Boot

Protecting Manuka - Purity, Quality, Authenticity

Genuine New Zealand Manuka - Under siege from Australia, variable standards, a confused consumer and a reputation under threat.

The future value of this industry depends on our ability to defend and differentiate New Zealand Manuka from counterfeit copies, adulteration and nock off. 

Re-afirming New Zealand Manuka and assuring pinnacle status is a priority. Defending the honesty and integrity of the New Zealand Manuka industry is paramount. Asserting a quality standard that instills trust is essential. 

I have raised this topic previously and promised I would outline measures we are taking to action the above. We are some way from detailing PURITI Manuka in full for obvious commercially sensitive reasons. The enhanced purity and quality testing standards will be revealed in detail closer the the September launch. 

What I can reveal at this point is that having gone to the effort of producing Manuka honey of this quality we then made the same effort to protect it. Visually PURITY is deliberately the antithesis of existing Manuka brands providing a distinction and avoiding consumer confusion. The Jar and lid are proprietary designs and exclusive to PURITI. It is cylindrical and smooth between lid and jar, with a thicker strengthened anti tamper break strip. 

The labels are larger than commonly used and seamlessly traverse the join between lid and jar. The label then has a tear/break strip at the join for additional consumer protection. The label contains enhanced complexity and security elements making counterfeit and copy that much harder. Hot stamp foil, Spot UV, High build UV, Soft touch paper stock and Invisible ink are just some of the security features incorporated. 

Combined, the Jar, lid and Label have at least 11 anti counterfeit and consumer security features. We want to ensure that whoever the customer, whatever nationality and wherever in the world, the purity, quality, integrity and authenticity of New Zealand Manuka is guaranteed.  Highest quality, best of the best every time. We do not have one standard for New Zealand an a higher standard for export. PURITI is a higher standard full stop. 

The attached picture shows just one security features of the label design. The highlighted text is invisible under normal light but glows under black light. 

fullsizeoutput_36e.jpeg

So the ‘only trust Puriti’ is that invisible ?

Edited by M4tt

4 minutes ago, M4tt said:

The issue I have with ‘only trust Puriti’ is that it insinuates that anything else is inferior, which is not that helpful or fair IMO.

While I agree in principal with your broad ideas, perhaps appearing to clamber to the top over the others , I disagree with 

You really want a catch phrase that ooozes positivity rather than a statement that creates doubt 

And to add, the extra features on the label look pricey? 

All just constructive criticism ??

Good costructive criticism, thanks you. Please note that the wording is invisible unless you check under black light. Additionally the phrasing or phrases will alter from time to time providing additional security. 

6 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Just what I thought Matt.

8 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Absolutely

1 minute ago, Adam Boot said:

Good costructive criticism, thanks you. Please note that the wording is invisible unless you check under black light. Additionally the phrasing or phrases will alter from time to time providing additional security. 

Oh yep cool.

My apologies , I replied then actually understood what you’d said , and edited it. 

Interesting , although how difficult is it to counterfeit the label ?

I appreciate you are attempting to protect your product 

Just now, M4tt said:

Oh yep cool.

My apologies , I replied then actually understood what you’d said , and edited it. 

Realistically all you can do is make counterfeiting harder and more expensive so less worthwhile. By increasing the uniqueness and complexity of jar lid and label, the combined sum total is harder to duplicate and probably not worth the cost when the counterfeiter can just move on to another brand with  with easier generic jar and generic simple label. 

• Thanks 1

Im interested to see their pricing because going forward the market will be split into 2 types

one small but affluent and the other contains the rest.
The "rest" is where the volume is and the affluent market is small and possibly going to get smaller.
I know where Id rather be, thats supplying the larger group with affordable Honey that some of which may command a premium price due to it's legal compliance with the Manuka Honey definition.
Brings me back to the Johnny Walker red, black and blue label analogy.
Tricky anti tamper devices are a dime a dozen. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Im interested to see their pricing because going forward the market will be split into 2 types

one small but affluent and the other contains the rest.
The "rest" is where the volume is and the affluent market is small and possibly going to get smaller.
I know where Id rather be, thats supplying the larger group with affordable Honey that some of which may command a premium price due to it's legal compliance with the Manuka Honey definition.
Brings me back to the Johnny Walker red, black and blue label analogy.
Tricky anti tamper devices are a dime a dozen. 

Though I do not entirely agree with your assumption, we have been keen to address this possibility with the PURITI brand. Not only is the range comprehensive 5, 8,10, 12, 15,18, 20+ as standard and 22 to 28+ limited to availability. We have also increased the number of Jar sizes 120g, 250g, 340g and 500g. The combination provides for a greater number of price point options for the consumer to test, try and experiment. PURITI has a price position similar to the current largest brands where there is a comparable grade and jar size. 

