dansar

July 2018 Beekeeping Diary

There are a lot of daffodils already finished here in the Manawatu.  Strange old year already.

• Agree 2

My hive that forgot to store stores in the autumn and continued to produce heaps of brood, drone brood and a new supercedure Queen two weeks ago has died of starvation.

Clearly they got it wrong 

• Sad 3

Nice drive up the best island today not much snow about lots of wattle's and other trees flowering. 

All registered and signed in driving round Blenheim has not got betterIMG_20180721_114919.thumb.jpg.1af1ece0d143851983a09db7b3f320d8.jpg

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

My hive that forgot to store stores in the autumn and continued to produce heaps of brood, drone brood and a new supercedure Queen two weeks ago has died of starvation.

Clearly they got it wrong 

Funny.  I found one like that today.  The other 6 hives in the apiary are all gaining weight and have fresh nectar on board.  Darwinism at it's best.

• Agree 1

went through the two dunedin hives i retained. Clearly left too much honey for them. Pulling and extracting a box from one of them today - it's bringing in fresh nectar, brood going crazy and even raising a few drones. The other is proceeding at a more relaxed pace, but doesn't look as though it has had a brood break either, and has about broken even on stores over winter. Strange season. Even saw bees on a flowering manuka in a nearby garden yesterday...

• Like 3

couldn't play with the girls today so did the next best thing...wax work.

Molds from Lyson, very easy to use.

Candles.jpg

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

couldn't play with the girls today so did the next best thing...wax work.

Molds from Lyson, very easy to use.

Candles.jpg

Looks like the price of wax is gonna drop too as the market gets flooded with candles.

No chance of that from this quarter.

I have just taken possession of a foundation press, so I spent much more of the day making sheets of foundation of varying quality. By the time I use my minuscule stockpile I hope to be competent at making foundation, but best of all, self sufficient in wax.

• Like 6

Moved this hive to “the naughty spot” and haven’t  checked it for over 3 months.?

Yep, they’re OK?

5032DF6B-9EA6-4263-8E10-24F6FE7F71EF.thumb.jpeg.6a77254210112a9282d831a3c4517f26.jpeg

2BA453E7-4EEC-4800-989A-714CB52D0C7A.thumb.jpeg.523c834196fb4a9e37f9fbab9c3bad13.jpeg

8D555B61-33C3-46DF-AF25-672CCFAD4175.jpeg

F44988EA-C4A7-434A-8B43-B11C9B6C8453.jpeg

455345AD-8086-4D3A-889F-84FFE49333B3.jpeg

• Like 4

On 21/07/2018 at 3:22 PM, glynn said:

Nice drive up the best island today not much snow about lots of wattle's and other trees flowering. 

All registered and signed in driving round Blenheim has not got betterIMG_20180721_114919.thumb.jpg.1af1ece0d143851983a09db7b3f320d8.jpg

that looks more like Kaikoura,

• Agree 1

I expect swarming mid August in my burb and would rather like those (read as "the commercial") near me to sort out his bees as mine reduced to a small entrance to circumvent robbing but means they are dropping a bit of pollen, some propolis gathering went on today too. This hive has steadily gone on from no stores in May as interlopers were barred entry to doing OK. Sorted thru some stored gear and all set for some comb honey for Christmas presents may even give chunk honey a go. Anyone interested in visuals of the awesomeness of raw honey treating an absessed whitetail spider bite? All very scientific of couse for those who demand EBP cos I love the science stuff. Was so nice to hear that there's a rumour going around about stopping hive movement. Was a topic on late night radio talkshow with a lot of elder (read that as experienced) beekeepers having their say. All good stuff.

2 hours ago, dansar said:

Moved this hive to “the naughty spot” and haven’t  checked it for over 3 months.?

Yep, they’re OK?

5032DF6B-9EA6-4263-8E10-24F6FE7F71EF.thumb.jpeg.6a77254210112a9282d831a3c4517f26.jpeg

2BA453E7-4EEC-4800-989A-714CB52D0C7A.thumb.jpeg.523c834196fb4a9e37f9fbab9c3bad13.jpeg

8D555B61-33C3-46DF-AF25-672CCFAD4175.jpeg

F44988EA-C4A7-434A-8B43-B11C9B6C8453.jpeg

455345AD-8086-4D3A-889F-84FFE49333B3.jpeg

No competitors in sight ?

33 minutes ago, M4tt said:

No competitors in sight ?

Nope none for 10kms in 3 directions and  more than 100km in the other 

• Haha 1

Looking to freeze wax moth doings as swarm lure. Anyone got any going spare? There's always a plus even with over zealous competitors. Thinking of going grey to match my hair. Some nice darkies though quite happy with my little mongrels of unknown parentage but not sure what people actually like to run in this area as I seem to pick up the ones from commercials who park up near by. @Trevor Gillbanks what's the current favourite here? So I don't upset the locals or people trying to have a particular type here.

My queen that stopped laying 3 months ago now has capped brood.

My hives have had a lot more moisture under the top board than I have ever had before .

Nothing is different about hive or placement this winter ,but we have had 230 mls rain this July.

The ground is sodden and even though  hives are raised up I wonder if the bees are struggling to keep things dry in the constanth rain .

I have replaced damp top boxes with dry ones and added a top feeder to the hives to give them more protection .

For the first time my queens stopped laying.

50% of the colonies have capped brood while 25% just eggs and uncapped larvae and 25% no eggs or larvae. Most of them in small clusters.

I considered an OA fumigation however I start August with apivar.

All colonies look healthy and no losses so far. The new lids worked fine too.

Edited by Kiwi Bee
to add more info
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Jean MacDonald said:

@Trevor Gillbanks what's the current favourite here? So I don't upset the locals or people trying to have a particular type here.

I prefer my yellow queens, however, Black and Yellow are pretty common throughout Manawatu.

Choose whatever you want.

Not sure about the Mid August swarming that I saw you post elsewhere.  Palmy bees tend to swarm late Sept early Oct onwards.

7 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I prefer my yellow queens, however, Black and Yellow are pretty common throughout Manawatu.

Choose whatever you want.

Not sure about the Mid August swarming that I saw you post elsewhere.  Palmy bees tend to swarm late Sept early Oct onwards.

Oops meant to type September though did see scout or two last month mid to late June  (possibly a litte full of themselves from feeding but settled down with the cold snap) but for me I'll be getting out my swarm traps shortly. Found the one truly carnie hive I did have quite vocal about their likes and dislikes. Should be tee shirt weather at least one day in August but reckon they had definitely just started with the drone brood yesterday. Possible precoscious swarming. Been down Foxton a bit and noticed the fruit trees with no flowers while here started flowering last month.

• Like 1