Boot

Protecting Manuka - Purity, Quality, Authenticity

51 minutes ago, Alastair said:

OK, be interested to see your design in due course.

This is not intended to be some sort of commercial manufacturing venture but rather my response to a changing commercial environment.

Cut costs and proactively embrace innovation when and where you can or you will not survive in the future primary industry world

I will still be interested to see it. ;)

12 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

you know you're an interesting guy and I have followed your ideas,  though think highly of one self and said opinions.  Your response to my thoughts suggests that I am some square thinker.  

Plenty of times I have tried a more difficult way/path.  They don't always work and tend tie up emotional and physical energy- I can see why many follow the path well tread- but I don't believe them to be dumb.  They just know how to spend time/money wisely.  And are ready to address issues as they arise. 

Try seeing things from a few more angles. 

Imagine driving those early cars on roads designed for horses

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Imagine driving those early cars on roads designed for horses

probably not too bad because the horses would have been pulling coaches so the roads would have been a bit more than just a track 

It was hell for a while because of all the thrown horseshoe nails. That's why photos of early cars show them kitted up with half a dozen spare tyres. 

Of course some Philbee type person devised magnets suspended under the front bumper to try & pick up the nails ahead of the tyres

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What Im getting at is the world changes and we adapt 

3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

What Im getting at is the world changes and we adapt 

Some of us are better at this than others. I'm having trouble with my back country getting filled up with flipping tourists.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Some of us are better at this than others. I'm having trouble with my back country getting filled up with flipping tourists.

How are they getting there.

Are they walking ?

26 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

How are they getting there.

Are they walking ?

Yes. Te Araroa goes right through the Richmonds and Red Hills. Hundreds of the blighters. Stuffed our back yard retreats. 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Yes. Te Araroa goes right through the Richmonds and Red Hills. Hundreds of the blighters. Stuffed our back yard retreats. 

Who's backyard retreats? You sounding like the truck wits who buy seafront properties and then want to stop people using beach in front of their property 

On 11/07/2018 at 8:27 PM, Adam Boot said:

Genuine New Zealand Manuka - Under siege from Australia, variable standards, a confused consumer and a reputation under threat.

The future value of this industry depends on our ability to defend and differentiate New Zealand Manuka from counterfeit copies, adulteration and nock off. 

Re-afirming New Zealand Manuka and assuring pinnacle status is a priority. Defending the honesty and integrity of the New Zealand Manuka industry is paramount. Asserting a quality standard that instills trust is essential. 

I have raised this topic previously and promised I would outline measures we are taking to action the above. We are some way from detailing PURITI Manuka in full for obvious commercially sensitive reasons. The enhanced purity and quality testing standards will be revealed in detail closer the the September launch. 

What I can reveal at this point is that having gone to the effort of producing Manuka honey of this quality we then made the same effort to protect it. Visually PURITY is deliberately the antithesis of existing Manuka brands providing a distinction and avoiding consumer confusion. The Jar and lid are proprietary designs and exclusive to PURITI. It is cylindrical and smooth between lid and jar, with a thicker strengthened anti tamper break strip. 

The labels are larger than commonly used and seamlessly traverse the join between lid and jar. The label then has a tear/break strip at the join for additional consumer protection. The label contains enhanced complexity and security elements making counterfeit and copy that much harder. Hot stamp foil, Spot UV, High build UV, Soft touch paper stock and Invisible ink are just some of the security features incorporated. 

Combined, the Jar, lid and Label have at least 11 anti counterfeit and consumer security features. We want to ensure that whoever the customer, whatever nationality and wherever in the world, the purity, quality, integrity and authenticity of New Zealand Manuka is guaranteed.  Highest quality, best of the best every time. We do not have one standard for New Zealand an a higher standard for export. PURITI is a higher standard full stop. 

The attached picture shows just one security features of the label design. The highlighted text is invisible under normal light but glows under black light. 

fullsizeoutput_36e.jpeg

MPI Consultation:

I am sure many of you already know, but if not this may be of interest. The MPI released the consultation document yesterday for expanding the Manuka Honey Science Definition Testing.

Mānuka honey sold in New Zealand: is further regulation needed?

