frazzledfozzle

Trader Joes taken to court

31 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

In NZ, the country of origin has to be stated on most food products, and many say 'made from local and imported products' to blurr the reality.

I think it's only voluntary

5 hours ago, Sailabee said:

I had a cousin in Dallas (and a sodding Trump supporter), Texas say she bought a jar of NZ manuka honey half pound - about 250gms which she paid $3.99 for - didn't have the heart to tell her I couldn't buy it here for anything like that.

In NZ, the country of origin has to be stated on most food products, and many say 'made from local and imported products' to blurr the reality.

Did you have the heart to tell her the chances of it being NZ Manuka honey were ziltch?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

How is it a lie? 

If the honey fits MPIs standard then it is Manuka honey

nope. It means that a fos standard states that it's manuka honey.

does anyone believe that's 100% true? do you?

if not, then claiming it's 100% manuka can't be done based on the MPI standard.

It doesn’t matter what anyone believes, if it fits the MPI standard for monofloral manuka then it’s 100% manuka honey. 

Rather than thinking about it as 100% Manuka nectar, which the label isn’t claiming think about it as being 100% manuka honey. I think there’s a subtle difference 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 26/07/2018 at 1:00 PM, CraBee said:

This is a copy of a jar.

t1795700975_81p9UJpqnL._SY679_.jpg.0dfe041b330b6cc317201e6fec1e748a.jpg

It states: "100% New Zealand Manuka Honey.  It may meet MPI's standard but not meet USA laws/rules as that claim may not be correct. 

There could be non-manuka honey in there too.

Looking at this particular label I think the claim is about it being 100% NEW ZEALAND manuka honey with NZ being the emphasis 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Ali said:

Did you have the heart to tell her the chances of it being NZ Manuka honey were ziltch?

No, no point. These people, nice though they are thought Trump was a viable human being, so some things are best left unsaid.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, tommy dave said:

nope. It means that a fos standard states that it's manuka honey.

does anyone believe that's 100% true? do you?

if not, then claiming it's 100% manuka can't be done based on the MPI standard.

Really, for NZ Manuka honey all that could be claimed that is that the content has passed the NZ MPI testing procedure for either Mono floral or Multi and that the contents are not blended (or are!) with any other honey or substance.

100% Manuka nectar is the impossible dream.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Looking at this particular label I think the claim is about it being 100% NEW ZEALAND manuka honey with NZ being the emphasis 

That is what I said quite a few posts back.  I agree @frazzledfozzle

Just now, frazzledfozzle said:

Oh sorry @Trevor Gillbanks I should have reread the posts before posting :) 

Nah, All Ok.  We are just the only ones out of step.  Everyone is worried about 100% Manuka, but we agree 100% New Zealand 

5 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Oh sorry @Trevor Gillbanks I should have reread the posts before posting :) 

Who does that .:6_smile:

I am often caught out .

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Who does that .:6_smile:

I am often caught out .

The trouble is you spend to much time bagging Don Trump.

If only our economy was running at 4.1%.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Actually I agree with some of the things he is saying .

Like withdrawing all the American forces of of Europe and the Korean peninsula .

And I have no problems with Russia .

• Like 1

When Trump won I thought we were on the brink of an apocalypse.

But gotta say, I actually like some of the thinks he has done, such as progress on North Korea, and doubt anyone else could have pulled it off. 

Kim Jong Un is clearly a psychopath, but Trump being a bit that way knows how to call the guy. Likewise other problem world leaders Trump can deal with them like no other. He is not constrained by feeling like he always has to tell the truth, a bad thing yes, but also gets the job done sometimes. 

His popularity in the US has slowly gone up and around a month ago went up over the 50% mark for the first time ever.

All the same I hope the system can survive and still be undamaged when someone normal takes back over.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Actually I agree with some of the things he is saying .

Like withdrawing all the American forces of of Europe and the Korean peninsula .

And I have no problems with Russia .

As far as troops go in South Korea and Europe are concerned, Trump doesnt want them out, he actually wants them to stay there and the host countries to pay more for the  security guarantees.
To achieve this he has to play hardball
As far as Russia is concerned well, the nicest possible terms to use in the US context would be "Very Serious  Adversary"

Trump for various reasons wants to change that position but history is much bigger than he his unfortunately 

Edited by Philbee

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

As far as troops go in South Korea and Europe are concerned, Trump doesnt want them out, he actually wants them to stay there and the host countries to pay more for the  security guarantees.
To achieve this he has to play hardball
As far as Russia is concerned well, the nicest possible terms to use in the US context would be "Very Serious  Adversary"

Imagine how much money it would free up for the American administration if they pulled all their troops home.

They would have enough money to subsidise all the industries hurt by the trade war. 