The objective is to be better not exclusive. 

18 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yep.  A thread full of nothing so far.

As a non Manuka producing beekeeper I couldn’t care less about Puriti/ purity/ invisible ink/ floating girls or whatever else he wants to put on his label. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The thread must have some interest because you keep popping up !

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, yesbut said:

The thread must have some interest because you keep popping up !

No real interest I just have my knickers in a twist 

• Haha 3

Adam, Are you still using pollen analysis to  claim it is manuka because we are sill governed by the authorities to claim it as manuka.Anything less than 70% is a manuka b lend.i hope you are putting that on your label or you could be facing the consumers commision.

15 hours ago, M4tt said:

Oh yep cool.

I actually liked your original comment @M4tt and I agreed with it.

16 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Genuine New Zealand Manuka - Under siege from Australia, variable standards, a confused consumer and a reputation under threat.

The future value of this industry depends on our ability to defend and differentiate New Zealand Manuka from counterfeit copies, adulteration and nock off. 

Re-afirming New Zealand Manuka and assuring pinnacle status is a priority. Defending the honesty and integrity of the New Zealand Manuka industry is paramount. Asserting a quality standard that instills trust is essential. 

I have raised this topic previously and promised I would outline measures we are taking to action the above. We are some way from detailing PURITI Manuka in full for obvious commercially sensitive reasons. The enhanced purity and quality testing standards will be revealed in detail closer the the September launch. 

What I can reveal at this point is that having gone to the effort of producing Manuka honey of this quality we then made the same effort to protect it. Visually PURITY is deliberately the antithesis of existing Manuka brands providing a distinction and avoiding consumer confusion. The Jar and lid are proprietary designs and exclusive to PURITI. It is cylindrical and smooth between lid and jar, with a thicker strengthened anti tamper break strip. 

The labels are larger than commonly used and seamlessly traverse the join between lid and jar. The label then has a tear/break strip at the join for additional consumer protection. The label contains enhanced complexity and security elements making counterfeit and copy that much harder. Hot stamp foil, Spot UV, High build UV, Soft touch paper stock and Invisible ink are just some of the security features incorporated. 

Combined, the Jar, lid and Label have at least 11 anti counterfeit and consumer security features. We want to ensure that whoever the customer, whatever nationality and wherever in the world, the purity, quality, integrity and authenticity of New Zealand Manuka is guaranteed.  Highest quality, best of the best every time. We do not have one standard for New Zealand an a higher standard for export. PURITI is a higher standard full stop. 

The attached picture shows just one security features of the label design. The highlighted text is invisible under normal light but glows under black light. 

fullsizeoutput_36e.jpeg

Invisible or not..

Only trust puriti 

???? riiiiiiight.

That immediately gets my back up.

I think having all the tamper seals in the world still doesn’t really make your product any safer, the consumer still has to just take your word for it, it just means your jar is expensive to package and really annoying to open.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

While well done spending your money on latest technology I am very confused. Weather we like it or not the current law of the land is the MPI 5 step manuka standard, yet you are pushing only " activity " as your Manuka Purity marker. I am sure you have read the MPI document, but they describe at length why activity is not a true marker of Manuka.

This is not a thread about is MPI correct or not, but how you and other packers seem to be only buying "Manuka" on activity, and pretending the 5 step process is not important. In the mean time everyone is spending a fortune on Manuka 5 step testing. That is the main reason market is sluggish. If you have constructive advice feel free to tell us what test actually acheives something when you buy Manuka and how we know we are selling "Purity type Manuka " honey to you or any other packer

@Adam Boot are you interested in selling honey as a food or is your company purely interested in honey as a health product .

1 hour ago, Daley said:

I actually liked your original comment @M4tt and I agreed with it.

Invisible or not..

Only trust puriti 

???? riiiiiiight.

That immediately gets my back up.

I think having all the tamper seals in the world still doesn’t really make your product any safer, the consumer still has to just take your word for it, it just means your jar is expensive to package and really annoying to open.

Love your comments but you make some big assumptions - Is it expensive or is it cost effective? Do you really think all this effort would be put into design and we would come up with something annoying to open? Yes the consumer has to take our word and that of the retailer. At least we made the effort. The retailer and the consumer will see that effort and thought have gone into reducing the counterfeit risk. 

40 minutes ago, Bushy said:

While well done spending your money on latest technology I am very confused. Weather we like it or not the current law of the land is the MPI 5 step manuka standard, yet you are pushing only " activity " as your Manuka Purity marker. I am sure you have read the MPI document, but they describe at length why activity is not a true marker of Manuka.

