Jump to content
BSB

Conference- anyone going?

Recommended Posts

Im so bad at  interacting  with others . i didnt know there was one   but im sure  it will be to far from auckland   for me . But my question is  where and  when is it please .  i  read  every reply and i got so confused  up down across .i got lost . thanks Onslow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

off topic   but i need to vent . yes   the south is a great place  we all love  NZ .  but  why is it ok  for  the Jafas  to not only pay  for  most of the roading throughout  new zealand .  then  being made to pay  again to  fix auckland's roads .  as 2 /3s  of the population live in auckland  is it  right  to make  us  pay for  all the roads outside of  auckland too . if  that's  how  the governments going to treat us   well .   guess where my Center finger is pointing 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Spoon 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, onslow66 said:

is it  right  to make  us  pay for  all the roads outside of  auckland too

Yes it is completely right .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to advise for those who are not familiar with where conference is this year it is in Blenheim. The exhibition space is now completely sold out and I'm told that registrations are ahead of 2017. There is a fantastic science forum on Monday afternoon 23rd that is getting alot of bookings to the extent that I understand from one of the organisers that it may have to be held in the main venue hall. You can find more on the web site as follows.

 http://apicultureconference2018.co.nz

BF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to know the cost before I fill in any registration forms. Is it so dear it would put us off if you told us?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Janice said:

I'd like to know the cost before I fill in any registration forms. Is it so dear it would put us off if you told us?

I do not think it is too expensive for what it is offering .

And if it was in Nelson where I can get free accommodation I would certainly go .

I would go the days that I wanted . 

But when you  pay for travel and some where to stay you may as well go to the whole show and then the costs mount up .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been looking at the conference workshop schedule.

Not as interesting for me as last year. I think the science is a must cause I believe it’s going to be more and more important to keep up with new discoveries. I would have liked to attend the insemination workshop but it clashes with science. 

Its nice they have events for the plus ones, anyone else keen to wag Tuesday and go wine tasting ????  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, onslow66 said:

off topic   but i need to vent . yes   the south is a great place  we all love  NZ .  but  why is it ok  for  the Jafas  to not only pay  for  most of the roading throughout  new zealand .  then  being made to pay  again to  fix auckland's roads .  as 2 /3s  of the population live in auckland  is it  right  to make  us  pay for  all the roads outside of  auckland too . if  that's  how  the governments going to treat us   well .   guess where my Center finger is pointing 

yes i'am ok with that, we do send you Jafas a lot of power

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nikki watts said:

I’ve been looking at the conference workshop schedule.

Not as interesting for me as last year. I think the science is a must cause I believe it’s going to be more and more important to keep up with new discoveries. I would have liked to attend the insemination workshop but it clashes with science. 

Its nice they have events for the plus ones, anyone else keen to wag Tuesday and go wine tasting ????  

I'm going to the AI seminar but wanted to do both would be good to swap notes over coffee I think Nan is going to the scientific one as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Janice it was going to cost me around $1000 for 4 nights, two conference meals and some workshops.

Some of the workshops I was interested in clashed and a couple would have been good for a laugh as their  beekeeping credentials are a bit iffy .

But there's plenty there to interest me 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 3
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other half and I are heading down for the conference and then taking the rest of the week to have a holiday. Couple of days in Blenheim, down to Kaikoura to watch the whales (and freeze!) and then on to Hanmer Springs to warm up again! Really looking forward to a change of scenery. Love the South Island :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/07/2018 at 8:59 PM, onslow66 said:

off topic   but i need to vent . yes   the south is a great place  we all love  NZ .  but  why is it ok  for  the Jafas  to not only pay  for  most of the roading throughout  new zealand .  then  being made to pay  again to  fix auckland's roads .  as 2 /3s  of the population live in auckland  is it  right  to make  us  pay for  all the roads outside of  auckland too . if  that's  how  the governments going to treat us   well .   guess where my Center finger is pointing 

Wait till the wall is built and all you Jaffa's need a visa to go south of the Bombay hills. We the other third of the population will want money too if your going  to visit the real NZ ?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ali said:

Wait till the wall is built and all you Jaffa's need a visa to go south of the Bombay hills. We the other third of the population will want money too if your going  to visit the real NZ ?

