Boot

Protecting Manuka - Purity, Quality, Authenticity

3 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Ummm because it’s a beekeeping forum ?

should I only read threads that have relevance to me ?

if that’s the case then I shouldn’t be reading about Carnies, trucks, lifters, formic acid, small cell, extraction shed setups and any number of other topics.

So call it XYZ on the forum. 

I only see you talking about your product.

On the one hand you talk about concerns around testing and pricing and on the other you talk about introducing more testing you can’t have it both ways.

In my opinion you are here to get people talking about your product I don’t see any other threads here with people promoting their  products as much as you. 

Not just promoting but basically saying only your product is the real deal .

Love your warmth and passion. I think XYZ could take off. Why can't you have it both ways? Why can't better testing mean better price? Why can't better quality mean increased sales and demand? Why can't improved standards and raising the bar be of benefit to the NZ Honey industry. Why is trying to differentiate NZ Manuka as a global premium bad? Anyone can do what XZZ is doing if they want to lift their game. Great we should all do it. I am all for a level playing field but one at a higher altitude. 

Adam

I think you will find the comments on the forum around testing is in regards to the amount of money beekeepers are having to spend on it not wanting even more.

I’m interested in your marketing spin of saying that XYZ views the govt standards as the bare minimum, you demand far higher purity levels so you 

Voluntarily test for contaminants that in the interest of honesty we believe to be important to the consumer but are not at this stage a legal requirement.

What contaminants do you test for ?

Edited by frazzledfozzle

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I think you will find the comments on the forum around testing is in regards to the amount of money beekeepers are having to spend on it not wanting even more.

I’m interested in your marketing spin of saying that XYZ views the govt standards as the bare minimum, you demand far higher purity levels so you 

What contaminants do you test for ?

Testing criteria for XYZ brand will be clarified closer to launch. At the moment and for the next couple of weeks it remains commercially sensitive. 

8 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

It is not mandatory for bulk shipped Manuka.

Hello Mr Boot. 

Is your honey packed in Australia?  asking as the "company" is over there also- and noted what you said about above- 

Will the honey be displayed in shops with UV light as well?  So it shows the invisible message.

I bet your marketing is/has cost a fortune so far, labeling, special jars and all those jar size options.  And range of honey available.  

Plus, having to procure all that honey for packing and store.  And the rest. 

Any people/company prepared to put this much effort and resource into a new product line, I say -go well and all the best! 

3 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Testing criteria for XYZ brand will be clarified closer to launch. At the moment and for the next couple of weeks it remains commercially sensitive. 

Great I look forward to hearing all about it then.

All this talk about activity and manuka, I couldn't give a hoot as a customer if it was manuka or not, as long as it was active.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Hello Mr Boot. 

Is your honey packed in Australia?  asking as the "company" is over there also- and noted what you said about above- 

Will the honey be displayed in shops with UV light as well?  So it shows the invisible message.

I bet your marketing is/has cost a fortune so far, labeling, special jars and all those jar size options.  And range of honey available.  

Plus, having to procure all that honey for packing and store.  And the rest. 

Any people/company prepared to put this much effort and resource into a new product line, I say -go well and all the best! 

Thank you

As far as I am concerned Genuine Manuka is a New Zealand honey and can only come from New Zealand. It is a Maori word and the name given to the indigenous plant Leptospermum Scoparium. Further I also believe that the genuine article must be harvested, tested, certified and packed in NZ and at least comply to the highest legislative standard determined by NZ MPI

PURITI adopts this philosophy and more.  

Australia harvest honey from a plant that was commonly called jelly bush until very recently. The name was changed for obvious commercial reasons and nothing else. We should not fool ourselves. For NZ to remain on top in this market we have to show a willingness to excel and rise above.

Hand held UV lighting will be provided to retail staff so that features can be shown to consumers when purchasing. Obviously there is a significant cost to any project of this nature. You can't change the game and raise the bar by sticking to the status quo. 

15 hours ago, yesbut said:

All this talk about activity and manuka, I couldn't give a hoot as a customer if it was manuka or not, as long as it was active.

Good for you.

Shhhhsh ..... here we all are moaning about low honey prices and along comes a man who has a different spin on marketing and may well have the charisma to lift us out of the doldrums, and what happens ..... he gets kicked in the guts and told to p off. Talk about whingeing poms ....

• Like 1

getting facebook ads telling me how i can win a jar of puriti honey..

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

The price was a eye opener

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tommy dave said:

how do we win ?

On 18/07/2018 at 4:07 AM, glynn said:

The price was a eye opener

I am interested to understand why? The journey from hive to retailer to consumer is a long, complicated and expensive. If I can help fill in the gaps for you I will. 

Cheers 

Adam

3 hours ago, glynn said:

$560 per kg in the pot

Holy rich cow. Talk about adding a premium- sure many hands grab a bit on the way, still though...  I guess demand dictates..  I wonder how well the Black Label sold?  

4 hours ago, glynn said:

$560 per kg in the pot from the price offed to bee keepers. How many times does it go round the world it must be a extremely long journey. 

Do you think anyone would pay that ?

Check out the prices at a airport. So if people will pay this much is it a problem my question is how about the lads and lasses working the bees 

Edited by glynn
Fat fingers
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think anyone would pay that ?

not if they had just stopped at @jamesc pop up shop to stock up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can see @jamesc hanging round the road to the airport trench coat on full off honey

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, glynn said:

I can see @jamesc hanging round the road to the airport trench coat on full off honey

cheap cheap ...... probably get arrested for vagrancy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

cheap cheap ...... probably get arrested for vagrancy.

Or indecent exposure :( 

• Haha 4

I want to see @jamesc wrapped up in 45 ton of honey and wrapped up in a greatcoat.  

Some might say buried in 45 T of honey but I would never say that.  LOL

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 1

I think I'll get him to sell my remaining 20 jars of willow while he's at it. I must say it's amazing how many people who sample the stuff seem to want to take a jar home.

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I must say it's amazing how many people who sample the stuff seem to want to take a jar home.

Yep.  No accounting for taste

21 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Holy rich cow. Talk about adding a premium- sure many hands grab a bit on the way, still though...  I guess demand dictates..  I wonder how well the Black Label sold?  

A number of factors determine price composition and position including GST and Retailer margins. Currently the market leading and possibly most well known brand prices this same graded item at $179.95 per 250g.

PURITI is tested to higher standards than the MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition and then uses superior packaging, anti tamper and and counterfeit consumer protection. Every jar details the testing criteria openly and honestly to the consumer. To address the high pricing that can deter some to try product, PURITI have also added additional jar sizes of 120g and 340g with alternative price entry points. This allows consumers to try before committing to larger jar sizes.

Effectively we are delivering superior product, superior choice and not exceeding current market price expectation. 

Another fair measure would be to extrapolate further and ask the following question: Will a brand currently retailing a product at $179.95, adopt and invest in the same increased testing criteria and invest in improved packaging and security features and then expect to increase or decrease their price to the consumer? 

It is important to compare apples with apples not all Manuka can be PURITI so is there price fair as a comparison to current market pricing?