BSB

Conference- anyone going?

Ive seen you several times today @nikki watts..I was worming...will try to touch base tomorrow

18 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

Ive seen you several times today @nikki watts..I was worming...will try to touch base tomorrow

Oh. Please do 

20 hours ago, Desmo said:

Good chance of that. Hit them up for a bumper sticker while you're at it.

20180721_230527.jpg

If you see an antique Landy with the bottom sticker ... that’s us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Was it interesting enough  inside to stop you gazing out the window at the lovely sunny day .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Was it interesting enough  inside to stop you gazing out the window at the lovely sunny day .

Haha, no windows so no choice but concentrate. Earthquake woke me up a bit though. Not used to those were I live .

• Like 1

No was I could have got there

I doing 14 hour days now

18 minutes ago, Philbee said:

No was I could have got there

I doing 14 hour days now

what you working on for 14hr days

1 hour ago, glynn said:

So far I've put named to faces with @Desmo and @Mummzie still got a few to go but didn't have much time today

it would be easier if people used their real names and had photos if they wanted to chat on forums, so then we would all know who we chatting to, but I guess that would tone down some of the discussions.

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

what you working on for 14hr days

Staples

4 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Staples

Filling orders or building up stock ?

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Filling orders or building up stock ?

Im cleaned out of stock with 10000 more to do next week

60000 out the door so far counting the 25000 going on tues/wed

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

it would be easier if people used their real names and had photos if they wanted to chat on forums, so then we would all know who we chatting to, but I guess that would tone down some of the discussions.

God no .!!

Lots of us are far too old and frightening to have real photos of ourselves up there .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

It was good to catch up with Desmo. I did see Glynn, he may remember me as the usher who passed him the mike at the end of Sue Coby's talk.

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

I’ve just sewn my first three rolls of gib tape togeather if that’s any help .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

I’ve just sewn my first three rolls of gib tape togeather if that’s any help .

How long did it take you and were they 50 or 150m rolls

8 minutes ago, Philbee said:

How long did it take you and were they 50 or 150m rolls

I think 50’s and only a couple of minutes. I have a commercial walking foot Juki. 

• Like 1

Just now, nikki watts said:

walking foot Juki. 

My dream machine?

I just got a new high speed safety stitch machine, no bobbin and very quiet.

3x 150m rolls in 8mins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

For some people it no doubt would Dennis. I'll be the usher in the ASB theatre tomorrow morning. Far too ugly to put a mugshot up here though :ph34r:

For those with poor eyesight, sorry, couldn't find a vivid marker when I really needed one.

20180722_221212.jpg

• Like 3

Enough in each of the presentations that I saw to make the day worth doing. There were definitely a lot of people scribbling away at Sue Coby and the single vs double brood debate although most of that info was pretty obvious to an experienced beekeeper I would have thought. I am hoping that todays presentations are going to go deeper (and hopefully more technical) which will be more interesting for me. 

I always find it interesting to see how much things have changed since my first conference (in Nelson when I was still working and living in the north island). I come sporadically and the growth of products and suppliers supplying things that we 'need' to keep our bees healthy and thriving is always interesting also. My personal opinion (which I have stated here previously) is that if you are going to increase production and hive health better beekeeping/training, site location and young/good queens along with hive health/varroa control are the first steps and the key ones. A $100,000 truck with a lifter is a tool and sometimes a useful one but it should come after the basics of hive work and health if you want to make money at this game....as for seaweed and other inputs, some of my clients swear by them and if they are applied after you have done the hard/less glamorous work all good. There are no silver bullets to hives thriving unfortunately.

Good to spend some time with a few of the commercial beekeepers around and get their feel for what is going on....general consensus is that the truck and lifter guys will be having a hard conference this year despite the number of beekeepers drooling over the rigs on show.

• Good Info 1

11 hours ago, glynn said:

So far I've put named to faces with @Desmo and @Mummzie still got a few to go but didn't have much time today

yer also meet mummzie yesterday,

11 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Haha, no windows so no choice but concentrate. Earthquake woke me up a bit though. Not used to those were I live .

yer 5 point some thing, centered picton way 

Edited by kevin moore

On 22/07/2018 at 8:27 PM, Philbee said:

That my 25000? 

19 hours ago, Stoney said:

That my 25000? 

Yes I sent you 24800 I think,  plus a couple of other lots so it was about 26000 gone out today

I threw the extra 800 in your lot for good measure

It left today and one of the buckets on the top corner of the big pallet contains all the paperwork and 3 Pail openers

So I met @Mummzie and her charge, Alicia (organic speaker) but being with @TammyW from our lab, I think she met some more?

I was at the conference as a volunteer and it was a well spent 3 days. We were fed well- Bacon butties to start each morning , supplied coffee and best of all, able to attend some of the talks. I was lucky enough to get talking to the speaker on organics- Alisha Taff and she wanted to see thru a local beekeeping operation. I offered to chauffeur if she could get a visit and to their credit Taylor Pass Honey obliged. Two of the staff gave up the afternoon to show us through their operation.  It was a somewhat different operation from my 6 hive, 3 frame hand cranked extractor and used peanut butter jar operation. Enjoyed meeting @glynn and Nan, @nikki watts @Desmo @kevin moore and of course @JohnF and @TammyW but didn't manage to catch up with the trench coat salesman @jamesc                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

• Like 1