NZ Bee Research Priorities Survey

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an economist at Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research, a New Zealand Crown Research Institute. Since 2015, I have run the NZ Colony Loss Survey.   In talking with beekeepers and scientists

I'm with @frazzledfozzlecompletely. Would also like a the powers that be take a good look at some data around the AFB dogs. It's got to be a no brainer, dogs noses, then people for the visual. We gott

To me Some of the questions are about problems we have in the industry but are not something I think research funds should be spent on because the answer is obvious and regulation is the only way to f

Posted Images

1 hour ago, nikki watts said:

Thanks for the effort you’ve put into this @Pike  it’s very interesting reading. What do you see happening next with this research. 

Thanks for that. I hope that this survey might provide some guidance to scientists and science funders on what kinds of research beekeepers would find most useful. That way, we can design research programmes that are fit for purpose.

In an earlier post, @frazzledfozzle said that their top priorities for research were pathogens and non-manuka honey. Looking at the second figure I posted, these priorities seem to align pretty well with those of other commercial beekeepers, 46% of whom put pathogens in the highest priority category and 29% of whom put non-manuka honey in the highest priority category. These are above carrying capacity and beekeeper behaviour, which @frazzledfozzle put at the bottom of the list.

It's interesting that we can look at the same set of graphs and reach such different conclusions... Perhaps @yesbut said it best when they wrote "Consensus ? Kiwi beeks ? HEEEEE HAAAAAAA HHHOOOOOOOOO"!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Geez it’s looking very bleak for some of my levy money when I see what the priorities are for research :(:( 

The pathogens part features rather prominently @frazzledfozzle - esp if you take viruses/nosemas and AFB together

Thanks for the great work @Pike . Very interesting reading. There is substantial (but yes, not industry-funded) work going on in these pathogen areas currently, with room for more work in future [JM]

17 hours ago, Sailabee said:

I think the small number of beeks prepared to fill in something that takes so little time shows an insane level of apathy. Thank you for at least trying to get an idea of the current opinions on a range of subjects.

Is your post a subtle declaration of no confidence in the results? 

5 hours ago, Philbee said:

Is your post a subtle declaration of no confidence in the results? 

Not at all, but it does give an idea why ApiNZ thought beeks would just rollover and let them rule. Some decisions are far more palatable if they come from a large number of respondents. With this survey, not even 10% of the forum members or registered beekeepers bothered to answer. Sorts the shakers and makers from the rest, who will bleat afterwards but didn't answer.

• Agree 1
9 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Not at all, but it does give an idea why ApiNZ thought beeks would just rollover and let them rule. Some decisions are far more palatable if they come from a large number of respondents. With this survey, not even 10% of the forum members or registered beekeepers bothered to answer. Sorts the shakers and makers from the rest, who will bleat afterwards but didn't answer.

Your ApiNZ connection is subjective IMO and not relevant to this survey IMO
582 Beeks is a lot of Beeks and one could ask if the number of respondents was say, 3 times greater, looking at the results, would they likely be significantly different.
In other words, IMO the sample is representative of the industry, more or less 

Edited by Philbee
  • Agree 1