Deon

NZBF Plastic frames, how clean do they need to be before rewaxing?

Cleaning some plastic frames, I have scraped wax and old pollen off, tried waterblasting.

Frames are not as clean as id like, only the easy residues came off. The rest seems really stubborn.

keep trying to clean to new condition? Or wax over remaining residue?

Edited by Deon
Grammar correction

Depend how many frames you have to do.

I only do a few (10 or so at a time).

After scraping of the bulk I then soak the frames in cold water for about  48 hours and then Water blast them. Then rewax.

They come up clean enough for me.

I made a small stand to hold the frame up when Water Blasting

• Agree 2

Thanks Trev, will soak and try again.?

I soak my frames in a 200 ltr drum of water until I get around to it  weeks/ months, old brood frames after a long soak clean up really well with a cold water blast..it's a messy job.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Thanks, soaking helped.

Still a slow job though, I think I need a better waterblaster for next time, 2600psi barely enough.

Glad I only had 20 to do. Next job to re-wax

Is wax quality for waxing frames an issue?

I have bright yellow cappings wax and darker brood wax. Does it matter which I use for frames?

Ive soaked heaps in water troughs for months then used a 100mm wide paint scraper to get under the wax and pollen
I reckon this works better than a blaster 

Thanks all for the advice, frames cleaned and rewaxed, will try the long term soaking as philbee seuggested next time around.

next wee question...

I’ve got some new waxed plastics that don’t appear to have mix wax on them, I only have left some wax from the darker brood frames.

should I used this to add extra wax to the frames or am I better of leaving them as is.

The frames I waxed ( using Trevs paint roller method) Have a really obvious coating of wax.

• Like 1

I ended up buying some plastic frames early this season. Turns out they are really well suited to my scrape and strain harvesting method. Much easier to handle than even manuka special. Much as I'm agin plastic.

I love my plastic frames they are on to their 7th season.  They get cleaned off every 3rd year max,  one season as a honey box which I extract, then left on the hive when it refills for winter feed and becomes a brood box in the spring.  The bottom box is removed when the bees move up in the winter, anything even dark brown gets scrapped clean and returned to the hive.  I use a short wide chisel discarded as too blunt by my drone, if you use a wrist twisting action the old wax lifts out of the cells cleanly without the need to do anything else.

The bees rewax in the spring, if they have problems I tell them to put it in writing and I will get it attended to it at the next committee meeting.

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 6