• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I got my thinking hat on tonite while Dr Speight and I have a little chat about honey. 45 tonnes of honey is 45000kg which is 90,000 500gm pots. That's not a lot of honey to dump into Christc

Cheque book ? What century is it up that valley ?

had a local beek short on money ask me what to do about the few boxes of honey on his hives, i suggested that he leave it on for winter feed to save a sugar bill as he can always find work until seaso

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I thought the willow dew honey was no good for bees to eat .

Depends on the melezitose content. Ive seen Bees starve and dwindle on it down Te Kuiti, but in the waikato it seems not too bad.

I think this comes down to the differing willow varieties with crack being predominant south of here with the hort and weeping around here   

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Daley said:

Leave it on as bee feed

This just compounds the issue next year. I don't need to leave much for winter, they bring stuff in all the time.  I think I'll be discarding lots.

17 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes you are right it just makes my blood boil that someone who has worked so hard to get a crop of honey would be offered $3.50 .

@frazzledfozzle  Remember all those posts you've made saying that you wish we could go back to the old days, get paid $3/kg and be happy...?

$3.50 is a bit more than the average world price. Many international beekeepers would accept that. 

Aren't you glad now that Manuka happened? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Rob's BP said:

@frazzledfozzle  Remember all those posts you've made saying that you wish we could go back to the old days, get paid $3/kg and be happy.

Aren't you glad now that Manuka happened? 

Um nope I don’t ever remember saying I would go back to $3.50 honey but if you can point out a post I’ve made that says that I would be interested In seeing it.

manuka honey has made a lot of people a lot of money us included. 

Ive always been thankful for the money Manuka has brought us not so much the other things that come with it.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
On 12/07/2018 at 12:13 AM, kaihoka said:

We're they both the same sort of honey .

Do buyers care that different honeys taste different . 

Or is there just Manuka and everything else .

Definitely the taste of other hone's is extremely important. Marketing and educating the consumer towards other NZ honey is a long, continuous and costly excessive. It is a long term strategy and I believe we can leverage the recognition NZ Manuka already has to the benefit of other honey types. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Daley said:

Leave it on as bee feed

had a local beek short on money ask me what to do about the few boxes of honey on his hives, i suggested that he leave it on for winter feed to save a sugar bill as he can always find work until season starts again, he took it of and now cant sell it as it has very high sugar count. he now got no feed on hives and honey he cant sell and no money. "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

had a local beek short on money ask me what to do about the few boxes of honey on his hives, i suggested that he leave it on for winter feed to save a sugar bill as he can always find work until season starts again, he took it of and now cant sell it as it has very high sugar count. he now got no feed on hives and honey he cant sell and no money. "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink".

So has he extracted the honey .

If it was in boxes on frames and he knew which hive it was from he could put it back .

If NZ had no AFB could extracted unsold honey be fed back to hives .

Or there other reasons not to do that.? 

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Cripes. There was sticky muck raining down out of our willows a fortnight after Xmas.

At least I get to the end of January. I have about 10 boxes jamed full of the grainy, unextracable unpleasant tasting mess that is willow dew honey.  The bees might get thru some. The rest I will scrape off including the wax and bury in the garden as compost,  the rats love to tunnel in and eat up large so I will box it in with chicken wire.  If I have any spare time I will go down to the swamp and kill off some of the crack willows to try and lighten the load for next year. 

On 14/07/2018 at 7:04 PM, Adam O'Sullivan said:

It's sad that it's not the norm for honey outfits to pack and sell their own honey directly to the public.

we pack, sell and market ours,

just the other day turned down an offer of $12.50, started to think of all the long hot days i had sweat running in my eyes, then home to extact till, 9.30-11.00 pm some nights, then back into it the next day, 12.50 nar

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
12 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

we pack, sell and market ours,

just the other day turned down an offer of $12.50, started to think of all the long hot days i had sweat running in my eyes, then home to extact till, 9.30-11.00 pm some nights, then back into it the next day, 12.50 nar

I wonder how much honey is out there sitting in sheds waiting for a good price.

People need to start eating more honey .

Someone needs to start a " Honey is the new super food ." Campaign.

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

I wonder how much honey is out there sitting in sheds waiting for a good price.

People need to start eating more honey .

Someone needs to start a " Honey is the new super food ." Campaign.

our local super value is not helping, honey has gone from the top 3 shelf's to the bottom 3 they don't seem to be interested in honey,

the other day i heard of a north island super market only stocking there honey ( manuka) with empty jars, the full ones would walk out the door,

• Sad 1