jamesc

Honey prices No. 3

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

What does everyone do with it ?

Leave it on as bee feed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daley said:

Leave it on as bee feed

I thought the willow dew honey was no good for bees to eat .

29 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Depends on the melezitose content. Ive seen Bees starve and dwindle on it down Te Kuiti, but in the waikato it seems not too bad.

I think this comes down to the differing willow varieties with crack being predominant south of here with the hort and weeping around here   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

As long as your aware of that it’s ok, you just have to leave more on

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Daley said:

Leave it on as bee feed

This just compounds the issue next year. I don't need to leave much for winter, they bring stuff in all the time.  I think I'll be discarding lots.

17 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes you are right it just makes my blood boil that someone who has worked so hard to get a crop of honey would be offered $3.50 .

@frazzledfozzle  Remember all those posts you've made saying that you wish we could go back to the old days, get paid $3/kg and be happy...?

$3.50 is a bit more than the average world price. Many international beekeepers would accept that. 

Aren't you glad now that Manuka happened? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rob's BP said:

@frazzledfozzle  Remember all those posts you've made saying that you wish we could go back to the old days, get paid $3/kg and be happy.

Um nope I don’t ever remember saying I would go back to $3.50 honey but if you can point out a post I’ve made that says that I would be interested In seeing it.

manuka honey has made a lot of people a lot of money us included. 

Ive always been thankful for the money Manuka has brought us not so much the other things that come with it.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

On 12/07/2018 at 12:13 AM, kaihoka said:

We're they both the same sort of honey .

Do buyers care that different honeys taste different . 

Or is there just Manuka and everything else .

Definitely the taste of other hone's is extremely important. Marketing and educating the consumer towards other NZ honey is a long, continuous and costly excessive. It is a long term strategy and I believe we can leverage the recognition NZ Manuka already has to the benefit of other honey types. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Daley said:

Leave it on as bee feed

had a local beek short on money ask me what to do about the few boxes of honey on his hives, i suggested that he leave it on for winter feed to save a sugar bill as he can always find work until season starts again, he took it of and now cant sell it as it has very high sugar count. he now got no feed on hives and honey he cant sell and no money. "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 3

It's sad that it's not the norm for honey outfits to pack and sell their own honey directly to the public.

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

had a local beek short on money ask me what to do about the few boxes of honey on his hives, i suggested that he leave it on for winter feed to save a sugar bill as he can always find work until season starts again, he took it of and now cant sell it as it has very high sugar count. he now got no feed on hives and honey he cant sell and no money. "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink".

So has he extracted the honey .

If it was in boxes on frames and he knew which hive it was from he could put it back .

If NZ had no AFB could extracted unsold honey be fed back to hives .

Or there other reasons not to do that.? 

22 minutes ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

It's sad that it's not the norm for honey outfits to pack and sell their own honey directly to the public.

Theres a lot more doing it now

• Good Info 1

7 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Theres a lot more doing it now

Gotta get rid of the  willow rubbish somehow

51 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Gotta get rid of the  willow rubbish somehow

I imagine most beekeepers will have done their main harvest before the willow dew started to happen 

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
spelling
  • Agree 1

Cripes. There was sticky muck raining down out of our willows a fortnight after Xmas.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Cripes. There was sticky muck raining down out of our willows a fortnight after Xmas.

At least I get to the end of January. I have about 10 boxes jamed full of the grainy, unextracable unpleasant tasting mess that is willow dew honey.  The bees might get thru some. The rest I will scrape off including the wax and bury in the garden as compost,  the rats love to tunnel in and eat up large so I will box it in with chicken wire.  If I have any spare time I will go down to the swamp and kill off some of the crack willows to try and lighten the load for next year. 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

But were the bees working it ?

10 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

But were the bees working it ?

Someones were, there are a hundred hives around me.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1

On 14/07/2018 at 7:04 PM, Adam O'Sullivan said:

we pack, sell and market ours,

just the other day turned down an offer of $12.50, started to think of all the long hot days i had sweat running in my eyes, then home to extact till, 9.30-11.00 pm some nights, then back into it the next day, 12.50 nar

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

we pack, sell and market ours,

just the other day turned down an offer of $12.50, started to think of all the long hot days i had sweat running in my eyes, then home to extact till, 9.30-11.00 pm some nights, then back into it the next day, 12.50 nar

I wonder how much honey is out there sitting in sheds waiting for a good price.

People need to start eating more honey .

Someone needs to start a " Honey is the new super food ." Campaign.

On 14/07/2018 at 1:11 PM, Rob's BP said:

@frazzledfozzle  Remember all those posts you've made saying that you wish we could go back to the old days, get paid $3/kg and be happy...?

$3.50 is a bit more than the average world price. Many international beekeepers would accept that. 

Why would anyone think that 3.50 being the world average for honey justifies an offer of that for good quality fully compliant NZ honey extracted in MPI approved facilities?

It is my opinion that such a claim is arrant nonsense and simply in the mode of talking down the price to the producer in the interests of a profit grab at their expense.

Smacks of the large dairy cooperative poor price to producers and massive record profit making. Same old build you up buttercup and then look out huh folks. Seems to be the new management model.

Buyers should remember that producers have long memories.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

I wonder how much honey is out there sitting in sheds waiting for a good price.

People need to start eating more honey .

Someone needs to start a " Honey is the new super food ." Campaign.

our local super value is not helping, honey has gone from the top 3 shelf's to the bottom 3 they don't seem to be interested in honey,

the other day i heard of a north island super market only stocking there honey ( manuka) with empty jars, the full ones would walk out the door,

• Sad 1

OK ....so I been on the phone for the last two days drumming up honey sales as with spring around the corner I'm gonna need some cash to buy fuel, sugar and wages, not to mention  food and beer. The common price seems to be $8.00/kg. I have 45 tonnes to sell. The common theme from all the packers/marketers is 'better to sell now because the price is heading south'. Methinks this is a plot ..... read between the lines and it goes like ...."sell now because the price is going up shortly and we , the packer, want to take advantage of the low prices." 

So I remember back to all the work and sweat, nights camping on the beach, phone calls from irate beekeepers, court case with DOC, not to mention money expended to gain a crop ...... 1400 hives at $250/ hive expenses  equals 350k expenses.  There is no future in selling honey at 8 bucks and the packers need to up their offer a little bit or in two years time I suspect there won't be  a lot of honey to buy because quite a lot of people will have moved on to something else, myself included. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

So, I got my thinking hat on tonite while Dr Speight and I have a little chat about honey.

45 tonnes of honey is 45000kg which is 90,000 500gm pots. That's not a lot of honey to dump into Christchurch ..... one in four people need to buy a pot off me at 10 bucks for 500gm, and that's cheap. An income of $900,000. Now we're talking. I don't mind sleeping in the truck for that. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Dr Speight

there your problem. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1