Not just the farmers .

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Imagine how much money it would free up for the American administration if they pulled all their troops home.

They would have enough money to subsidise all the industries hurt by the trade war. 

Not just the farmers .

Imagine how much money you would save if you stopped putting fuel in your car, stopped paying for your power and insurance etc.

You would be really well off for a about a week to a month.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Everyone is just spending their tax cuts, let's see where they are in even 6 months when the money is spent, the impact of his crazy trade war kicks in, and a few other chickens come home to roost.  We could have a unsustainable burst of 4.1% growth to, if we sacrificed universal heath care, a decent education system, and chose to deny climate change and environmental concerns. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Imagine how much money you would save if you stopped putting fuel in your car, stopped paying for your power and insurance etc.

You would be really well off for a about a week to a month.

I have friends who make their own power , their own diesel, and do not have insurance .

They are always broke .:6_smile:

• Haha 2

On 26/07/2018 at 2:57 PM, Ali said:

If that is the case and I expect it is in fact then there lies one of the biggest flaws in our industry I think.

Where packed and by whom, source of the content honey (by country) in it's entirety would go a long way towards integrity, transparency. Honesty not behind closed doors chicanery.

Any thoughts @Adam Boot? Will your new launch brand cover these points off? 

PURITI covers off these issues completely in my view. Each label states - Harvested, tested, certified and packed in New Zealand. This is front centre of the label. The label also details the 5 attributes of the MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition and the increased pass mark that PURITI is produced to. We also state on the label Single Origin New Zealand. This may seem like a belt and braces approach but we want complete honesty and transparency. Confusion only suits those with lesser products. We also state both the UMF and The MGO grade. Additionally we work to the higher end of the UMF/MGO scale. i.e. our UMF 5+ is not 83MGO it is 100MGO.

I do not know where the Trader Joe's product was packed. I also do not know if it was packed before or after the 5th of Feb 2018. Both factors could effect the situation. If the product was packed overseas then labelling laws and practices can vary dramatically and legal requirements vary. If you pack overseas then the Manuka Honey Science Definition does not apply. This again highlights the problem of shipping bulk Manuka offshore. Control is lost and standards become variable. The problem is that when goods fail, are not true to label and hit the press, no one looks at where it is packed. They just see the word Manuka and associate it with New Zealand - This is our industry problem and it is up to us to address it. 

While the MPI Manuka Definition is not universally applied to all Manuka produced in NZ and while we continue to ship bulk to foreign packers these problems will continue. If we want to protect and enhance this industry, build value and growth globally, then we need to lift, maintain and enforce standards. Consumer trust is essential to the longevity of this market. The way we as an industry and as New Zealand champion Manuka and improved standards will be key. Manuka is ours so we should take responsibility for it - Globally. 

Unfortunately I suspect there may be some unwillingness to do this. I anticipate that there will be some significant resistance in the feedback to the latest MPI consultation document. Please remember that the current definition was watered down at the 11th hour in the face of a legal challenge. There are vested interests that seek to maintain status quo for as long as possible.

Our position is unfaltering. We will not be dragged into a mire of mediocrity and colluded confusion. If we end up standing alone then so be it. At some point a brand and a company has to make a stand on these issues. 

• Like 1

@Adam Boot what of Australian Jellybush it has and will continue to have a big impact on the type of honey labelled as Manuka.

if what you say is true and people only look at the word Manuka and not where it’s packed or produced then Australian jellybush will be undermining all the work done in NZ

Edited by frazzledfozzle

17 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Adam Boot what of Australian Jellybush it has and will continue to have a big impact on the type of honey labelled as Manuka.

if what you say is true and people only look at the word Manuka and not where it’s packed or produced then Australian jellybush will be undermining all the work done in NZ

Absolutely. That is why we must lead the way in standards and education of standards in the industry. We have to create and market the distinction of Genuine Manuka and where it comes from and can only come from to be genuine. It is up to us and no one else. 

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

Absolutely. That is why we must lead the way in standards and education of standards in the industry. We have to create and market the distinction of Genuine Manuka and where it comes from and can only come from to be genuine. It is up to us and no one else. 

Is jelly Bush honey as good as Manuka .

Does it have the same properties .

Is it as effective as a skin cream .?

Maybe all leptosperm honeys are similar .

I don't think there should be bulk exports of any NZ honey, unless it is to fully NZ owned packers & distributers. 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I don't think there should be bulk exports of any NZ honey, unless it is to fully NZ owned packers & distributers. 

It still won't work if they don't comply with NZ standards. Packing offshore is the prime 'out' for packers. 

Interesting to see supposedly reputable biggies forming more alliances offshore isn't it?

• Agree 1