Gino de Graaf

AFB Proposed Levy Increase

15 hours ago, tommy dave said:

and i really wish everyone would read both the presentation and the proposal in full:

http://www.afb.org.nz/Websites/nzafb/images/APINZ 2018 Conference Presentation 002.pdf

According to this document (AFB PMP) they value a hive (destroyed - all components...) at $1215.48.

Does everyone agree with that?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

I got quite a few sites with only a few hives on, friends and that sort of thing who like bees but it's a bit of a pain, this will be the excuse I'm going to use to pull these hives out and consolidate a lot of these sites.

That's a shame you are being forced into it. I'm the same, but I don't want to pull them out - I am spreading an awareness of bees and the enjoyment of working with them etc...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

That's a shame you are being forced into it. I'm the same, but I don't want to pull them out - I am spreading an awareness of bees and the enjoyment of working with them etc...

How many hives do you run ? What is your harvesting regime ?

32 minutes ago, yesbut said:

How many hives do you run ? What is your harvesting regime ?

I've got 14 hives (expanding and contracting numbers), but looking at expanding atm. I keep a couple for my local school under my rego, and at the $15 cost I don't mind footing the bill... but not at $50.

Harvesting regime?

45 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

I've got 14 hives (expanding and contracting numbers), but looking at expanding atm. I keep a couple for my local school under my rego, and at the $15 cost I don't mind footing the bill... but not at $50.

Harvesting regime?

How do you harvest, ie crush, extract yourself or get it done ? I'm just curious to know how others handle their honey. I'm using less all the time, going along with this anti-sugar thing. Which I'm sure by the way won't be helping honey prices.

A comment was made that the winners are beekeepers with four or less apiaries. I have two hives, so currently I pay $20 plus $15, so $35. This will rise to $40 plus $50 ($90) in 2023. This is more than 2 1/2 what I am paying now. Let's say an apiary has 5 hives. So someone with four apiaries with five hives (20 hives) pays the same as me with two hives. So proportionally, the increase for me is as much or greater than others.

I acknowledge that the AFB risk per hive associated with amateur hives will be greater than for commercials. 

My concern is that this will be a big disincentive for small scale beekeepers to register their hives, which the AFB people recognise is the basic step for management: "For effective national control of AFB, apiary sites must be accurately identified and registered. The register of apiaries defines the locations where honey bee colonies infected with AFB may be present.".

The consultation document then states: "The current apiary registration compliance programme is largely based upon beekeepers’ honesty as the Management Agency does not have the funding to investigate and follow-up on non-registered apiaries. Three aerial surveys have revealed that 20%, 47% and 48% of apiaries in the locations targeted were unregistered.

It seems to me that raising the levy disproportionately for small producers will be a disincentive for voluntary compliance by those who probably present the greatest risk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From the levy proposal:

"However, before the Management Agency Board makes a recommendation to the Minister for Biosecurity for a new levy order, we would like to hear your views on the proposed

levy and investment plans."

It sounds to me that it might be sensible to write to the Minister as well as making a submission regarding the draft changes to ensure the Minister is fully aware of the opinion of beekeepers.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Otto said:

From the levy proposal:

"However, before the Management Agency Board makes a recommendation to the Minister for Biosecurity for a new levy order, we would like to hear your views on the proposed

levy and investment plans."

It sounds to me that it might be sensible to write to the Minister as well as making a submission regarding the draft changes to ensure the Minister is fully aware of the opinion of beekeepers.

That's a good idea, and could this be an avenue to seek Government contribution?? 

Over the three flyovers, there is an average of 38% unregistered. If you have a one month moratorium so everyone gets their Apiweb identity records straight, then clobber them at least five times the legal rate. This way, those of us - hobby or commercial will stop subsidising the ripoff merchants, and the dramatic boost in funds will negate any need for rises in levies. 

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Selling the unregisters hives will be a pain for all involved. 

• System needs to have teeth to help change behaviour.  The lawful will carry the cost.  Avoid court and work with fines/compliance. Recover cost. 
  • Apiweb is a joke, it does need updating. 
  • No sliding scale- cheaper for 4 or less sites, anyone else pays full price
  • Disadvantages Hive Rental ventures 
  • An increase is reasonable=There has been no levy increase for 14 years
  • The increase is too large
  • No other options presented= the proposal is set and likely carry forward- 
  • No government contribution to help keep bees healthy in for economic sustainability/ growth. =  it happens in other primary industries. 

