BSB

Conference- anyone going?

In answer to @kaihoka. They used to make the first day of conference usually a Sunday more specific for hobbyists but then they found that many commercials and others came along in any case so it has become just part of the whole three day conference for everyone. BF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started going to conference about 8 years ago and the first 2 or 3 years it was all interesting as it was all new to me.   And then you start getting a bit more observant/critical as to what is going on at conference.    From Rotorua conferences everything got cranked up...a lot more attendees were there and ever since then it seemed like the beekeeping industry  has started a different sort of movement....maybe it’s the big boys coming in.         The Networking can be excellent  and or course 95% of the  stalls are trying to sell you some sort of product or service which is fine..you see some really cool stuff and get different slants on things as we all bee keep our own certain ways.      Lots of governmental departments telling us what we should and shouldn’t do and  giving us facts (that we have all contributed to).     I like science and a bit or reality beekeeping.   There should be more of it.    I guess with all the different scales of beekeeping out there - I would like to see, say,  the beeks who have 250 - 500 hives discuss their issues and how they deal with them.   I guess we all have same issues but at different scales.     

IMO Randy Oliver would have to be one of the more interesting speakers...good for motivation.     A conference is made or broken by the quality of the speakers and the topics.    I am looking forward to being there this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Unless things have changed since he was here in 2011 for the NBA Waipuna conference , you need to factor into Randy Oliver's talks - particularly regarding varroa, that he mainly produces and sells nucs, rather than produce honey so there are more opportunities for brood breaks, which of itself impacts the build up of varroa.

• Agree 1

Some people like to network.  Some people like to listen to the presenters.  Others for the social.  Bigger companies "shout' the worker bees to it.  For some, it's a holiday and excuse to visit other areas of New Zealand. 

It's expensive I find.  And busy.  Suppliers show their wares and shout a round at the bar.  I prefer the more local type of get together. 

I  wonder about similar types of events- The Home Show, Field Days, Food Shows, and lately I heard a Womans Show.  You pay to get in and then pay for the food and crap.  The stall holders pay a good amount to be there and I ask "why do we have to pay for entry  to see/buy their stuff?" 

Wouldn't the stall holders pay enough for the venue and organising of event through the fees that they pay?

I reckon bee equipment suppliers will be fighting for all they can after this year's overall performance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/07/2018 at 1:49 PM, JohnF said:

Yes, as above we hope that all the science talks will be recorded. A number of people have asked about the varroa resistance but in fairness to the conference session, we will present the results there first. It'll be up to @TammyW as to the results of her work being put up here

Hope to meet more of the beekeepers involved with my Lotmaria research project while in Blenheim for the conference.

This is my first visit to the mainland, shameful I know! 

You'll find me at the science talks on Monday and I'm sure I'll be easily spotted in the dnature team green shirt. Have completed my MSc so will post a link and some information after conference. 

• Like 4

On 16/07/2018 at 3:36 PM, Sailabee said:

Unless things have changed since he was here in 2011 for the NBA Waipuna conference , you need to factor into Randy Oliver's talks - particularly regarding varroa, that he mainly produces and sells nucs, rather than produce honey so there are more opportunities for brood breaks, which of itself impacts the build up of varroa.

Randy was here for last year's conference. He gave some excellent, enthusiastic talks that were very well received. You can see the multiple presentations he gave here:

https://apinz.org.nz/conference-videos-2017/  (JM)

It's finally arrived. 

My apologies to @glynnfor the pain of driving through Blenheim.

Just be thankful we have no traffic lights yet as some Blenheim drivers haven't learned how to use roundabouts properly.

Hope to see some of the forum crowd over the weekend. I'll be there as one of the local volunteers on all 3 days.

Desmo, aka Rod Buckingham

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Desmo said:

It's finally arrived. 

My apologies to @glynnfor the pain of driving through Blenheim.

Just be thankful we have no traffic lights yet as some Blenheim drivers haven't learned how to use roundabouts properly.

Hope to see some of the forum crowd over the weekend. I'll be there as one of the local volunteers on all 3 days.

Desmo, aka Rod Buckingham

Good to see you on the forum again Rod.  Where have you been, how are the bees doing.

