AFB Proposed Levy Increase

8 hours ago, cBank said:

sn’t there one month anyway? I say give an extra one month once.

Police used to give a ticket for no WOF/Rego, and you could get off this ticket if you showed that you got your WOF/Rego wihin a period of time. 

Not anymore- Too damn bad.  

Just register the site! 

• Agree 2
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All   I am not convinced by the argument that we need an increase in the AFB levy.  The funding levels must have doubled over the last ten years as  apiary sites have more than doubled. 

Unregistered sites  are a problem but there are plenty of  registered  beekeepers who are just as bad or worse. I think the proposed increase is unnecessary and unjustifiable mainly because the curren

Small things: Why would a disease control agency discourage multiple small sites that are more suitable for containing diseases? Isn't charging a disincentive to register all your sites? Why would you

Posted Images

so currently, if you a site is discovered to be not Registered- the beekeeper just needs to register?? No penalty?

Talking with someone else, your DECA could be revoked for failing to comply. 

No big deal I suppose if one could get another DECA holder to sign the forms. 

The system needs an easy method to penalise or 'encourage' compliance- nothing massive but a pain in the ars for beekeeper. If it's not, then I might not register mine- worth the risk....

Not sure why the agency is not seeking a proportional funding method with our Gov.  Maybe I need to find the time and read those Regulations/Acts---- 

• Agree 2

I concede that Apiweb needs kicking.  By the way, did the agency seek multiple estimates/quotes for the work? And who's doing the upgrade for 500K?

And that the current systems doesn't work that well. 

And will pay an increase, though for each dollar I spend I would like Gov to contribute as well.  Why not? NAIT and BT get tons of funding. 

Also, the target to inspect hives- I believe that AP2 beekeepers weren't asked enough to check hives.  There used to be Disease days and beekeepers worked together to inspect hives.  I haven't heard of one for a while. I asked to become an AP2 a while back and was endorsed by someone at Assure- no response at all. 

More beehives could be inspected under the current system.  Just needed to be organised. 

And NO WAY is a hive worth over 1K.  It's just to make the 'effort' to save 41,000 hives from destruction seem worthy. Those 'saved' hives will probably be from a beekeeper who has lots of unchecked AFB anyway.  So much like the Dog Registration.  I paid $80 for our short legged friend- 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BeeBob said:

I wonder if a different approach is needed.  I had to get council approval for my hives as landowner.  If councils would make beekeeping a permitted activity conditional on hives being registered, this would put the onus on landowners to check on the owners of hives on their land.  Landowners could be prosecuted for non-compliance for having unregisterered hives on their land, but more importantly, this would provide an incentive for them to sight the registration before giving approval to place hives on their property.  For registered beekeepers this would be little to no extra hassle.  It also puts council staff in the position of monitoring compliance (and there are many more council staff than AFB people).  Given the direct and indirect benefits of beehives to the district, this would provide an incentive for council engagement.

If the Auckland Council got involved in beekeeping in any way, it would be the end of beekeeping as it would become the domain of only the very wealthy. For example, I have a friend whose sister lives in urban North Shore who is trying to subdivide the large section they currently live on, both sections will be larger than required in the bylaws, and so far they have spent $180,000, in reports etc required, and they are still spending. 

14 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Three aerial surveys have revealed that 20%, 47% and 48% of apiaries in the locations targeted were unregistered.

I guess these 3 aerial surveys were over Manuka country?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I concede that Apiweb needs kicking.  By the way, did the agency seek multiple estimates/quotes for the work? And who's doing the upgrade for 500K?

And that the current systems doesn't work that well. 

And will pay an increase, though for each dollar I spend I would like Gov to contribute as well.  Why not? NAIT and BT get tons of funding. 

Also, the target to inspect hives- I believe that AP2 beekeepers weren't asked enough to check hives.  There used to be Disease days and beekeepers worked together to inspect hives.  I haven't heard of one for a while. I asked to become an AP2 a while back and was endorsed by someone at Assure- no response at all. 

More beehives could be inspected under the current system.  Just needed to be organised. 

And NO WAY is a hive worth over 1K.  It's just to make the 'effort' to save 41,000 hives from destruction seem worthy. Those 'saved' hives will probably be from a beekeeper who has lots of unchecked AFB anyway.  So much like the Dog Registration.  I paid $80 for our short legged friend- 

If I was the government, I would contribute to the industry but only if an when The Management Agency gets their act together and prosecutes. Otherwise is money down the toilet.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

So much like the Dog Registration.  I paid $80 for our short legged friend- 

You should perhaps stop comparing this to dog rego. I agree with a lot of what you are saying about this topic, but I don't see the comparison, or, necessarily agree with the dog stuff (so not clicking the agree button...)

• Agree 1
52 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I think they've stated somewhere they don't have the money to prosecute...

Because they spend it very badly. As the government, I would like all their accounts made public before we even get to the discussion table.

• Agree 3
15 minutes ago, Sil29er said:

Because they spend it very badly. As the government, I would like all their accounts made public before we even get to the discussion table.

Right now, I think every minute and dollar is deployed sorting their latest blunder (that we know about) - Myco Plasma Bovis.

• Agree 1
On 24/07/2018 at 6:10 PM, Otto said:

Been having a read through the Biosecurity Order (American Foulbrood and Apiary Levy). There are maximum amounts for what the levies can be spelled out in the Order but there does not seem to be a clause regarding the making of changes to the Order. 

Does anyone know the legal process for making such substantial changes to the Order? 

via a power under the biosecurity act i think? Right at the start of the Order it states " Pursuant to section 90 of the Biosecurity Act 1993, Her Excellency the Governor-General, acting on the advice and with the consent of the Executive Council, makes the following order. ", probably the same goes for either replacing or amending the Order.

23 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

If the landowner has to go for the permit then they may choose to not let beehives on their property.

Not likely.
In the event that there is a cost associated with Hive placement the cost will simply be passed on.

That is if he chose to
He may just pay it 

Edited by Philbee

One thing that seems to have been missed from the AFB presentation coverage in this thread  - that it was admitted that AFB levels have risen by 15% each year . . . for the last 5 years. 

Also the $500K was unexpected (for all !) for apiweb and the plan has been shelved for now. I think clifton said that Apiweb would eventually be part of a much larger traceability database ? Could have that bit wrong

When flying in beehives with helicopter.  

They get flown out with a crop on.

Then shifted with crop on to a large 'home' yard- either nearby or half a country away. 

The honey is harvested at the 'home' yard.

What would you write on the paper work, for where the honey is Harvested?  

• Like 2