AFB Proposed Levy Increase

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

How about discovered unregistered hives will be confiscated immediately. Then they can be sold on TM or similar.

No, destroyed. Industrial fly spray, and demolished on the spot.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 4
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All   I am not convinced by the argument that we need an increase in the AFB levy.  The funding levels must have doubled over the last ten years as  apiary sites have more than doubled. 

Unregistered sites  are a problem but there are plenty of  registered  beekeepers who are just as bad or worse. I think the proposed increase is unnecessary and unjustifiable mainly because the curren

Small things: Why would a disease control agency discourage multiple small sites that are more suitable for containing diseases? Isn't charging a disincentive to register all your sites? Why would you

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I try to read between the lines and it looks like this increase is affected massively by unregistered hives/apiaries.

How about discovered unregistered hives will be confiscated immediately. Then they can be sold on TM or similar. Preferably TM because it is more open and the highest bid wins. All that money will go to the Agency.

I don't think selling the hives is the answer and the cost to quarantine and check and administer a sale would suck up even more resources.  If they are not prepared to pay for an Apiary site be $15 or $50 bucks would you want to buy their hives and bee stock??

Destroy them and prosecute the offenders, a massive fine, jail time and court costs should deter for next time and make others thinking about think twice.  Unfortunately I think we need a few examples made of

• Agree 4
1 minute ago, BY Bees said:

I don't think selling the hives is the answer and the cost to quarantine and check and administer a sale would suck up even more resources.  If they are not prepared to pay for an Apiary site be $15 or $50 bucks would you want to buy their hives and bee stock??

Destroy them and prosecute the offenders, a massive fine, jail time and court costs should deter for next time and make others thinking about think twice.  Unfortunately I think we need a few examples made of

I think that will be harsher than what currently drug users get.

3 minutes ago, BY Bees said:

I don't think selling the hives is the answer and the cost to quarantine and check and administer a sale would suck up even more resources.

Agreed. Needs to be quick simple & final. 

4 minutes ago, BY Bees said:

Destroy them and prosecute the offenders, a massive fine, jail time

No jail time I don't want to feed any more of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Agreed. Needs to be quick simple & final. 

No jail time I don't want to feed any more of them.

If I can take them without getting in trouble(so call it official) I will be quick as and no one will see them again. That will be final. I will be happy to get to one thousand hives in a season with all the gear(brood boxes, QE, honey suppers).

Bring it on.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 2
30 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Yes, however your mate does not have the right connections to get this job. So those with the connection can charge what ever their connection agrees. The connection(the person in charge...... the boss in the town) will get his "gift" too. From 500k that can be sorted easily.

Agree
Actually I have two mates in the business but the big wig is a real big wig in the public sector and it does really annoy him to see this sort of thing happen. 

• Agree 1
13 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Getting rid of AFB is right up there with getting rid of M Bovis.

Plenty of job creation requires plenty of funds with absolutely no guarantee of success 

Seems to be the way of the world .

Less sticky fingers in the honey pot would be better 

The answer is to maintain scrutiny and accountability on the ticket clippers
Dont let them hide in the backroom clipping the tickets with ever more sophisticated hole punchers set on auto clip.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
3 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Just got a notification via email.  Massive increase in apiary levy over next few years- going up to $50 a apiary versus current $15 odd. 

Money's going to upgrade Apiweb- about 500K- it doesn't say what happens to the extra annual levy for the apiweb increase after it's done. 

The cost of bureaucratic process - lots. 

The winners- Hobby beekeeper with less than 4 apiaries.   A total of $50 increase

And overseas countries such as China 

Me- about 40 sites- I will be paying an extra of $1,400 odd.  Presently $500.  That's massive.  

How about billing beekeepers who have too much AFB or don't actively control AFB.  Go to the source of the issues and seek funding there. 

Reminds me of Dog Registration.  

it's a proposal. They're asking for submissions. Make one. Good news is that they're stating the problem clearly, and identifying possible fixes as well as a possible route to funding them.

and i really wish everyone would read both the presentation and the proposal in full:

http://www.afb.org.nz/Websites/nzafb/images/APINZ 2018 Conference Presentation 002.pdf

and

http://www.afb.org.nz/Websites/nzafb/images/Levy proposal_final.pdf

Edited by tommy dave

why does non compliance need to go to court? 

