Bighands

Testing for 1080 in Honey

I am trying to find a laboratory in N.Z. who test for 1080 in honey.I have tried Asure  Quality, Analytica, Hills,All do not have a test developed for testing of 1080 in honey.I have written to Landcare but no response yet.Maybe someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.

19 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I am trying to find a laboratory in N.Z. who test for 1080 in honey.

Feed some to the neighbours dog ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

image.thumb.png.0738e6a37b964cf818a59e8196cfc90f.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Have you tried @JohnF

Sorry Trevor, we cant do much for things that don't have DNA in them.

• Thanks 1

I know there is a lab that does it (as it has been an issue before) however you may need to contact plant and food directly for advice if you are concerned about it. I am fairly sure it would only be an issue if the poisen had been administered in Jam in the nearby area and DOC/farmers shold be happy to provide info about application.

On 27/06/2018 at 9:13 PM, yesbut said:

Feed some to the neighbours dog ?

My neighbors dog could be the test subject 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Daley said:

My neighbors dog could be the test subject 

Do they bark all the time ? 

yo .. my neighbours dogs would do as well.... little bit closer. Is there a problem with 1080 in honey ?

Edited by jamesc

3 hours ago, Kiwifruiter said:

I know there is a lab that does it (as it has been an issue before) however you may need to contact plant and food directly for advice if you are concerned about it. I am fairly sure it would only be an issue if the poisen had been administered in Jam in the nearby area and DOC/farmers shold be happy to provide info about application.

30% of the baits laid or dropped contain sugar,so any aerial application in Autumn or spring would be worrying to any beekeeper surely. i think ESR test for 1080 in honey.I should know next week.They tested my honey in 2000 as I was Biogro registered.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jamesc said:

yo .. my neighbours dogs would do as well.... little bit closer. Is there a problem with 1080 in honey ?

How do we know unless we test for it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Do they bark all the time ? 

Non stop, all hours, at nothing.

And it’s high pitched. Right outside my bedroom window.

Absolutely does my head in.

I had a good hormonal yell at the neighbor over the fence about it when I was heavily pregnant but obviously my threats to shut her dogs up for her permanently have worn off now. I find it incredibly inconsiderate to let your dog bark when you have neighbors.

Wouldn’t catch mine doing that.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

It was me that talked Landcare into doing this study.This was done in the middle of Winter.Now aerial drops happen all year round and if you believe these guys good luck to you.I heard last week that a drop was being planned for Mt Hikurangi Range.

They’re going to do an aerial drop on an off shore island here any day now. Used the health and safety excuse to go ahead without any public consultation. Scary stuff. 

45 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

excuse to go ahead without any public consultation.

Pointless exercise with opinions so polarised

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Daley said:

Non stop, all hours, at nothing.

And it’s high pitched. Right outside my bedroom window.

Absolutely does my head in.

I had a good hormonal yell at the neighbor over the fence about it when I was heavily pregnant but obviously my threats to shut her dogs up for her permanently have worn off now. I find it incredibly inconsiderate to let your dog bark when you have neighbors.

Been down that road .

There is no end to it which does not end in a hostile relationship with the neighbours.

It helps if you can get the council on your side .

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Daley said:

You might be surprised...

I'm in a group of 5 ten acre blocks surrounded by large farms, neighbour #1s inbred mongrel is silent until her car gets 100metres away and it then unleashes continuous barking upon our lives until her car returns to her gateway..hours later.  this woman complains to my neighbour #2 (works on the large farm) about his working dogs (7)  barking when he leaves in the tractor everyday.. 

we are in between these yipping  yapping bored out of there brain mutts. 

Who knows if our 5 are vocal while we are away.. we ain't there to know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

You might be surprised...

I'm in a group of 5 ten acre blocks surrounded by large farms, neighbour #1s inbred mongrel is silent until her car gets 100metres away and it then unleashes continuous barking upon our lives until her car returns to her gateway..hours later.  this woman complains to my neighbour #2 (works on the large farm) about his working dogs (7)  barking when he leaves in the tractor everyday.. 

we are in between these yipping  yapping bored out of there brain mutts. 

Who knows if our 5 are vocal while we are away.. we ain't there to know. 

Nah mine only bark at other dogs at the gate or undesirables. I’ve watched them on the game camera.

one of our neighbors use to have dogs, now they just have memories..

We had a standard sized Poodle once and it love chasing cars.

One afternoon while in my shed I heard a screech then a thud and thought, "thats the end of  that mutt"
Id wanted to put it down for a long time but the family wouldn't have a bar of it 

However the dog ran up the driveway apparently unharmed, closely followed by the local A.I lady.
She saw me and stopped, I could see see had a broken windscreen and was very angry.
Fuming she yelled, "your Bloody dog just ran out in front of me and when I tried to stop, my Foxy went through my windscreen"

Sympathetic I suggested she go and see the Lady up at the House.
Wasn't long after that the dog had an accident and despite my best attempt couldn't be saved.

• Haha 4

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Bighands said:

It was me that talked Landcare into doing this study.This was done in the middle of Winter.Now aerial drops happen all year round and if you believe these guys good luck to you.I heard last week that a drop was being planned for Mt Hikurangi Range.

I believe the monitoring as the data would be discoverable.

However, if done in the middle of winter, even a robust monitoring program might have limited value. Perhaps 1080 drops are mainly in winter when possum food is more scarce.

Did you suggest monitoring in summer? When do 1080 drops occur in your area?

I

49 minutes ago, BeeBob said:

However, if done in the middle of winter, even a robust monitoring program might have limited value. Perhaps 1080 drops are mainly in winter when possum food is more scarce.

I suggested that Landcare monitor or test their own beehives after or during the drop.Apparently most of their nucs died and they had to feed sugar to them to keep them alive.I am suggesting the drops still occur in Winter.Apparently there was a drop in Karamea in the middle of Summer the beekeeper was advised by the authorities but where do you move 450 hives to at such short notice.The 1080 drops occur when they feel like it.I will say that most occur in Winter.

58 minutes ago, BeeBob said:

1080 drops are normally in winter when the possums natural food source is limited.

That way they are more likely to quickly eat the bait before it degrades .