus loads will take a hit similar but not as bad as when using MAQS.
Personally this has taken me a little by surprise as my hives have  not generally shown this "hit"but it does appear to be real for some Beeks.
Just like my hives have not shed lots of Bees when treated with Formic (MAQS).
Im starting to see that this transition to OA and other Organic acids is going to be a process for some Beeks.

23 hours ago, Bighands said:

How much have you been offered for your rata and have you got a pollen anlysis done?

Nobody has actually put their hand up and said "yes we are interested, this is our price". The odd thing is we did a pollen count and it came out 30% clover ..... where dat come from 

46 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Nobody has actually put their hand up and said "yes we are interested, this is our price". The odd thing is we did a pollen count and it came out 30% clover ..... where dat come from 

That sounds like a nice honey .

Has it naturally creamed to a fine grain .

It sounds like an ideal honey for Adam boots puriti honey crystals.

It's such a shame there is such a fixation on Manuka in the industry .

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It's such a shame there is such a fixation on Manuka in the industry .

It beats a fixation on rata hands down

Just now, yesbut said:

It beats a fixation on rata hands down

?