CraBee

Honey prices fall as beekeepers struggle with low returns

19 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

They will put the odd runner down deep but most of the crop will be at the crown of the parent plant. 

That's always the best when they form just under the crown.

I think if they form  And size early in the season that happens .

In one of the places I grew them that happened .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

So do we. If it’s a bad honey year all round the levy would bottom out too if the charge is on extracted honey. 

IMO the levy is based on the speculated volumes of Honey over a set time going forward.
The last thing MPI want is to need to come back in two years time and put the levy up off the back of lower volumes.
The real risk might be that out of the blue the Honey volumes increase in which case we could see new buildings, cars, salaries and overseas trips etc.

Instead of Doc being the graduate stepping stone it could end up being whoever runs this show.

So,if I take my honey boxes to an extractor and they offer to buy it,do I still pay the levy or do they?

I know I have to pay for the extraction.

8 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

So,if I take my honey boxes to an extractor and they offer to buy it,do I still pay the levy or do they?

From what I’ve read You’ll have to pay the levy

14 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

It is always the primary producer who pays.

Do you think that the extractor place or the seller is going to cut into their profits.?

• Agree 1

As long as there is no double dipping by the powers to bee...I'm not fully aware of what's involved in getting honey extracted,paperwork etc but I'd hate for me to be charged a levy and then the extractor being charged as well as my honey becomes part of their total honey extracted for the season..in the above case.

Thought Jacinda promised no new tax LOL

Edited by Alastair
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

As long as there is no double dipping by the powers to bee...I'm not fully aware of what's involved in getting honey extracted,paperwork etc but I'd hate for me to be charged a levy and then the extractor being charged as well as my honey becomes part of their total honey extracted for the season..in the above case.

Nah,  That will not happen.  But as I said the primary producer will pay for everything.  If not directly , then by lower prices they will get for their honey.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Maybe we could get her to set up another review panel.

• Haha 2

I just hope the levy will be used for something that’s helpful to all of us.

Manuka producers have had their time in the sun and continue to reap the reward of past research but unless something is done about non Manuka honeys there will be a whole lot less hives around for them to collect levies off. 

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

That’s why they call it a levy ??

• Haha 1

If we’re expected to take a loss in profit by paying the levy why aren’t the packers, retailers, equipment sellers and everyone else who will benefit from the supposed increase in marketing, research and general well-being of the industry ?? Perhaps a smaller levy but applied to more areas of the industry would be fairer. If we all gain we should all be sharing the bill. 

• Agree 1

I am unclear as to whether hobbyist will pay a levy on honey.

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I am unclear as to whether hobbyist will pay a levy on honey.

You will, if you get your honey extracted in an extraction plant.

You will not if you extract your honey at home because you will not declare it..

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

You will not if you extract your honey at home because you will not declare it..

I got this email yesterday:

Hello

You may be aware ApiNZ is currently consulting with the apiculture industry on a proposed commodity levy of $0.10 per kilogram of honey extracted for commercial purposes, to fund industry-good activities. You can find out more information on the proposed levy here: https://apinz.org.nz/levy/

Why are we introducing a levy?

Our industry is growing rapidly and we need to manage and leverage this growth, and importantly, ensure we sustain a healthy bee population. To do this we need to invest more in research relating to bee health; biosecurity; education and best practice beekeeping, sustainable beekeeping and supporting industry generally, including on market access issues.

Introducing a commodity levy is a big step for our industry and the consultation process is important in making sure views are heard and questions answered. For this reason, we will be undertaking a national roadshow over August and September and I invite your organisation to attend the roadshows which are attached over the page.

We would appreciate it if people could rsvp to the event by emailing levy@apinz.org.nz

What a Yes vote will mean for RMP processors

If industry votes ‘yes’ to this levy, all RMP processors who extract honey on behalf of beekeeper(s) will be responsible for collecting the levy from those honey producers (beekeepers), as per the process below.

We would like to know your thoughts on this method of levy collection and would welcome your comments either by contacting us directly at levy@apinz.org.nz, calling our office on 04 471 6254 or attending the roadshow meeting in your area.

Kind regards,

Karin Kos

CEO, Apiculture NZ

COMMODITY LEVY ROAD SHOW DETAILS – Please RSVP attendance to levy@apinz.org.nz

Time and Date

Venue

Whangarei

Tuesday 14th August

11 am

The Distinction Hotel

9 Riverside Dr, Riverside, Whangarei

Hamilton

Wed 15th August

9 am

Hamilton Airport Conference Centre

Airport Road

New Plymouth

Wednesday 22nd August

2:00 pm

New Plymouth International Hotel

Corner  Courtenay & Leach St

Palmerston North

Thursday 23rd August

9 am

The Coachman Hotel

140 Fitzherbert Ave

Gisborne

Monday 27 August

10:30 am

Cosmopolitan Club

190 Derby St

Napier

Tuesday 28 August

4:00 pm

Napier

Havelock North Community Centre

30 Te Mata Road

Nelson

Tuesday 4th September

The Rutherford Hotel

Trafalgar Square

Christchurch

Wednesday 5th September

10 am

Hornby Working Mens Club

17 Carmen Road Hornby

Dunedin

Thursday 6th September

10 am

Scenic City Hotel

123 Princess Street

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2

19 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I should imagine if the levy goes through there will be a jump in sales of  small scale home extracters.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gerrit said:

I got this email yesterday:

Hello

You may be aware ApiNZ is currently consulting with the apiculture industry on a proposed commodity levy of $0.10 per kilogram of honey extracted for commercial purposes, to fund industry-good activities. You can find out more information on the proposed levy here: https://apinz.org.nz/levy/

Why are we introducing a levy?

Our industry is growing rapidly and we need to manage and leverage this growth, and importantly, ensure we sustain a healthy bee population. To do this we need to invest more in research relating to bee health; biosecurity; education and best practice beekeeping, sustainable beekeeping and supporting industry generally, including on market access issues.

Introducing a commodity levy is a big step for our industry and the consultation process is important in making sure views are heard and questions answered. For this reason, we will be undertaking a national roadshow over August and September and I invite your organisation to attend the roadshows which are attached over the page.

We would appreciate it if people could rsvp to the event by emailing levy@apinz.org.nz

What a Yes vote will mean for RMP processors

If industry votes ‘yes’ to this levy, all RMP processors who extract honey on behalf of beekeeper(s) will be responsible for collecting the levy from those honey producers (beekeepers), as per the process below.

We would like to know your thoughts on this method of levy collection and would welcome your comments either by contacting us directly at levy@apinz.org.nz, calling our office on 04 471 6254 or attending the roadshow meeting in your area.

Kind regards,

Karin Kos

CEO, Apiculture NZ

COMMODITY LEVY ROAD SHOW DETAILS – Please RSVP attendance to levy@apinz.org.nz

Time and Date

Venue

Whangarei

Tuesday 14th August

11 am

The Distinction Hotel

9 Riverside Dr, Riverside, Whangarei

Hamilton

Wed 15th August

9 am

Hamilton Airport Conference Centre

Airport Road

New Plymouth

Wednesday 22nd August

2:00 pm

New Plymouth International Hotel

Corner  Courtenay & Leach St

Palmerston North

Thursday 23rd August

9 am

The Coachman Hotel

140 Fitzherbert Ave

Gisborne

Monday 27 August

Cosmopolitan Club

190 Derby St

Napier

Tuesday 28 August

4:00 pm

Napier

Havelock North Community Centre

30 Te Mata Road

Nelson

Tuesday 4th September

The Rutherford Hotel

Trafalgar Square

Christchurch

Wednesday 5th September

10 am

Hornby Working Mens Club

17 Carmen Road Hornby

Dunedin

Thursday 6th September

10 am

Scenic City Hotel

123 Princess Street

Anyone else had this email ?

theres nothing in our inbox

30 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Anyone else had this email ?

theres nothing in our inbox

I suppose it has been sent to RMP holders/processors.

3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

If we’re expected to take a loss in profit by paying the levy why aren’t the packers, retailers, equipment sellers and everyone else who will benefit from the supposed increase in marketing, research and general well-being of the industry ?? Perhaps a smaller levy but applied to more areas of the industry would be fairer. If we all gain we should all be sharing the bill. 

Commercials only have 45% of the vote at ApiNZ, so if the hangers on with 45% buy the 1 hobby vote, they have the majority - done and dusted. Hobby beeks have yet to see any benefit of a specified rep as totally missing in action, hence we get screwed more thoroughly with the new levy.

1 hour ago, Gerrit said:

I suppose it has been sent to RMP holders/processors.

If they are going to the expense of a road show to talk about levies than as a potential levy payer shouldn’t I also have a chance to hear what they have to say and voice my opinion?

I see RMP processors become levy collectors ...... sounds like a can of worms setting beekeeper against beekeeper as we try to extract more money from them after extracting. 

19 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If they are going to the expense of a road show to talk about levies than as a potential levy payer shouldn’t I also have a chance to hear what they have to say and voice my opinion?

You need to look up the ApiNZ site, or just turn up at the Rutherford next Tuesday.

Yeah I will just turn up at the Rutherford .

maybe I’m yet to get an email.

if ApiNZ are supposed to be the organisation that represents beekeepers then all beekeepers whether members or not should be advised of the meetings

20 hours ago, Philbee said:

how much honey is the average 4 hive hobbyist going to get?
Its not worth pursuing
This is a little bit like excise taxes with inspectors running around measuring tanks of beer.
fun and game ahead

400kg......

21 minutes ago, dansar said:

400kg......

Na mate I said  "Average"

Thats not you