This is not a thread about is MPI correct or not, but how you and other packers seem to be only buying "Manuka" on activity, and pretending the 5 step process is not important. In the mean time everyone is spending a fortune on Manuka 5 step testing. That is the main reason market is sluggish. If you have constructive advice feel free to tell us what test actually acheives something when you buy Manuka and how we know we are selling "Purity type Manuka " honey to you or any other packer

Great question and I apologies for any confusion I may have caused with an earlier response when I listed activities. That response was trying to answer a specific question. MPI rules are paramount, like it or not. The MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition, supersedes everything else and determines whether the word Manuka can be on the label. The activity grading comes second as is not legally a determining indicator of purity. Activity is part of the mix but the 5 tests must be passed first. 

Remember the market is currently split. The MPI 5 Test is only compulsory for Manuka packed for export. It is not mandatory for Manuka sold on the domestic NZ market. It is not mandatory for bulk shipped Manuka. PURITI focus on the five steps first and then add more testing. If you produce Manuka that meets the MPI test then that is the first step to saleable Manuka. If the honey you produce cannot be exported as a finished product then obviously your market has become restricted. 

Feel free to contact me directly via linked in and I am more than happy to discuss in detail any time. 

Cheers 

Adam

33 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Adam Boot are you interested in selling honey as a food or is your company purely interested in honey as a health product .

I would like think honey is for is for everyone as a food or otherwise. If we are talking Manuka specifically then we have to be realistic with its use. Genuine NZ Manuka is produced in very small quantities compared to the global consumption of honey. Scarcity and rarity determine availability and real or perceived properties increase this factor and determine and influence price.  

Maybe Manuka should be looked at as a wellness food or superfood, with reason for consumption being a personal choice. Price will determine whether it can be liberally spread on toast. 

Adam

30 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Great question and I apologies for any confusion I may have caused with an earlier response when I listed activities. That response was trying to answer a specific question. MPI rules are paramount, like it or not. The MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition, supersedes everything else and determines whether the word Manuka can be on the label. The activity grading comes second as is not legally a determining indicator of purity. Activity is part of the mix but the 5 tests must be passed first. 

Remember the market is currently split. The MPI 5 Test is only compulsory for Manuka packed for export. It is not mandatory for Manuka sold on the domestic NZ market. It is not mandatory for bulk shipped Manuka. PURITI focus on the five steps first and then add more testing. If you produce Manuka that meets the MPI test then that is the first step to saleable Manuka. If the honey you produce cannot be exported as a finished product then obviously your market has become restricted. 

Feel free to contact me directly via linked in and I am more than happy to discuss in detail any time. 

Cheers 

Adam

Thanks Adam for spending the time on this answer. It actually helps a lot. Good luck with your product

13 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

More free advertising for this brand.

Seriously! - What part of the PURITI target demographic visits and contributes to an industry specific forum about beekeeping? Forget the brand, call it XYZ for all I care in this scenario. I believe this forum is for the discussion of the industry, changes, opportunities, threats and all other matters influencing of effecting commercial beekeeping?

If I am wrong and you have a constructive comment then please let me know. 

I am trying to raise some discussion and awareness around threats and opportunities and possible actions in the Manuka industry. There is enough concerned comment over testing and pricing to see that the industry does matter to some. 

This industry and the wider NZ honey industry has huge global potential. We have only scraped the surface of opportunity. It will not just fall in our laps though. We do actually have to build it and define it and fight to create growth and ad value. 

Adam

• Like 1

13 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

As a non Manuka producing beekeeper I couldn’t care less about Puriti/ purity/ invisible ink/ floating girls or whatever else he wants to put on his label. 

So why read the thread?

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

So why read the thread?

Ummm because it’s a beekeeping forum ?

should I only read threads that have relevance to me ?

if that’s the case then I shouldn’t be reading about Carnies, trucks, lifters, formic acid, small cell, extraction shed setups and any number of other topics.

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

believe this forum is for the discussion of the industry, changes, opportunities, threats and all other matters influencing of effecting commercial beekeeping?

I am trying to raise some discussion and awareness around threats and opportunities and possible actions in the Manuka industry. There is enough concerned comment over testing and pricing to see that the industry does matter to some. 

So call it XYZ on the forum. 

I only see you talking about your product.

On the one hand you talk about concerns around testing and pricing and on the other you talk about introducing more testing you can’t have it both ways.

In my opinion you are here to get people talking about your product I don’t see any other threads here with people promoting their  products as much as you. 

Not just promoting but basically saying only your product is the real deal .

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1