Adam Boot

Protecting Manuka - MPI Consultation For Domestic Market

You know my thoughts on improved standards and clarity. 

My position with the PURITI Manuka Honey brand has been made clear for some time. I believe the reasoning behind the brand and higher testing standards, was sound and in the interests of the industry and the consumer. 

It would seem that the MPI are looking now to broaden the use of the Manuka Honey Science Definition  into the domestic market. It will be interesting to here the views of the industry on this one. 

If you have not seen this it may be of interest. 

Mānuka honey sold in New Zealand: is further regulation needed?

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-resources/consultations/manuka-honey-sold-in-new-zealand-is-further-regulation-needed/

MPI is considering whether and how to apply the mānuka honey science definition, currently used for exports, to mānuka honey sold in New Zealand.

No doubt the process will take a long time but inevitably there will be change. 

Come on Adam, You are representing what could be a major player in the industry yet you cant be messaged because you haven't made a donation to the site you are using to create awareness of your product
Poor show 

Im trying to contact you 

59 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Come on Adam, You are representing what could be a major player in the industry yet you cant be messaged because you haven't made a donation to the site you are using to create awareness of your product
Poor show 

Im trying to contact you 

Apologies. All paid up.

Cheers 

Adam

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Apologies. All paid up.

Cheers 

Adam

Lol

No apology required 

• Like 1

On Tuesday 14th we had the MPI consultation meeting in Whangarei re domestic honey standards.

Of course it is common sense to have a universal Manuka standard for export and domestic standards, but I don't agree with the 5 attribute Manuka test for export honey and it's regional effect on Northland produced honey (most honey fails on 2map and is to high in 3PLA for multi- floral manuka) and the financial implications on the vast number of small beekeeping firms, neither did the approx 45 other beekeepers who were vocal in their opposition to implementing this export standard locally and want the export standard modified.

The problem is MPI wanted participants to make submissions on-line, so no real point in attending the meetings. MPI believe the export standard is working fine and there is absolutely no problems with 2Map and 3PLA threshold levels, no regional honey issues and nobody is blending honey to meet the 5 attribute test thresholds???

The Nelson meeting had 11 participants, Whangarei 45 participants, so unless people are prepared to get off their backsides and attend the 6 remaining meetings around the country "and" make submissions, this standard will likely be enforced which will make selling honey locally more expensive I.e. more compliance and testing and create even more of a glut of honey unable to be sold.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

3 hours ago, Karl B said:

On Tuesday 14th we had the MPI consultation meeting in Whangarei re domestic honey standards.

Of course it is common sense to have a universal Manuka standard for export and domestic standards, but I don't agree with the 5 attribute Manuka test for export honey and it's regional effect on Northland produced honey (most honey fails on 2map and is to high in 3PLA for multi- floral manuka) and the financial implications on the vast number of small beekeeping firms, neither did the approx 45 other beekeepers who were vocal in their opposition to implementing this export standard locally and want the export standard modified.

The problem is MPI wanted participants to make submissions on-line, so no real point in attending the meetings. MPI believe the export standard is working fine and there is absolutely no problems with 2Map and 3PLA threshold levels, no regional honey issues and nobody is blending honey to meet the 5 attribute test thresholds???

The Nelson meeting had 11 participants, Whangarei 45 participants, so unless people are prepared to get off their backsides and attend the 6 remaining meetings around the country "and" make submissions, this standard will likely be enforced which will make selling honey locally more expensive I.e. more compliance and testing and create even more of a glut of honey unable to be sold.

So when I wonder will the Ministry (MPI) publicise the meetings?

So many beekeepers seem not to have had any communication from them.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Karl B said:

So my question is. How big is the problem really, if so few are prepared to get of their backsides? 

The 5 attributes may not be perfect but it is what we have and it is better than the void we had before. If it were not for the introduction of these standards many international markets would have lost patience with New Zealand and the consequences could have been dire. I am not sure that this industry fully understands how our international reputation was being tarnished? 

Adam

Can anyone tell me if or when the meeting in Gisborne is?

6 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

So my question is. How big is the problem really, if so few are prepared to get of their backsides? 

The 5 attributes may not be perfect but it is what we have and it is better than the void we had before. If it were not for the introduction of these standards many international markets would have lost patience with New Zealand and the consequences could have been dire. I am not sure that this industry fully understands how our international reputation was being tarnished? 

Adam

Firstly I for one would have gone to the meeting if I knew about it as would other beekeepers a I know of in the area who also didn’t know anything about a meeting.

if markets were losing patience with NZ why are they not losing patience with Australia who are currently selling all sorts of honey as Manuka ? 

It sure doesn’t look like they are feeling a pinch 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bron said:

Can anyone tell me if or when the meeting in Gisborne is?

After the ApiNZ meeting but different venue Bron - 27th July 1pm at the Emerald

Thanks John

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnF said:

After the ApiNZ meeting but different venue Bron - 27th July 1pm at the Emerald

I think she's missed it

• Haha 1

For those of us who haven't been kept in the loop. Cut n paste from NZ Food Safety (MPI).

