Frederick

Honey industry like 'wild west', minister says

Damien O'Connor's comments at a conference of animal and plant health experts on the 26th have left me perplexed. Honey industry like 'wild west', minister says RNZ News.url

Are these comments below rational from anyone who's meant to be a contributor to our industry. I quote from the RNZ article and comment as follows:

1. [..."I think if you've got over-stocking and you've got bees that are hungry and not being fed properly, or not being fed the right stuff ... then that's not good," he said...]
  2. [...Mr O'Connor said the government was prepared to work with the honey industry to bring things into order...]
  3. This was followed by Karin Kos's APINZ input which seemed to suggest a commodity levy on honey would help manage and leverage rapid industry growth

Re: 1. :  In context with the rest of the article this statement (which reeks of lack of basic knowledge) leads me to dismay at the proposed help (levy) he intends to impose on the industry to right these wrongs???

Re 2. and 3. : Seems like we're being softened up for the 10c per/kg levy to right/manage these wrong (how??): With APNZ being the chosen one.

Can anyone help me by answering the following

1. Are APINZ the best organisation to handle this proposed levy and what are they going to do with it?
  2. Or should these questions be dealt with by an organisation set up to represent commercial beekeeping entity's such as New Zealand Beekeeping Incorporated

Look forward to receiving feedback

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Frederick said:

Damien O'Connor's comments at a conference of animal and plant health experts on the 26th have left me perplexed. Honey industry like 'wild west', minister says RNZ News.url

Are these comments below rational from anyone who's meant to be a contributor to our industry. I quote from the RNZ article and comment as follows:

1. [..."I think if you've got over-stocking and you've got bees that are hungry and not being fed properly, or not being fed the right stuff ... then that's not good," he said...]
  2. [...Mr O'Connor said the government was prepared to work with the honey industry to bring things into order...]
  3. This was followed by Karin Kos's APINZ input which seemed to suggest a commodity levy on honey would help manage and leverage rapid industry growth

Re: 1. :  In context with the rest of the article this statement (which reeks of lack of basic knowledge) leads me to dismay at the proposed help (levy) he intends to impose on the industry to right these wrongs???

Re 2. and 3. : Seems like we're being softened up for the 10c per/kg levy to right/manage these wrong (how??): With APNZ being the chosen one.

1. Are APINZ the best organisation to handle this proposed levy and what are they going to do with it?
  2. Or should these questions be dealt with by an organisation set up to represent commercial beekeeping entity's such as New Zealand Beekeeping Incorporated

Absolutely New Zealand Beekeeping Incorporated which is really purely beekeepers, not a group where 45% of the votes goes to marketers, gear suppliers, packers and various other hangers on. Just remember that the huge dumping of a large percentage of the most experienced AP2's coincided with them joining NZ Beekeeping Inc even where they are still members of Apiculture NZ - says a heap about ethics of the board of Apiculture NZ!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Absolutely New Zealand Beekeeping Incorporated which is really purely beekeepers, not a group where 45% of the votes goes to marketers, gear suppliers, packers and various other hangers on. Just remember that the huge dumping of a large percentage of the most experienced AP2's coincided with them joining NZ Beekeeping Inc even where they are still members of Apiculture NZ - says a heap about ethics of the board of Apiculture NZ!

Just a general point here Sailabee and Im not as up on this issue as I should be
I do like NZ Beekeeping Inc but not because they may be purely Beekeepers as you put it
IMO its going to be important going forward that our leading teams contain a balanced mix of backgrounds, thats just general good practice.

• Agree 1

we all know that big business has balls and aim to take control to better their outcome using ample resources. They are typically run by Alpha types- that's why they are in top dog positions. 

Agree with Phill, you do need a good cross section, just worry about everyones agenda.  Their stake, I feel is too high. 

If Mr O'connor reckons we in the wild west and in need of support,  then help us with some funding!!! 

He knows Jack Stront. 

49 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

He knows Jack Stront

Never heard of him, I take it this is not complimentary ?

