BSB

Conference- anyone going?

Can admin please remove my doubtful post above. It has no relevance now you've fixed the triple post thing

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

No.

Oh, then whose phone number was it that you posted for us hulagans to use?

44 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Can admin please remove my doubtful post above. It has no relevance now you've fixed the triple post thing

Nah.  It can stay.

Private joke for those in the know.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Philbee said:

Oh, then whose phone number was it that you posted for us hulagans to use?

I'm confused. Are you refering to the bucket seat, or bucket of staples .....

33 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I'm confused. Are you refering to the bucket seat, or bucket of staples .....

Bucket seats, I checked and found that I sent my photo to the wrong number?

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

sent my photo to the wrong number?

Did she get back to you ?:ph34r:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Did she get back to you ?:ph34r:

Not as yet

32 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Not as yet

The Phillipines are a few hours behind us.

love you long time @Philbee

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Bucket seats, I checked and found that I sent my photo to the wrong number?

Are you selling the seat ?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Are you selling the seat ?

No, just 2 buckets

On ‎3‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:39 AM, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

Just go into the conference web site link above where it has all of the costs listed. You can then choose which events to attend according to your budget. BF 

Do you or anyone know if any news agency or bloggers are covering the conference, I can't afford to make it down to the south...Dennis

Have just returned from a holiday which didn't involve email or phone !

We (myself and @TammyW ) are heading to conference. We're both speaking in the science sessions - I'll be speaking about our new tests for the varroa resistance markers and our results to date and Tammy is speaking about her Masters project on Lotmaria passim (as well as nosema) prevalence around the country. You'll spot us around - at least from behind  - in this:

769380325_dnaturetee.jpg.9ecf96c055298e9497f87cacc0fb7324.jpg

so feel free to bail us up to talk about AFB testing with DNA methods, bee pathogens and varroa resistance

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@JohnF and @TammyW any chance of posting your results on the forum after conference for those that won’t be going.

Yes, as above we hope that all the science talks will be recorded. A number of people have asked about the varroa resistance but in fairness to the conference session, we will present the results there first. It'll be up to @TammyW as to the results of her work being put up here

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

In reply to Dennis @nu Bee all the presentations at conference will be videoed and later availalbe on the ApiNZ web site. BF

Only for ApiNZ members or for all beekeepers ?

Would you agree @frazzledfozzle that it would be quite fair if it was for ApiNZ members only? Or including those that had attended conference but werent members 

But no, as it happens the videos will be available to all (as the 2016 and 2017 videos are) on the Resources page on the ApiNZ website. We are hoping that the science talks will be recorded but this is not a definite at this time.

The talks will be different this year - in response to feedback from past audiences, the talks are being limited to 7 minutes and the speakers will be conveying their research in the same number of slides. So if you're not liking a talk . . well, it will be over soon ! JM

48 minutes ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

Would you agree @frazzledfozzle that it would be quite fair if it was for ApiNZ members only? Or including those that had attended conference but werent members 

If the research was funded by apinz only and apinz beekeepers were the only ones that sent in samples then yes that would be fair.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

The talks will be different this year - in response to feedback from past audiences, the talks are being limited to 7 minutes and the speakers will be conveying their research in the same number of slides. So if you're not liking a talk . . well, it will be over soon ! JM

So mainly a once over lightly on anything to do with science so as not to detract from the social focus - seems an expensive get together to actually learn sweet all. With so many new entrants in the industry, an opportunity lost.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

41 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

So mainly a once over lightly on anything to do with science so as not to detract from the social focus - seems an expensive get together to actually learn sweet all. With so many new entrants in the industry, an opportunity lost.

The workings of an atomic bomb could be lucidly explained in a 7 minute presentation,  I think you're being a little harsh considering the likely spectrum of participants.

• Agree 1

When I realised that I had paid hugely to hear someone like Watson speak heifer dust at the Rotorua Conference in 2016, I realised the focus had changed with the creation of Apiculture NZ. As a hobbyist, I am really only interested in beekeeping and the science behind it, the marketing stuff is down there with IT stuff to me. Mercifully, NZ Beekeepers Association came along to fill the chasm.

• Agree 1

I can confirm that the presentations made at the science forum on Monday 23rd will be videoed and become available at some point on the ApiNZ web site. You can see what's on at http://apicultureconference2018.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Apiculture-2018-Conference_Science-Abstracts_v2.pdf It is a fantastic line up of presentations. BF

1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

Its OK @Sailabee - there's also 2 minutes for questions !

OK, a bit flippant but previous feedback has been that often the science methods etc have been too detailed where the beekeepers wanted to know the aims and results only. So we decided to adopt a format similar to Pecha Kucha. It also allows us to show the wide variety of research being done in NZ (and Australia) given that the science forums only have an afternoon (plus some science talks in the main sessions). At the end of each session (2 sessions broken up by afternoon tea) then speakers will also remain behind for one-on-one questions and chats. Plus of course you can catch up with them during the rest of the conference. There will also be posters presented

For those that think there should be more detailed science presentations or more time for science . . .please give that feedback to us at conference !  JM

• Good Info 1

I don't think you're ever going to learn everything there is to know about bees at a conference, but it's an opportunity to meet and see what's going on out there.  I hope to meet some potential honey buyers face to face and get the inside story as to why  the price has taken a tumble when for years and years we as a country have always been able to market our honey at an above average price.  Perhaps we should have a chat as well with the compliance people and ask why we are whacked with increasing compliance costs when in the new world of low honey prices their spin of "compliance give us a saleable product at a premium price" does'nt seem to ring true. 

I also hope to meet the Lyson men and see the new and updated machines ..... perhaps meet Big Hands and share a cup of free coffee with him ,and hopefully come home buzzing with enthusiasm and ready to crack into another season, and hopefully not P too many people off in the process.

• Like 3

Do many industry conferences have hobbyists and professional attendees.

Bee keeping seems a bit unusual in that area .