Wed 8 August   Nelson
The Hotel Nelson
40 Waimea Road
10.30am to 12pm
Tues 14 August   Whangarei
Distinction Whangarei Hotel
9 Riverside Drive
2pm to 3.30pm
Wed 15 August  

Hamilton
Novotel Hamilton Tainui
7 Alma Street

12.30pm to 2pm
Wed 22 August

New Plymouth
Quality Hotel Plymouth International
Cnr Courtenay & Leach Streets

10.30am to 12pm 
Thurs 23 August   Palmerston North
Palmerston North Conference Centre
354 Main Street
12.30pm to 2pm
Mon 27 August   Gisborne
Emerald Hotel Gisborne
13 Gladstone Road
1pm to 2.30pm
Wed 5 September   Christchurch
Commodore Hotel
449 Memorial Avenue
1pm to 2.30pm
Thurs 6 September Dunedin 
Toitu Otago Settlers Museum
50 The Octagon
1pm to 2.30pm
  • Good Info 1

4 hours ago, Hector Wong said:

I think she's missed it

Thats OK Hector - because @Bron couldn't make that one they're holding another one on 27th August for her

• Haha 2

On 17/08/2018 at 12:35 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

Firstly I for one would have gone to the meeting if I knew about it as would other beekeepers a I know of in the area who also didn’t know anything about a meeting.

if markets were losing patience with NZ why are they not losing patience with Australia who are currently selling all sorts of honey as Manuka ? 

It sure doesn’t look like they are feeling a pinch 

There is a dramatic price difference between Australian jelly bush (faux Manuka) and Genuine NZ Manuka. The Australian product is much cheaper and generally aimed at lower value channels and markets. I am sure NZ beekeepers would not want to see our Manuka devalued? In most educated more mature markets Australian faux Manuka is not seen as the real thing. It does how ever undermine and slowly gain traction. The important point is to maintain a clear differentiation between NZ product and Australian. We do this by establishing, maintaining and policing higher standards. 

If you are arguing that it is ok to sell all sorts of honey as Manuka, then I am not with you and I am completely opposed to this. The frustration or lack of patience with NZ stems from the fact that we claim to own this type/brand/style of honey yet have historically not be universally principled enough to define and protect the quality and integrity. It is difficult to for us to throw stones and criticise other countries claims while we have previously been loose with definition. 

Adam

I think the Aussie’s selling their jellybush as Manuka at low prices is very definitely undermining the value of NZ Manuka honey.

i think the most important issue right now is NZ obtaining  exclusive rights to the word Manuka .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aussie's are planting vast numbers of 'our' manuka, and have a far greater landmass suitable to grow a primary vegetation species - more than the total land area of New Zealand, plus manuka seed is extremely fertile and springs up on any land not constantly cultivated or grazed, seeds are not hard to find and their climate is generally warmer so easier for the bees to work them. One person alone has purportedly planted 5 million plants. Marketing spin will not counter the reality.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Marketing spin will not counter the reality.

But if they can’t use the word Manuka on the label that will make a huge difference 

i agree with you @Sailabee about marketing spin not countering the reality if someone is able to sell something as Manuka honey for half the price of the NZ product then people will be more than happy to buy it.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

But if they can’t use the word Manuka on the label that will make a huge difference 

Totally agree, but trying to Trademark 'Manuka' has so far been a long expensive path and if Aussie is growing the same species, even changing the name will not kill the advantage of the NZ research. 

The Aussies have an added advantage in that they can label any of  their honey with activity ratings including peroxide activity making their honey look pretty good.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

i agree with you @Sailabee about marketing spin not countering the reality if someone is able to sell something as Manuka honey for half the price of the NZ product then people will be more than happy to buy it.

You know what? I am sure you are all absolutely correct. Marketing is a waste of time. It will never work, it will not sell anything. I have fooled myself all these years. What a waste. I will pack my bags and give up now. The New Zealand beekeeping forum members have convinced me that Australian Jelly Bush is Manuka and that there is no point improving our own standards. We should not waste our time setting our selves apart or defining New Zealand produce as superior? 

Alternatively, you can all give up. You can roll over and succumb the those inevitable market forces of doom. I might just carry on along my own futile little path. I'm not of the mind to give up. If there is a fight worth fighting is say, give it a crack. You just never know the outcome and it really is a little more fun. 

Each to there own though.

• Haha 1

Is jelly Bush honey just as effective as Manuka honey in the health area that Manuka is marketed too.

If it is just as good as Manuka all the branding in the world won't make any difference.

People will just by the cheaper product that works just as well.

48 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

You know what? I am sure you are all absolutely correct. Marketing is a waste of time. It will never work, it will not sell anything. I have fooled myself all these years. What a waste. I will pack my bags and give up now. The New Zealand beekeeping forum members have convinced me that Australian Jelly Bush is Manuka and that there is no point improving our own standards. We should not waste our time setting our selves apart or defining New Zealand produce as superior? 

Alternatively, you can all give up. You can roll over and succumb the those inevitable market forces of doom. I might just carry on along my own futile little path. I'm not of the mind to give up. If there is a fight worth fighting is say, give it a crack. You just never know the outcome and it really is a little more fun. 

Hey c'mon, you don't really expect a net forum not be full of poppywhacking naysayers do you ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

You know what? I am sure you are all absolutely correct. Marketing is a waste of time. It will never work, it will not sell anything. I have fooled myself all these years. What a waste. I will pack my bags and give up now. The New Zealand beekeeping forum members have convinced me that Australian Jelly Bush is Manuka 

Really... how did you read all that into the previous posts?

Some beek opperations must think there will still be money in Manuka .

They paid $2.4 million for over 600 hectare block of some grass but mostly scrub and Manuka .

Down the road out the back of  , mangarakau .