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-resources/consultations/manuka-honey-sold-in-new-zealand-is-further-regulation-needed/

MPI is considering whether and how to apply the mānuka honey science definition, currently used for exports, to mānuka honey sold in New Zealand.

Im not 100% happy with the standard, but if you going to have one it should apply to all the honey no matter what size container it is sold in or to whomever, even bulk drum sales and tourist outlets. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

True. The current situation is that manuka that does not meet export standards, maybe cos it's not really manuka or enough manuka, is then dumped into the NZ market, labelled as manuka.

Some of this is then snapped up by private entrepreneurial types who post it off to relatives with a shop in China or wherever, and substandard stuff is still being sold overseas.

Having said all that I know some folks will not be happy about domestic sales having to comply, because NZ is currently a useful back up dumping ground for product that did not meet export standard.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Who's backyard retreats? You sounding like the truck wits who buy seafront properties and then want to stop people using beach in front of their property 

If I want to have a day or two's worth of solitude, it's now full days walk away instead of half. And no you can't compare me to the wombles and their boatsheds in the sounds !

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alastair said:

True. The current situation is that manuka that does not meet export standards, maybe cos it's not really manuka or enough manuka, is then dumped into the NZ market, labelled as manuka.

Some of this is then snapped up by private entrepreneurial types who post it off to relatives with a shop in China or wherever, and substandard stuff is still being sold overseas.

Having said all that I know some folks will not be happy about domestic sales having to comply, because NZ is currently a useful back up dumping ground for product that did not meet export standard.

Very well said. 

Hmmm  Its a pity this debate couldn't be held behind closed doors because there is a lot that could be said that cannot be said here.
In my view Adam has some very good theoretical points but there is also a world of reality that he is overlooking out of self interest IMO

This isnt to say that his points arnt valid but in a closed door robust debate he may get a message he doesn't want to hear.
This public debate is not a level pitch 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yesbut said:

If I want to have a day or two's worth of solitude, it's now full days walk away instead of half. And no you can't compare me to the wombles and their boatsheds in the sounds !

Isn't the walk part of the solitude? 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Isn't the walk part of the solitude? 

Yes of course. As long as there are no leki wielding long panted loud talking skyscraper tinkling pack bearing foreigners. 

6 hours ago, yesbut said:

Plenty of solitude here in 10mins walk , or less .

11 hours ago, yesbut said:

I'm having trouble with my back country getting filled up with flipping tourists

Not just your back yard, I think this is an issue that needs a lot more attention than it is getting.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Hmmm  Its a pity this debate couldn't be held behind closed doors because there is a lot that could be said that cannot be said here.
In my view Adam has some very good theoretical points but there is also a world of reality that he is overlooking out of self interest IMO

This isnt to say that his points arnt valid but in a closed door robust debate he may get a message he doesn't want to hear.
This public debate is not a level pitch 

What are you saying really? That the heavies in the industry might put the heavies on him?? Money being at stake of course, might is right?

1 minute ago, Ali said:

What are you saying really? That the heavies in the industry might put the heavies on him?? Money being at stake of course, might is right?

Not at all, again this is not the place to lay the issue bare but there is always two or more sides to an issue like this

• Like 1

Surely there is. 

10 hours ago, Ali said:

Surely not in New Zealand?

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Not at all, again this is not the place to lay the issue bare but there is always two or more sides to an issue like this

There are multiple sides to the argument and I am definitely all ears. The point I am trying to make is that the pressure coming on the industry to shape up and improve  or impose standards is not coming from home but Internationally from regions we need to trade with. The Government/MPI is only responding to this pressure. The current Manuka Honey Science Definition came into effect because the industry could not collectively agree and come up with a standard. The problem I have with the behind closed doors approach is that often self interest is the key driver of the stakeholders involved. 

We have to realise that it is not what we might think or believe that matters. It is the expectations of the global trading community that matters. If we do not make and adhere to accepted rules then it will be our industry that suffers. 

Mucking around for years with no result and then leaving it to the Government to take another 3 years to create a standard is not the sort of action or timescale that cuts it internationally. 

• Agree 2