Just a quick list of ideas/thoughts for me.  Please, add to this.  Keep points short and clear and show any possible alternative option.

Maybe most are okay with the increase... 

If we can share ideas here, then it could be easier for anyone who wants to submit to do so. 

It think it should be a three strike system first offence $50 bucks second offence $100 bucks third time they come back to ashes and a bill. They have the power to do this but chose to not look at the real problems. To say it's to hard is to give up to tax the confirmers is not right to tax the smaller hobby sites is not right. 

I don't mean bring out your pitch forks and go native.

As for spending half a million dollars on a new app it should incorporate some other things like hive management honey tracking to help compliance with apriry reg honey tracking.

If they plan to spend this much do the f#$@ing thing right 

• Agree 3

Been having a read through the Biosecurity Order (American Foulbrood and Apiary Levy). There are maximum amounts for what the levies can be spelled out in the Order but there does not seem to be a clause regarding the making of changes to the Order. 

Does anyone know the legal process for making such substantial changes to the Order? 

• Good Info 1

I wonder if a different approach is needed.  I had to get council approval for my hives as landowner.  If councils would make beekeeping a permitted activity conditional on hives being registered, this would put the onus on landowners to check on the owners of hives on their land.  Landowners could be prosecuted for non-compliance for having unregisterered hives on their land, but more importantly, this would provide an incentive for them to sight the registration before giving approval to place hives on their property.  For registered beekeepers this would be little to no extra hassle.  It also puts council staff in the position of monitoring compliance (and there are many more council staff than AFB people).  Given the direct and indirect benefits of beehives to the district, this would provide an incentive for council engagement.

Yes and no. I agree in principal that council could be involved , but they are going to want $$$$ to be involved as well .

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

How do you harvest, ie crush, extract yourself or get it done ? I'm just curious to know how others handle their honey. I'm using less all the time, going along with this anti-sugar thing. Which I'm sure by the way won't be helping honey prices.

Ah. I’ve got a little two frame extractor. Can’t get enough of honey. Have it in a drink every day. Make mead. Give lots away. Got two young boys who love it in sandwiches and spoons of comb honey etc. but my 14 hives don’t all produce honey. Some are nucs and I have a queen castle.. ... make soap and body bars...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BeeBob said:

I had to get council approval for my hives as landowner

Why was that ?

28 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Why was that ?

Because when you live in an urban area you have to abide by the local council bylaws.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Otto said:

Been having a read through the Biosecurity Order (American Foulbrood and Apiary Levy). There are maximum amounts for what the levies can be spelled out in the Order but there does not seem to be a clause regarding the making of changes to the Order. 

Does anyone know the legal process for making such substantial changes to the Order? 

Biosecurity (American Foulbrood – Apiary and Beekeeper Levy) Order 2003,

is the funding mechanism for the 

Biosecurity (National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan) Order 1998.

The above management plan as it stands is in place to till 1st April 2023, then I would think an application from industry to the govt to renew the plan as is or make some amendments to either order or just one.Beekeepers should also read these two acts as well to understand some of the rules and constraints that we have to work with when dealing with govt.

Biosecurity Act 1993

Commodity Levies Act 1990

Yes we all should be making submissions on the proposal to increase levies.

• Good Info 2

16 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Because when you live in an urban area you have to abide by the local council bylaws.

Correct, but these bylaws could potentially also apply to rural areas.

I recognise the risks of increasing council control, but it seems likely to be more effective in encouraging landowners to get the owners of hives on their land to be registered.  More registered hives, more AFB levy income sources, so less per hive.  And a better handle on where hives are and the AFB risks.

13 minutes ago, BeeBob said:

Correct, but these bylaws could potentially also apply to rural areas.

I can not imagine these bylaws being applied to properties over 5 hectares.

If the landowner has to go for the permit then they may choose to not let beehives on their property.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Over the three flyovers, there is an average of 38% unregistered. If you have a one month moratorium so everyone gets their Apiweb identity records straight, then clobber them at least five times the legal rate. This way, those of us - hobby or commercial will stop subsidising the ripoff merchants, and the dramatic boost in funds will negate any need for rises in levies. 

Isn’t there one month anyway? I say give an extra one month once. Then hit the offenders instantly every time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sailabee said:

look what has happened once Fonterra started paying insane CEO salaries.

The milk bottles aren’t see through anymore?

Were they innovating before the current ceo? Mass producing milk powder is what they do god knows something needs to happen to add a bit more value.

• Agree 1