BrentG

NZBF Wax Foundation

Has anyone ever used plain foundation that isn't embossed..just flat wax? Would this work?

22 minutes ago, BrentG said:

Has anyone ever used plain foundation that isn't embossed..just flat wax? Would this work?

if it did no one would be using embossed foundation. 

i suspect they would make comb all over the place.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Here's something for @Markypoo & his kids to investigate !

I smell a science fair investigation! 

• Like 2

I cant help myself Tristan. I wonder if we also do what we have always done or we are already doing it right..?

They will fill a frame with just a starter strip. So it could well be that they wont draw a commercial frame.

The question could be- how do you intend to make a flat piece of foundation @BrentG ?

• Like 1

Hi Mummzie. Dipped board into hot wax and cooled then rolled. I just cant justify an embossing roller

Have fun playing, but I hope you have a big shed. And let us know how it goes. I think the rolling will be very important- otherwise the sheet is very brittle.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BrentG said:

I wonder if we also do what we have always done or we are already doing it right..

that is a very good sentiment. one of the traps is that we forget why we do things a certain way and understanding why we do it is the most important part.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Just to add what what is probably obvious to most people here...

If you add strips (cutting down full sheets to do 2 or 3 frames that are 3/4) it seems to work better adding them to honey boxes near the middle, with full drawn frames either side.

Adding small strips to brood boxes gets you drone comb (huge great cells) and seems to encourage queen cups.

Adding strips between drawn frames gets you beautiful white comb but it’s obviously slower and a bit less regular.

My standard disclaimer - I’m new to this.

Edited by cBank
  • Haha 1

Knew a guy that had no wax so used flute board in his frames and for twenty boxes on honey, bees drew and filled it all with honey.

10 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Knew a guy that had no wax so used flute board in his frames and for twenty boxes on honey, bees drew and filled it all with honey.

Seen it done by inner city beek hobby  - all those areas for the large wax moth to lay, hatch and play where the bees couldn't reach them.

35 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Seen it done by inner city beek hobby  - all those areas for the large wax moth to lay, hatch and play where the bees couldn't reach them.

You mean in the internal flutes ?

Just now, yesbut said:

You mean in the internal flutes ?

Yes, right along the edges of the coreflute, all lined up in tidy staight lines where the bees can't quite reach to remove the eggs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Yes, right along the edges of the coreflute, all lined up in tidy staight lines where the bees can't quite reach to remove the eggs.

Dang, there goes that idea

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sailabee said:

And people wonder why the bees get bad tempered.

You could use smooth sheets in the honey boxes (above a QX) and they’ll draw it out and fill with honey. Doesn’t matter much if they build drone comb - fits more honey. And if they draw it out beautifully with worker comb, you can use it in the brood box next season. 

Or or sell the wax and buy foundation...

regarding corflute... surely you can just silicon up the ends? Gap filler? @yesbut

The more wax my sheilas have to make the less honey I have to deal with. I won't be trying any plastic.

• Agree 2

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, BrentG said:

This chap in Ireland does and here's video clip. One way of getting them to build worker cells is to provide them with drone comb yourself- something like one comb of drone for every four of worker to begin with. As they would be in the mood to build a lot of drone to come spring time.

He's a great bee keeper, just follow his Rose Hives video's or get his book, he helped guide me into "Easy Bee Keeping".

One size boxes, no queen excluder, don't feed, great for hobby bee keeping.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, yesbut said:

The more wax my sheilas have to make the less honey I have to deal with. I won't be trying any plastic.

Was thinking I'd skim off the cappings wax to carve out some word or logo and putting it back in with one less frame so they draw it out further and then entering it in a club competition once capped. May as well have some fun with them. This whole honey thing is a bit of a hassle really but what can you do <shrug> they insist on making it.

• Haha 1