Adam Boot

Protecting Manuka - MPI Consultation For Domestic Market

24 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I’m genuinely interested in 

who/ what is the target market for high priced Manuka ?

I heard a story a few weeks ago about a couple of Markets for the very high priced stuff, more than $1500/kg
There are people out there that buy it.
They buy the story, an expensive package and the Honey 
Its real, but small

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I heard a story a few weeks ago about a couple of Markets for the very high priced stuff, more than $1500/kg
Its real, but small

I equality in a nutshell.

We would all be better off if 1000 people paid $15 , rather than 10 people paid $1500.

Spread the love .

13 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Well if neither of them actually work if you swallow them,  why pay a lot of money for something that doesn't work when you can get the much cheaper version that doesn't work .

You seem to be a long, long way behind a multitude of medical and functional food trials being conducted around the world. The process is long and extremely costly and I do not expect that you will see full certified and licensed product on the shelves for a few years. They will come though I can assure you. 

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I equality in a nutshell.

We would all be better off if 1000 people paid $15 , rather than 10 people paid $1500.

Spread the love .

The answer is at a number of points in the middle. Neither $15 or $1500 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Philbee said:

Its real, but small

Small on a global scale but much bigger than you think. 1000's of jars each year get sold at prices from $450 - $1500 each

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam Boot said:

You seem to be a long, long way behind a multitude of medical and functional food trials being conducted around the world. The process is long and extremely costly and I do not expect that you will see full certified and licensed product on the shelves for a few years. They will come though I can assure you. 

Do you think other strong dark honeys like thyme honey, the eucryphia family (olmo honey and lemon wood ) which have been traditionally  used medically have simliar properties as Manuka .

Do you think they are worth research and development too .

11 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Small on a global scale but much bigger than you think. 1000's of jars each year get sold at prices from $450 - $1500 each

The Beek told me that the Overall package was very important

Flash Honey in a pretty little conventional Jar will not attract a premium price.
The quality must be entire and the item a treasure.

These attributes separate the Honey in the drum Beek from the Salesman

Edited by Philbee
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think other strong dark honeys like thyme honey, the eucryphia family (olmo honey and lemon wood ) which have been traditionally  used medically have simliar properties as Manuka .

Do you think they are worth research and development too .

I think that we are just on the tip of an iceberg and that many honeys have valuable properties. There are a number that should be targeted for additional research. There is more value in each having their own unique medical, properties than them all being the same. Every time I talk to a scientist working in this field I come away amazed at the complexity of honey and the areas of study. In some ways Manuka is a first cab of the rank and is paving the way for others to follow. 

People will only invest in research if there is the opportunity for added value in the future.  How we protect our current successes will have a bearing on this investment pipeline. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Philbee said:

The Beek told me that the Overall package was very important

Flash Honey in a pretty little conventional Jar will not attract a premium price.
The quality must be entire and the item a treasure.

These attributes separate the Honey in the drum Beek from the Salesman

Your friend is wise. There is much more to a brand than having the same cheap plastic jar with just another label on it. Unfortunately that is what 95% of retail offering is at the moment. 

Yep, it's the jar. Steens has been doing round jars for a while now. Looks different on the shelf. Outsells the other (dubious) premium brands at aotearoa souvenirs at the bottom of queen Street. 

On 20/08/2018 at 7:18 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

Oh man, just been told milk is just milk-  I always thought that premium brand was soo much better than that nasty cheapo stuff. 

Hey Gino -

Tauranga beekeeper for you, the best milk is straight from the vat, just like honey straight from the hive.

But then again why not take non Manuka tested honey, blend it up to mono and sell it as great nz manuka - how many customers realise that much of the manuka honey they purchase is initially deemed non manuka, hmmm premium branded product all right or just fraud.

12 hours ago, Karl B said:

Hey Gino -

Tauranga beekeeper for you, the best milk is straight from the vat, just like honey straight from the hive.

But then again why not take non Manuka tested honey, blend it up to mono and sell it as great nz manuka - how many customers realise that much of the manuka honey they purchase is initially deemed non manuka, hmmm premium branded product all right or just fraud.

I cannot disagree with you that Honey from the hive is spectacular. 99.9999% of people cannot experience honey in that way. To produce and sell food you must comply to laws, rules and regulation. The MPI Manuka Honey Science definition is designed to protect and provide a minimum standard surety to the consumer. Above the pass mark you have legal recognised Manuka. If you want the standard to be higher then lobby the MPI to increase the pass marks or add further criteria. 

22 hours ago, Karl B said:

Hey Gino -

This staunch Karl from Whangarei ?  Ex bank man?