And we will putt on silly ginger wigs and make Auckland pay for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/07/2018 at 8:59 PM, onslow66 said:

off topic   but i need to vent . yes   the south is a great place  we all love  NZ .  but  why is it ok  for  the Jafas  to not only pay  for  most of the roading throughout  new zealand .  then  being made to pay  again to  fix auckland's roads .  as 2 /3s  of the population live in auckland  is it  right  to make  us  pay for  all the roads outside of  auckland too . if  that's  how  the governments going to treat us   well .   guess where my Center finger is pointing 

Pahaha come to Gisborne and see how much is being spent on our roads, and many other places that can say the same, I drive on Auckland’s shiny well maintained and expensive roads once a year - if that, and I’m quite sure my tax has helped to pay for them.

All of these taxes should be ring fenced and spent where they’re taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah Roading ..... thanks to all you guys up north I have a grader , digger and two trucks parked up in the yard tonite fixing up our road . It's great .... hoping a  bit of sweet talk will get the farm track graded and a grey water hole dug for the smoko room sink. All paid for by Auckland.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Daley said:

Pahaha come to Gisborne and see how much is being spent on our roads, and many other places that can say the same, I drive on Auckland’s shiny well maintained and expensive roads once a year - if that, and I’m quite sure my tax has helped to pay for them.

All of these taxes should be ring fenced and spent where they’re taken.

You don't want that Daley, as there would be far worse roads in some of our smaller communities that need decent roads. 

Region Share of NZTA spending on new and improved roads, 2005-2014 Share of population growth 2006-2013 Share of projected population growth 2013-2043
Auckland 48.5% 55.0% 61.5%
Canterbury 5.9% 6.4% 13.9%
Wellington 10.1% 10.3% 5.2%
Waikato 13.7% 10.4% 7.8%
Bay of Plenty 8.0% 4.4% 4.1%
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Us Cantabrians must rally together with our bucked teeth and banjos and fight this 13.9% projected population growth. 

Theres barely room to move down here these days, I walked over 60kms around some of our disgustingly ugly mountains and saw 8 other humans, this is getting out of hand. 

Then there's the bitter cold , the hot nor wester, 5.5hrs of daylight in winter and the terrible stench of Antarctic penguin poo whenever the wind turns south. 

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just my opinion and not something that I openly advocate as the way forward

.. For me Conferences are a social interaction only
Knowledge can be equally shared on line for a fraction of the cost.

This is not to suggest that enormous benefit cannot be gained by suppliers from a presents at the conference.
These face to face meetings give attendees an opportunity to gauge those who are asking for their Money and or support.

So  on that basis, if i just said Hey Im actually an alright sort of a guy, would that suffice? 
 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're starting to have our doubts have our doubts have our doubts

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

This is just my opinion and not something that I openly advocate as the way forward

.. For me Conferences are a social interaction only
Knowledge can be equally shared on line for a fraction of the cost.

This is not to suggest that enormous benefit cannot be gained by suppliers from a presents at the conference.
These face to face meetings give attendees an opportunity to gauge those who are asking for their Money and or support.

So  on that basis, if i just said Hey Im actually an alright sort of a guy, would that suffice? 
 

nope .... you need to show up so we can make the call.  

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesc said:

nope .... you need to show up so we can make the call.  

did you get the pics of the buckets

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philbee said:

did you get the pics of the buckets

 

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Philbee said:

This is just my opinion and not something that I openly advocate as the way forward

.. For me Conferences are a social interaction only
Knowledge can be equally shared on line for a fraction of the cost.

This is not to suggest that enormous benefit cannot be gained by suppliers from a presents at the conference.
These face to face meetings give attendees an opportunity to gauge those who are asking for their Money and or support.

So  on that basis, if i just said Hey Im actually an alright sort of a guy, would that suffice? 
 

I have never gone to conference for the toys, its always been about the topics and speakers 1st, and catching up with and meeting new/old beekeepers 2nd. The toys are the easiest things to find out about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...