On 15/07/2018 at 10:51 AM, jamesc said:

I don't think you're ever going to learn everything there is to know about bees at a conference, but it's an opportunity to meet and see what's going on out there.  I hope to meet some potential honey buyers face to face and get the inside story as to why  the price has taken a tumble when for years and years we as a country have always been able to market our honey at an above average price.  Perhaps we should have a chat as well with the compliance people and ask why we are whacked with increasing compliance costs when in the new world of low honey prices their spin of "compliance give us a saleable product at a premium price" does'nt seem to ring true. 

I also hope to meet the Lyson men and see the new and updated machines ..... perhaps meet Big Hands and share a cup of free coffee with him ,and hopefully come home buzzing with enthusiasm and ready to crack into another season, and hopefully not P too many people off in the process.

Sorry not going.So give me a time and place we can meet for a coffee and a "chat"

• Thanks 1

Hi Trev,

Been flying under the radar for a bit as have been unbelievably busy at work after some major staff changes, and too wiped out to forum after hours.

Beekeeping is still working out for me, although I did make a pretty stupid rookie mistake during autumn requeening (left the tab on a queen carrier) Had a rotten run of weather afterwards and didn't get back into the hive for 8 weeks, at which point the queen was still in the carrier but the attendants had all died. That hive is a bit quiet but still ticking along. Have yet to research the effects of confinement on queens but I expect it's not good for them. We'll see what spring brings.

Aside from that, I have a few days off to indulge in the conference. Too good an opportunity to miss when it's on my doorstep and I get a half day of free attendance for each half day of volunteering.

Hope all is well with you. I heard that you had quite a trip overseas.

• Like 2

So, I flew into Nelson this avo.... hmpf ... sunny Nelson my ass.

now in blenhiem and looking forward to the next few days. Any forum members wanting to catch up can call on 0273504444. ?

• Haha 1

On 15/07/2018 at 10:51 AM, jamesc said:

I also hope to meet the Lyson men and see the new and updated machines ..... 

Good chance of that. Hit them up for a bumper sticker while you're at it.

20180721_230527.jpg

Just now, Desmo said:

Good chance of that. Hit them up for a bumper sticker while you're at it.

20180721_230527.jpg

The bottom one is my fav. Lysol man even took a photo this avo of our Antigue landi with that bumper sticker . 

3 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

The bottom one is my fav. Lysol man even took a photo this avo of our Antigue landi with that bumper sticker . 

Bottom one is my fav too. It's an oldie but a goodie.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nikki watts said:

now in blenhiem and looking forward to the next few days. Any forum members wanting to catch up can call on 0273504444. ?

I'll be the knuckle-dragging missing link looking guy with a 5 ft gray headed one dragging me away from all the toys we can't afford to pay for

• Haha 5

59 minutes ago, glynn said:

I'll be the knuckle-dragging missing link looking guy with a 5 ft gray headed one dragging me away from all the toys we can't afford to pay for

did you leave the missus behind ?

Some has to look after the shop

9 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Blenheim weather will be better , it's much sunnier than nelson .

On 14/07/2018 at 11:19 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

If the research was funded by apinz only and apinz beekeepers were the only ones that sent in samples then yes that would be fair.

Disagree to a point

We all contribute freely to a greater or lessor degree.
Its true that I for one have been an advocate for a Commercial only forum so that Commercials (significant stake holders) could discuss issues and ideas away from those who are in my view free loaders.
 This wish  has been largely ignored by the site owners and we as Commercials have to a large degree gone along with the system as it is.

In the same or similar spirit ApiNZ could do the same as one day a favor might go their way

Just saying

12 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Disagree to a point

We all contribute freely to a greater or lessor degree.
Its true that I for one have been an advocate for a Commercial only forum so that Commercials (significant stake holders) could discuss issues and ideas away from those who are in my view free loaders.

Are you calling me a free loader @Philbee?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Are you calling me a free loader @Philbee?

where did i say that

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Yep. Really nice day today 

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

But I was stuck inside !!

6 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

But I was stuck inside !!

Was it interesting enough  inside to stop you gazing out the window at the lovely sunny day .

So far I've put named to faces with @Desmo and @Mummzie still got a few to go but didn't have much time today