Breeding black queens

On 12/07/2018 at 8:54 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

So how did you get on before the introduction of Carnies?

seems weird to me that people have problems with queens/ bees /going by the colour of them only since the introduction of Carnies .

lord knows how you all ran your hives pre carnie. 

10 points for original thinking @frazzledfozzle

how did you find something to say, that has not been said already in the everlasting yellow/grey dispute?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love that historical information David...didn't know Hastings was from Saskatchewan. And ironically Saskatchewan is also the birthplace of the new bee line now becoming popular...was able to try som

Hi Mark, It is hard with open matings. I struggle like you do with heaps of yellow mongrel drones haunting all the Drone Congregation areas in my mating area.  I am ok with the hybrid colonies that re

There is no real goals in mind. As I said I am impressed that on sunny days, even at a high of 9 degrees, we can see carniolans flying about.  They also seem very placid compared to italians.  Althoug

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/07/2018 at 2:53 AM, David Yanke said:

carnica are generally more wasp tolerant, at least I think so.... The reason they are not such a big problem in Germany is because they don't have Italians!  Kidding, the real reason is that they are an introduced species here with no pests and a favourable environment.  They evolved in Europe, and as @yesbut said they are a natural part of the ecosystem there, and they do have pests(like parasitic wasps) and diseases that help keep them in check.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Balling-behaviour-of-A-mellifera-in-simulated-V-velutina-attacks_fig5_262611580

9.jpg

9(1).jpg