Bees

Document Varroa resistant bees coming soon!?

“Over recent years our company has.achieved what many throughout the world, have not.
We are now able to breed bees resistant to the Varroa Mites and have a plan to eliminate the mites naturally by making available Breeding Stock to others in the Industry.
It is a two season process. The first stage is to use a breeder to produce resistant drones. At that stage, mite build up is slower than normal but still needs a miticide treatment in the late autumn. Resessive genes carry the resistance.
Then the next season using another breeder from a different line and her virgin queens mated with the selected drones those bees will be quite resistant to the mites. As the drone stock is gradually spread more widely, mating in the air will give more resistance in the overall bee population until eventually the wild stock will also become resistant, so in essence we will have reversed how the mites spread throughout NZ when they first arrived here.”

The above is is the beginning of an email I received today .   Maybe some of you have received it as well?   

There are several issues that are bought up in the whole email but I am still trying to get my head around the fact that they claim that  supposedly New Zealand’s varroa problems could be reversed in two seasons.   If that was the case then surely some other countries would have already tried to achieve that.   I love NZ and know we are special but we aren’t God. And what makes us think we can do something no other country has been able to do.?     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am from the company spreading this email..

First we don't claim it can be only done in two seasons..that is what it takes for your own business...(have just spoken to him to suggest an edit) it does take quite awile to get it spread through the genes of the bees so would take a couple of years NZ wide.. basicly what my grandfather is trying to explain Is that you first need resistant queens laying in the hives.. then the next season you use a different strain of the resistant bee to breed with those previous drone stock from that previous season. Thus producing bees that are more resistant with each season and cycle.

We have been working on this resistance for about 5 years and I personally worked on the sugar shaking and data collection to see which hives gained more or less resistance after mating the Queens. . I know it may seem to good to be true but I emplore you to explore it further so you can make up your own mind. This has received a good review by Tony Roper from MPI but he is currently on leave so we cannot currently get him to do like a "peer review" for it..

This could be truly life changing for the bees.. not only in NZ but abroad.

Thanks 

Edited by ReneeJones
Spoke to him about it as I seen it
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2

This is the give a little page I did to try help through Facebook.. it has a few pics.. but for the most info reply to that email :)

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/mountainbeech

Sorry I am not clear on what you want. Do you already have resistant bees or are you wanting financial help to develop them, as your givealittle page suggests? 

"Semi Commercial"? 

Just how far removed from Hobbyist is this out fit,

How many Hives do they have 

How long is a couple of seasons on the coast? Up here its two years.

46 minutes ago, ReneeJones said:

First we don't claim it can be only done in two seasons..that is what it takes for your own business...(have just spoken to him to suggest an edit) it does take quite awile to get it spread through the genes of the bees so would take a couple of years NZ wide..

This is going to be a great thread

30 minutes ago, Philbee said:

"Semi Commercial"? 

This should be treated the same way you would treat an email from the widow of a Nigerian general! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

The great clobbering machine swings into gear.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, yesbut said:

The great clobbering machine swings into gear.....

I agree

Even Nigerian widows deserve a decent pension. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

"Semi Commercial"? 

Oh yes ... this is gonna be even more entertaining than the world cup....but hey, maybe someone does have a mite resistant bee. Did'nt the sooth sayers say when people jumped on Stevensons rocket that they'd all die because it went faster than a horse .....?

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

a mite resistant bee.

They are no doubt out there but they dont breed true

47 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

VSH resistance is a recessive gene

Err, the proof is where ?

3 hours ago, Bees said:

“Over recent years our company has.achieved what many throughout the world, have not.
We are now able to breed bees resistant to the Varroa Mites and have a plan to eliminate the mites naturally by making available Breeding Stock to others in the Industry.
It is a two season process. The first stage is to use a breeder to produce resistant drones. At that stage, mite build up is slower than normal but still needs a miticide treatment in the late autumn. Resessive genes carry the resistance.
Then the next season using another breeder from a different line and her virgin queens mated with the selected drones those bees will be quite resistant to the mites. As the drone stock is gradually spread more widely, mating in the air will give more resistance in the overall bee population until eventually the wild stock will also become resistant, so in essence we will have reversed how the mites spread throughout NZ when they first arrived here.”

The above is is the beginning of an email I received today .   Maybe some of you have received it as well?   

There are several issues that are bought up in the whole email but I am still trying to get my head around the fact that they claim that  supposedly New Zealand’s varroa problems could be reversed in two seasons.   If that was the case then surely some other countries would have already tried to achieve that.   I love NZ and know we are special but we aren’t God. And what makes us think we can do something no other country has been able to do.?     

This letter that came out today is at least version 3 of letters  received from this same source over the last year.  The claim in the earlier versions was that these tolerant bees were part of a long lost population of 'Eastern Honey Bee' .  I feel bad that they are in such a desperate situation that they would turn to this, but it is a con, pure and simple.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Err, the proof is where ?

Iron clad proof, no. Despite that the bee genome has been mapped, all the individual genes involved in resistance have not been fully studied and understood yet. However the deduction has been made and is generally accepted, that the genes involved in varroa resistance are either recessive, or have to act in the correct combination of several of them, because of the way varroa resistance is lost so quickly in succeeding generations if queens are open mated.