Can't the agency just send a bill?  Like a traffic ticket?  X amount per site/hive.  If not paid, goes to the debt collector.  

Nothing huge, but annoying enough and payable- if too large an amount then they less likely to be paid. 

If outstanding after x period- revoke RMP? 

I don't like dog registration- you're a sucker who pays for other people laughing about it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
5 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

it's a proposal. They're asking for submissions. Make one.

Could some joint submission as discussed for Hive Rental guys work better than a lot of independent ones? 

Get some key thoughts/ideas together and have a stronger case.

I have said it earlier - can the Agency approach Government for further funding?  It happens a lot- it's not like I have a hand out, just that Gov does support other Industries, why not this one?  The health of our hives is of concern to the productivity of our country. 

1 hour ago, BY Bees said:

That is exactly what they said today, that it is too expensive to prosecute offenders at $100,000 a go and the most that would happen would be that they would destroy the hives if found.  !

they also need to address their infringement/compliance tools. Add spot fines and compliance notices etc - similar to speeding tickets and demerit points = they aren't prosecutions so cost not much to administer but do act as a deterrent.

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, dansar said:

100% boycott of the fee payment would say a lot.

yes they could counter with product being held up in transit/compliance.

I wonder how long they can go without a pay cheque? Not even 12months I bet.

i would hope every single boycotter was prosecuted and named and shamed as a disgrace

38 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

i would hope every single boycotter was prosecuted and named and shamed as a disgrace

why? it wouldnt change their current way of operating (correctly and lawfully). A proposed levy increase of that order of magnitude is not sustainable in any business unless it is recoverable by way of reducing operating costs or increasing prices of goods for sale. Not sustainable/attainable for a lot of businesses I work with.

• Agree 2

Officially honey has to come from a registered site if it is to be exported. Surely enforcing this would dramatically increase the poor compliance and there for reduce the proposed cost to those of us who play by the rules. Unfortunately pen pushers are very good at spending other people's money and increasing the price for those who already comply is the easiest way to get more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
3 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I try to read between the lines and it looks like this increase is affected massively by unregistered hives/apiaries.

How about discovered unregistered hives will be confiscated immediately. Then they can be sold on TM or similar. Preferably TM because it is more open and the highest bid wins. All that money will go to the Agency.

I will not like to have those hives sold for peanuts behind the doors to those with connections.

I’d hazard a guess and say that unregistered hives are more likely to be also unchecked hives meaning more likely to be riddled with all sorts of nasties and selling these to random buyers via trade me makes no sense whatsoever. 

Levies need to increase to help fund more inspectors to do their job in locating disease and p poor operators but surely these clowns can be heavily fined to recover cost. 

Yes there needs to be a minimum colony per site to help out the guys running rental type businesses with 1 per site. 

Our costs having 300 odd sites are huge but still feel it needs to happen. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Alastair said:

I got quite a few sites with only a few hives on, friends and that sort of thing who like bees but it's a bit of a pain, this will be the excuse I'm going to use to pull these hives out and consolidate a lot of these sites.

Your friends might pay the levy.... 

• Like 1

Selling the unregisters hives will be a pain for all involved. 

• System needs to have teeth to help change behaviour.  The lawful will carry the cost.  Avoid court and work with fines/compliance. Recover cost. 
  • Apiweb is a joke, it does need updating. 
  • No sliding scale- cheaper for 4 or less sites, anyone else pays full price
  • Disadvantages Hive Rental ventures 
  • An increase is reasonable=There has been no levy increase for 14 years
  • The increase is too large
  • No other options presented= the proposal is set and likely carry forward- 
  • No government contribution to help keep bees healthy in for economic sustainability/ growth. =  it happens in other primary industries. 

Just a quick list of ideas/thoughts for me.  Please, add to this.  Keep points short and clear and show any possible alternative option.

Maybe most are okay with the increase... 

If we can share ideas here, then it could be easier for anyone who wants to submit to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The real problem is the large number of unregistered apiaries some recidivist beekeepers have. After one successful prosecution against a beekeeper or company, all further cases should be criminalised so there is a real consequence - a police record, and the government carries the cost of prosecution. Comparing it to Myco Plasma Bovis, the total lack of many to keep proper Nait records of stock movements is costing farmers and taxpayers alike zillions. 

Hiking the registration cost will not be effective, just increase the problem.

• Agree 2