• Agree 1

I kinda like the idea of the wild west ..... Colt 45 on da hip ..... whisky in da jar and wild women in da bar. Wot more could a renegade want ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Frederick said:

In terms of over stocking I think it definitely is a problem.. there's not enough apiary instructors or people to teach new people what they should properly be doing. .

I'm sure Damien O'Connor would get information from various bee keepers before making final decisions and I'm not sure about what impacts the levy will have to the current procedures 

A saddle gun of course @jamesc!

Anyone figured out how much Api NZ is planning to take from the industry all up including the new AFB fees and honey levy?

Edited by Ali

5 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Hi Freddy, are you a member of NZ beekeeper Inc? 

Gidday Gino

No not a member of either at the moment

Was one of the first to sign up to APINZ from the outset: Thought it would be great have a group representing the industry as a whole however let it  lapse this year as I'm worried about the influence of the commercial sector being watered down i.e do Dairy Farmer, Cropping and Dry Stock Groups/Organisations give representation/voting rights to processors, packers, wholesalers, retail suppliers and lifestylers.

Spoke to Russel Berry awhile back and are considering joining NZ Beekeepers Inc. to hopefully get some rational commercial perspective but are yet to arrive at a decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ReneeJones said:

In terms of over stocking I think it definitely is a problem.. there's not enough apiary instructors or people to teach new people what they should properly be doing. .

I'm sure Damien O'Connor would get information from various bee keepers before making final decisions and I'm not sure about what impacts the levy will have to the current procedures 

Would have top say if I was confident in Damien O'Connor and his advisors ability to rationalise and deal with problems in the industry I wouldn't have posted in the first place.

Overstocking; well that's a perspective and damn hard to deal with!

Hungry Bees not being fed properly, or not being fed the right stuff; well that's just 'gobble de gop' spouted by someone with little appreciation of what they're talking about!

• Agree 3

Another point: As this NZR release reads more like a self justifying public discussion between the Minister and APINZ for our benefit re: Levying the industry at 10c / Kg can I ask the following:

1. What budget / rational is APINZ working on to justify the Levy at any level?
  2. How are they going to protect us from whom and what?
  3. As the main protection to the Manuka Honey Industry seems to be originating from the UMF Association should we be looking towards them for rational input?

Give most organisations a grant and they'll spend it: Ask for a competitive budget for a defined task and I suggest you'll have a more acceptable outcome.

But then again do I want a group representing a broad cross-section of the industry and only a percentage of the small-medium sized commercial operations spending my money and on what?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ali said:

Anyone figured out how much Api NZ is planning to take from the industry all up including the new AFB fees and honey levy?

The proposed charges are on AFB.org website but they plan within next 20 months to collect just under 3million going up to 3.2m pa in 4 years. This is from current funding of 1million. Remember this is every year.

You will need to calculate your own increase, but mine is going from $1500 to $6000 for AFB.

ApiNZ levy is minimum of $0.10 per kg extracted honey but with an automatic right to increase to $0.15 per kg if they wish. Honey production in NZ is between 15000 tonnes and potentially 23000 tonnes.

ApiNZ collection therefore is between $1.5m to potentially $3.4m per year.

Both of these proposals are being pushed on the industry way too fast given the amounts involved. 

The GIA related fees that will be forced on us are extra again from these figures.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Bushy said:

The GIA related fees that will be forced on us are extra again from these figures.

And if you join APINZ, then that yearly fee is near on 1K as well. 

great info @Bushy, thanks.

I would like to see a break down of who the dosh will come from percentage wise in respect beeks with under 100, 500, 2000, 3000, 10000, 30000 etc. just to see who would be doing the funding. Too much for me to figure!

19 hours ago, jamesc said:

I kinda like the idea of the wild west ..... Colt 45 on da hip ..... whisky in da jar and wild women in da bar. Wot more could a renegade want ? 

Suits you James

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Bushy said:

You will need to calculate your own increase, but mine is going from $1500 to $6000 for AFB.

