frazzledfozzle

Trader Joes taken to court

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Is jelly Bush honey as good as Manuka .

Does it have the same properties .

Is it as effective as a skin cream .?

Maybe all leptosperm honeys are similar .

I simply don't care. It is not Manuka in the same way the Cava and Presseco  are not Champaign. Genuine Manuka only comes from NZ and should Harvested, tested, certified and packed in New Zealand to a standard that we determine is Manuka agree on and secured legislatively. Jelly Bush is Jelly Bush simple as that. 

Adam
I have just two questions for you at this time

To what extent would the cessation of bulk Honey exports affect total Honey volumes exported

To what extent would the cessation of bulk Honey exports affect your sales of packaged Honey.

@Philbee, the current figures for total bulk honey exported and the figures for bulk MPI compliant Manuka would be very interesting. It's a shame the available stats are always so behind.

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

I simply don't care. It is not Manuka in the same way the Cava and Presseco  are not Champaign. Genuine Manuka only comes from NZ and should Harvested, tested, certified and packed in New Zealand to a standard that we determine is Manuka agree on and secured legislatively. Jelly Bush is Jelly Bush simple as that. 

But I thought the whole point of the value of Manuka honey was that it's unique properties made it special.

If there are other honeys that do the job just as well Manuka will never be able to hold its price advantage .

So all the money and resources you are putting into Manuka honey will not be worth it .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ali said:

@Philbee, the current figures for total bulk honey exported and the figures for bulk MPI compliant Manuka would be very interesting. It's a shame the available stats are always so behind.

My angle with these two questions is to get an idea of Adams underlying considerations within this industry.
You see I have a suspicion and its just a suspicion that Adam would have no qualms seeing the total bulk export volume drop along with stakeholders incomes, if it meant that his stake (income) increased through sales of his packaged product.
Of course he will answer the questions, he always does

Edited by Philbee

It's the good old chilled/frozen/live whole animal export next to the value added prime cut and packaged argument I think.

Plus of course in terms of Manuka a whole lot of misrepresentation, probably fraudulent (or near), blending, quick big bucks issues debate.

So long as bulk Manuka is exported there will always be problems that drag the product down while making millions for some.

If Adams outfit can get themselves a slice of the market while playing a clean game I say all power to them!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ali said:

So long as bulk Manuka is exported there will always be problems that drag the product down while making millions for some.

Bulk exports in my view are a necessary evil and the "some"you refer to is actually a lot of Beeks.

7 minutes ago, Ali said:

If Adams outfit can get themselves a slice of the market while playing a clean game I say all power to them!

Yes that is correct, I hope they make heaps of money, I want to see all stake holders make good money, who wouldnt?

I would love to see all manuka leaving n.z. as packed retail honey,but  I  know that is never going to happen unless we regulate and that could be done.Why did the MPI standards not include bulk honey ?Un believable the way the government think.

You cannot stop bulk honey leaving NZ as the cruds simply label it something else. Container loads can leave totally undetected and there are no controls as to what it was sold as. 

45 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I would love to see all manuka leaving n.z. as packed retail honey,but  I  know that is never going to happen unless we regulate and that could be done.Why did the MPI standards not include bulk honey ?Un believable the way the government think.

The influence of big players the most likely reason. The effects as Phil perhaps suggests would also be huge. 

Change would need to be incremental rather than rapid. Something I wish MPI had/does take to heart!

15 hours ago, Philbee said:

Adam
I have just two questions for you at this time

To what extent would the cessation of bulk Honey exports affect total Honey volumes exported

To what extent would the cessation of bulk Honey exports affect your sales of packaged Honey.

I can only give you my personal opinion on this. I believe that a market correction would take place with the lowest value lowest quality brands suffering hardest. Demand for genuine New Zealand Manuka would increase and value strengthened as trust in the product authenticity was enhanced. Global credibility would be restored and rewarded. The demand would still require supply fulfilment and NZ based brands and packers would adjust to fill the supply gap. All quality brands and packers in this space would benefit from the growth and the added value would return to NZ. Some will out perform others dependent upon their speed of response, flexibility to adapt and strength of their marketing. 

With proper control of the supply chain, monitoring and traceability I believe that a market can remain for bulk Manuka exports. However the end use should never be honey in a jar and the MPI Definition should still apply to all Manuka. Export use should be limited to ingredient supply only, food component or manufacturing ingredient, cosmetic or medical ingredient etc. 

53 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

You cannot stop bulk honey leaving NZ as the cruds simply label it something else. Container loads can leave totally undetected and there are no controls as to what it was sold as. 

Where there is will there is away. Controlled export and import of alcohol has existed for generations. 

49 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

I can only give you my personal opinion on this. I believe that a market correction would take place with the lowest value lowest quality brands suffering hardest. Demand for genuine New Zealand Manuka would increase and value strengthened as trust in the product authenticity was enhanced. Global credibility would be restored and rewarded. The demand would still require supply fulfilment and NZ based brands and packers would adjust to fill the supply gap. All quality brands and packers in this space would benefit from the growth and the added value would return to NZ. Some will out perform others dependent upon their speed of response, flexibility to adapt and strength of their marketing. 

With proper control of the supply chain, monitoring and traceability I believe that a market can remain for bulk Manuka exports. However the end use should never be honey in a jar and the MPI Definition should still apply to all Manuka. Export use should be limited to ingredient supply only, food component or manufacturing ingredient, cosmetic or medical ingredient etc. 

When my headache ha subsided Ill reply to this Masterpiece

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

When my headache ha subsided Ill reply to this Masterpiece

That's from the gib paper dust the needle kicks up

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

That's from the gib paper dust the needle kicks up

Thats what my health professional sister said also