Adam Boot

Protecting Manuka - MPI Consultation For Domestic Market

27 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Some beek opperations must think there will still be money in Manuka .

They paid $2.4 million for over 600 hectare block of some grass but mostly scrub and Manuka .

Down the road out the back of  , mangarakau .

Hope it tests as a Manuka or it could be an expensive lifestyle block.

do you know which company bought it 

15 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Hope it tests as a Manuka or it could be an expensive lifestyle block.

do you know which company bought it 

Yes .

It was mot apiaries.

They have been coming here for years.

There sites are always very tidy and well maintained .

I always think if we have to have some out of towners here at least we have beeks like them .

If it’s the guys I’m thinking They are good very beekeepers and have been around a long time but not sure they go by that name.

i hope it goes really well for them :) 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If it’s the guys I’m thinking They are good very beekeepers and have been around a long time but not sure they go by that name.

i hope it goes really well for them :) 

The Kelly's.

Yes I hope it goes well too 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is jelly Bush honey just as effective as Manuka honey in the health area that Manuka is marketed too.

If it is just as good as Manuka all the branding in the world won't make any difference.

People will just by the cheaper product that works just as well.

How optomistic. You know far more about marketing and branding than I do so I will bow do your assessment of the future. 

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Really... how did you read all that into the previous posts?

Because all I hear is what we are up against, what is going against us, what we can't do and what advantages others have or that rules are not fair, standards are not right or could have been better. Every one of those issues can be turned to an advantage it simply depends on your approach to the challenge. Like I said I will carry on my own merry way and see how the cards fall.  

38 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

How optomistic. You know far more about marketing and branding than I do so I will bow do your assessment of the future. 

I did not say that it was as good  , only if it was .

People all around the world by generic health products if they are cheaper and they work .

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

People all around the world by generic health products if they are cheaper and they work .

Well let us make sure it is not as good or perceived as such and maybe we can be Nurofen rather than Ibuprofen generic!

30 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Well let us make sure it is not as good or perceived as such and maybe we can be Nurofen rather than Ibuprofen generic!

I use generic everything .

But I am not your target market .

Manuka market is the wealthy neurotic 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

I use generic everything .

But I am not your target market .

Manuka market is the wealthy neurotic 

Good for you. 'Manuka market is the wealthy neurotic'  your opinion, but possibly not a factual claim. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Adam Boot said:

Good for you. 'Manuka market is the wealthy neurotic'  your opinion, but possibly not a factual claim. 

If not the wealthy neurotic Who do you think is the target market for high priced Manuka ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If not the wealthy neurotic Who do you think is the target market for high priced Manuka ?

See. Always the negative view. In your opinion what classifies as expensive? As an example both of my local supermarkets have a selection of Manuka. Within that selection there are two or three of the most well known and so-called expensive brands. At least two of those three brands are in all three of my local pharmacies. Now according to you, either this country has a huge number of wealthy neurotics or these stores are wasting their shelf space. 

I think you and I should simply agree to disagree on most things. I am not sure we have the same perspective on things and I am certainly not into categorising people by the way they choose to spend their own money. 

Adam 

7 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

You know what? I am sure you are all absolutely correct. Marketing is a waste of time. It will never work, it will not sell anything. I have fooled myself all these years. What a waste. I will pack my bags and give up now. The New Zealand beekeeping forum members have convinced me that Australian Jelly Bush is Manuka and that there is no point improving our own standards. We should not waste our time setting our selves apart or defining New Zealand produce as superior? 

Alternatively, you can all give up. You can roll over and succumb the those inevitable market forces of doom. I might just carry on along my own futile little path. I'm not of the mind to give up. If there is a fight worth fighting is say, give it a crack. You just never know the outcome and it really is a little more fun. 

Each to there own though.

Damn Adam, don't roll over! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

Hey c'mon, you don't really expect a net forum not be full of poppywhacking naysayers do you ?

Best laugh  allllll day! I've had a good one too, doing real beekeeping, wif beeses! "Poppywhacking naysayers" omg gonna use this on the children (who are all over 25!) Thanks @yesbutyou've made my year!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

They paid $2.4 million for over 600 hectare block of some grass but mostly scrub and Manuka .

not that many cops about and a bit of a fly for a helicopter plantation spotting mission. I'm sure there are a variety of business ventures underway. Hell, they buyers are likely high up in the anti-1080 lobby and planning hunting safaris once the drops stop and the deer population over there goes nuts

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

the "and they work" bit is ridiculous given that most purchasers of manuka honey eat the stuff = it's got no advantages over other honey types from a health perspective. Good image signalling though. Purchasing decisions in a market are a lot more complex than 'does it work?'

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

not that many cops about and a bit of a fly for a helicopter plantation spotting mission. I'm sure there are a variety of business ventures underway. Hell, they buyers are likely high up in the anti-1080 lobby and planning hunting safaris once the drops stop and the deer population over there goes nuts

In a lot of cases you may be right .

But not in this case. 

These beeks are a multi generation responsible beeks.

They have had hives in the area for years .

They must have faith in the Manuka market .

• Like 1

Nelson Honey Of NZ Ltd

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Show some confidence.  Take a while to pay that off though.  Lucky seller. 

Oh man, just been told milk is just milk-  I always thought that premium brand was soo much better than that nasty cheapo stuff. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

the "and they work" bit is ridiculous given that most purchasers of manuka honey eat the stuff = it's got no advantages over other honey types from a health perspective. Good image signalling though. Purchasing decisions in a market are a lot more complex than 'does it work?'

Well if neither of them actually work if you swallow them,  why pay a lot of money for something that doesn't work when you can get the much cheaper version that doesn't work .

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Double post 

Phone at fault 

Edited by kaihoka

54 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Show some confidence.  Take a while to pay that off though.  Lucky seller. 

If they are packing and exporting themselves it wont! Even selling at $35 /kg it won't take long. Lucky buyer I reckon.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

See. Always the negative view. In your opinion what classifies as expensive? As an example both of my local supermarkets have a selection of Manuka. Within that selection there are two or three of the most well known and so-called expensive brands. At least two of those three brands are in all three of my local pharmacies. Now according to you, either this country has a huge number of wealthy neurotics or these stores are wasting their shelf space. 

I think you and I should simply agree to disagree on most things. I am not sure we have the same perspective on things and I am certainly not into categorising people by the way they choose to spend their own money. 

Adam 

@Adam Boot Sorry you think my question is negative but I’m genuinely interested in 

who/ what is the target market for high priced Manuka ?

there must be a particular type of person who purchases it whether from a supermarket or a pharmacy. 

It wasnt me who who said anything about healthy neurotics although I do tend to agree 

18 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

healthy neurotics 

Slip of the pen .:6_smile:

But  that's what a lot of neurotics are , healthy .

• Haha 3