If you use Oxalic Paper Tape Staples just once this season you will easily save the $4500 difference and plus have better Bees out the other side.

• Like 1

Also how much of this increase will end up in admin there was a lot said at the conference that didn't sit well with me.

The talk from our Mp was one of them wild west no more like the Mafia running the show

• Like 1

I agree with Damien it is like the "Wild West" and will be forever as there are so many egos out there we will never be a united industry.People have no ethics or values any more it is the $ that drives them not the industry of the insects that give them the money.

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, glynn said:

Also how much of this increase will end up in admin there was a lot said at the conference that didn't sit well with me.

The talk from our Mp was one of them wild west no more like the Mafia running the show

A good guess, half. 

America is going to subsidise the farming community 12Billion.  Half will be eaten by office staff. 

59 minutes ago, Philbee said:

If you use Oxalic Paper Tape Staples just once this season you will easily save the $4500 difference and plus have better Bees out the other side.

Making time to talk to you about this system is definitely on my to do list and yes savings of this size can be plowed back to industry good projects, but the base question is still, is the money being requested for AFB and commodity levy affordable for the many beekeepers who do not harvest manuka, and is it money well spent or bureaucratic overkill.

I just think an industry request for $3 to $5 million dollars per annum needs more than a few days (AFB levy) and three months (commodity levy)  to have the proper industry good debate 

The guys that are on manuka won’t feel a thing when it comes to the commodity levy.

But those of us on bush honey will feel it for sure.

it unfair to have one sector of an industry paying a levy ( honey producers)  while another sector pays nothing ( queen rearers, sellers of nucs and hives) 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

I agree with Damien it is like the "Wild West" and will be forever as there are so many egos out there we will never be a united industry.People have no ethics or values any more it is the $ that drives them not the industry of the insects that give them the money.

In my opinion 'Wild West' is an inappropriate throw away line from a politician who should be concentrating on learning about the industry not berating it from up on high with seemingly little knowledge / advise to back up his diatribe.

The industry today has the same percentage of good honest committed people, egotists, rogues, thieves that I suggest it always has had; unfortunately though with the overall rise in beekeeper numbers the converse rise in the number of less desirables in the industry follows.

There are a great percentage of ethical people in the industry however as with all things sometimes the lines are blurred even with the best of us; everyone has the ability to be self-righteous and self-justifying of their actions this is not a Manuka phenomenon.

I've heard people scorn the Manuka phenomenon and yes while it has contributed to various problematic aspects of the industry, it has put the industry on the map and given many businesses and family's the chance to make a good living doing what they enjoy.

There's no turning the clock back but we should be looking closely at what the so called power brokers want to impose on us all!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Frederick said:

In my opinion 'Wild West' is an inappropriate throw away line from a politician who should be concentrating on learning about the industry not berating it from up on high with seemingly little knowledge / advise to back up his diatribe.

The industry today has the same percentage of good honest committed people, egotists, rogues, thieves that I suggest it always has had; unfortunately though with the overall rise in beekeeper numbers the converse rise in the number of less desirables in the industry follows.

There are a great percentage of ethical people in the industry however as with all things sometimes the lines are blurred even with the best of us; everyone has the ability to be self-righteous and self-justifying of their actions this is not a Manuka phenomenon.

I've heard people scorn the Manuka phenomenon and yes while it has contributed to various problematic aspects of the industry, it has put the industry on the map and given many businesses and family's the chance to make a good living doing what they enjoy.

There's no turning the clock back but we should be looking closely at what the so called power brokers want to impose on us all!

Damien has known the beekeeping industry was so disgointed for a long time.I have lots of talks with him as to how to get everyone talking to each other.I still do not know how to do this.

I have to say all this negativity has made me wonder what I get for my measly two hive's $35.00 . Direct benefit (?) is two copies of the ApiNZ rag.

The only other benefit (?) is I get my hives taken apart every year by the local AP2.

• Like 1