Edited by Alastair
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, ReneeJones said:

I am from the company spreading this email..

have you imported any bees or bee genetics?

56 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Iron clad proof, no. Despite that the bee genome has been mapped, all the individual genes involved in resistance have not been fully studied and understood yet. However the deduction has been made and is generally accepted, that the genes involved in varroa resistance are either recessive, or have to act in the correct combination of several of them, because of the way varroa resistance is lost so quickly in succeeding generations if queens are open mated.

I agree, sort of, but it is true of most/all traits when you outcross into an unselected population. That's why when you are offered breeders from a program that has inbred it's way  to get useful expression of a single trait eg. VSH, run a mile.

• Good Info 1

Varriti, would  a catchy name for these Bees
Ive claimed Stapriti already

Edited by Philbee
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tommy dave said:

have you imported any bees or bee genetics?

Hi Tommy Dave. . We haven't for a very long time.. certain people are saying there will be inbreeding issues.. but in this case we selected the first lots from all our hives.. we originally had about 6 breeder worthy strains which years later into the process there is more of.. there are rarely signs of deformed wing or even no pms until late autumn /winter.. I don't even know what chalk brood and some of those others are I've never seen them. My grandad is much better at explaining than I am .. he was just trying to explain too much in the letter. . Thanks for taking the time to ask proper questions  :)

8 hours ago, David Yanke said:

I agree, sort of, but it is true of most/all traits when you outcross into an unselected population. That's why when you are offered breeders from a program that has inbred it's way  to get useful expression of a single trait eg. VSH, run a mile.

I can understand being skeptical. . And maybe even disbelief.. but both you and Alistair are right.. inbreeding would be breeding the same strain over n over.. this is not how we got the resistance to this level.. we did it how it suggests in the letter.. just explained more clearly would be better i guess

Thanks for showing interest

13 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Sorry I am not clear on what you want. Do you already have resistant bees or are you wanting financial help to develop them, as your givealittle page suggests? 

Hi Marky

The main email going out is sort of an awareness thing.. it is so that people know we have found this and have been trying to get it stronger so that not only our bees but others in new zealand can be helped aswell.. it does not work overnight. .

We already have the resistance the funding is so we can get things like frames foundation etc so we can build up further in spring and produce more queens.. 

We are still waiting to hear about a few various govt grants.

The give a little page was my idea for those on my Facebook who wanted to donate a little for the cause... I posted that here because it has photos it wouldn't let me upload on here

Thanks

I have answered the ones that seemed like serious enquiries and left the ones who seem to take the piss. . 

That's fine if you don't want to believe that there is resistance that's up to you.. I personally have worked on it so I know how good the bees are when most people have Thier hives dying out if they were to leave the strips out.. so far ours only need strips to help them through winter and some don't even need it then. . Yes it will take time to spread over NZ..

If you have questions I'm more than happy to try answer them as long as your not trying to be rude.. thanks everyone for the interest i hope each person looks at it carefully 

• Like 1

I for one would be keen on getting treatment free queens off you to trial if you had them for sale, but the fact that you are using strips indicates you are still a way off from that.

I think what you are aiming for is a worthy goal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks Marky 

Yes they will be for sale in spring aslong as we can get either a govt grant or funding from somewhere to build up in time for spring.. 

People have already tried them out and we have nothing but good reviews. My grandad Gary Jeffery is better at explaining than I am about the genetics and biology of it as he has a BSc and way more experience than I do.. that is the reason I put semi commercial. . Because we currently don't have the hive numbers to be calling it commercial. . But before Varroa he sold his queens all over NZ and the world.. so if able to produce the numbers we already have a good market ready.. 

In terms of the strips we have not needed them at all except when they start to cluster and we are using only one strip per hive cut in half.. I feel this is a huge improvement if people usually treat year round. The main issues are in the hives that bred with outside drones.. the ones that breed with our other drone stock are the ones that get stronger.. 

For enquiries and more information please email mountainbeech@slingshot.co.nz 

Thanks

Edited by ReneeJones
Spelling

15 minutes ago, ReneeJones said:

Thanks Marky 

Yes they will be for sale in spring aslong as we can get either a govt grant or funding from somewhere to build up in time for spring.. 

People have already tried them out and we have nothing but good reviews. My grandad Gary Jeffery is better at explaining than I am about the genetics and biology of it as he has a BSc and way more experience than I do.. that is the reason I put semi commercial. . Because we currently don't have the hive numbers to be calling it commercial. . But before Varroa he sold his queens all over NZ and the world.. so if able to produce the numbers we already have a good market ready.. 

In terms of the strips we have not needed them at all except when they start to cluster and we are using only one strip per hive cut in half.. I feel this is a huge improvement if people usually treat year round. The main issues are in the hives that bred with outside drones.. the ones that breed with our other drone stock are the ones that get stronger.. 

For enquiries and more information please email mountainbeech@slingshot.co.nz 

Thanks

‘One strip per hive , cut in half ‘ of what ?

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

Given this knowledge of the genes does science currently have the capability  and ability under NZ legislation to manipulate the genome to bring out the recessiveness ?

I know the science to engineer pine trees that won't produce unwanted seeds exists but is prohibited here .