Adam Boot

Battle for Manuka - Government lends a voice

I am not sure that all New Zealanders understand the importance of protecting NZ Manuka now and in the future. The battle is worth many $millions. 

The future value of this industry depends on our ability to defend and differentiate New Zealand Manuka form copies, and nock off. 

I have no political leaning to the current government but I must applaud them when at last a senior MP stands up and gives voice to this battle. 

https://www.manukalover.com/single-post/2018/06/15/Winston-Peters---The-Battle-for-Manuka

Hopefully this is just the beginning 

Good luck with that Winston 
The average Aussi doesn't give a Hoot what the New Zealand Government does or says.
It probably follows that the Aussi business community and Govt is the same.
They just laugh and go back to business.  

The answer to this issue is probably about heading the Aussi's off at the consumer level rather trying to take them on directly.

• Agree 2

We will take any help from govt we can get, but now he is acting PM, if Winston can now put some Govt money into the fight for naming rights just as the Aussie govt has done, then Ill believe he means what he says.

Whoever briefed Winston is incorrect - Australia do have the species that we call manuka: Leptospermum scoparium. And more of it as they plant NZ seedlings!

They've mangled it deliberately so that *any* Leptospermum species gets lumped in as manuka

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

Good luck with that Winston 
The average Aussi doesn't give a Hoot what the New Zealand Government does or says.
It probably follows that the Aussi business community and Govt is the same.
They just laugh and go back to business.  

The answer to this issue is probably about heading the Aussi's off at the consumer level rather trying to take them on directly.

We need to do both. It does not matter what the average Aussie cares about, it is the global consumer. You are correct though, it is at consumer level that counts. If the consumer trust NZ Manuka and accepts NZ Manuka as the real deal then that is what really counts and determines the price differential. 

• Like 2

Here we go again - please refresh my memory as to the value of "Manuka honey" used medicinally, and how much is sold as a food (which has no effects).

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, tudor said:

Here we go again - please refresh my memory as to the value of "Manuka honey" used medicinally, and how much is sold as a food (which has no effects).

Thanks.

In the absence of anything else, the psychological benefits for customers from using a product perceived to be good for them can't be underestimated...:-)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tudor said:

Thanks.

For the layman (me) you have a confusing way of posting. Is topical application of manuka honey a medicinal use please ? Google refers to "topical medication"

52 minutes ago, tudor said:

Thanks.

sorry tudor, go read the work done in usa that yes there is an anti inflammatory action when taken internally.

I’m thinking Manuka lover is you @Adam Boot ?

There are only two things to read on the newly formed blog and one of them is about Puriti. 

Theres also a photo of a woman with floaty hair and the same kind of look as the other puriti girls 

https://www.manukalover.com/about

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JohnF said:

Whoever briefed Winston is incorrect - Australia do have the species that we call manuka: Leptospermum scoparium. And more of it as they plant NZ seedlings!

They've mangled it deliberately so that *any* Leptospermum species gets lumped in as manuka

I can't forget that Comvita received taxpayer money ( a lot) to develop seedlings. Guess where they have taken themselves!!

And the earth was once flat................................?

Edited by Ali
quote below missing...oops

3 hours ago, tudor said:

Thanks.

And the earth was once flat........?

5 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

sorry tudor, go read the work done in usa that yes there is an anti inflammatory action when taken internally.

Please give me a real reference with some proof rather than repeated statements which are believed because they are said so often.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

For the layman (me) you have a confusing way of posting. Is topical application of manuka honey a medicinal use please ? Google refers to "topical medication"

good point - there is evidence that honey works when applied topically, but no proof that manuka honey is any better than other honey in patients rather than in the laboratory.

And oral honey ...

You know, I have a professional training and scientific approach to life, and like to use logic, so get a bit techy with statements with no logic but lots emotion and fiscal interests.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I think Tudor is missing the point
People are free to buy whatever they want for whatever reason they choose
For example, there are those who swear by the Range Rover and will never own a Land Cruiser 

Why, because they choose to.

Do people picket the Range Rover Yards?

No

Edited by Philbee

When I first hard that Manuka was being marketed as Aussie Manuka I contacted a friend in Ruatoria who sits on the Moari Council.I told him to get the Council to trademark the name as it is a moari name,not european or aussie or aboriginal.What did the do?Nothing so the moari people have them selves to blame.

11 hours ago, tudor said:

Please give me a real reference with some proof rather than repeated statements which are believed because they are said so often.

I'm not your lacky, I've seen the papers, you go find them, if you have a scientific approach to life as you say, do some scientific research.

Its easy to rabbit on about your own ideas, i've seen enough papers to lead me to believe there is a benefit from ingesting manuka honey.

I am also not saying the same cant be said for other honeys.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I’m thinking Manuka lover is you @Adam Boot ?

There are only two things to read on the newly formed blog and one of them is about Puriti. 

Theres also a photo of a woman with floaty hair and the same kind of look as the other puriti girls 

https://www.manukalover.com/about

I was asked to contribute and I did. If asked I gain then I would if the subject matter had relevance and it suited my purposes. I worked with a PR agency but I am sure you or your business could also contribute if you approached Manuka lover and you had a relevant story. 

3 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

I'm not your lacky, I've seen the papers, you go find them, if you have a scientific approach to life as you say, do some scientific research.

Its easy to rabbit on about your own ideas, i've seen enough papers to lead me to believe there is a benefit from ingesting manuka honey.

I am also not saying the same cant be said for other honeys.

It works like this:  you make a claim, then you provide the proof for it so I can learn from you.

If not, then not.

Rather like someone at a dinner party who says "I heard this great joke, I don't remember the punch line but it was really funny"  and then some people laugh along.  I've actually heard this, beats me.

14 hours ago, Philbee said:

I think Tudor is missing the point
People are free to buy whatever they want for whatever reason they choose
For example, there are those who swear by the Range Rover and will never own a Land Cruiser 

Why, because they choose to.

Do people picket the Range Rover Yards?

No

Jaguar Land Rover, Toyota, and VW have to stick to the facts when they promote their vehicles.  The specifications for those vehicles are tested and true, and when there are not, well look what happened to VW. With Manuka, we put VW to shame(maybe even Trump as well), making totally baseless, and probably baseless claims about the benefits of consuming Manuka Honey. The best you can get about possible benefits is always qualified by 'may'. Manuka has an important role in wound care dressings, apart from that it is a nice honey, but there are many better table honeys here and around the world.  Honey is an amazing product, but let's stick to the facts when promoting it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, tudor said:

It works like this:  you make a claim, then you provide the proof for it so I can learn from you.

If not, then not.

Rather like someone at a dinner party who says "I heard this great joke, I don't remember the punch line but it was really funny"  and then some people laugh along.  I've actually heard this, beats me.

The same goes for if you claim to disprove a another claim, where is your evidence? Dr Molan had plenty of research going on, go check them out and lately Dennis Watson has had several trials done in USA, in fact love or loath the guy he has spent $$$$$$$ carrying on with where Dr Molan left off. Go do your home work. If people want to spend money on what they perceive as a product that benefits them good on them. But your continual claim that taken internally has no effect is just not right, now you could argue how much of an effect there is and to what benefit you would gain- well that's still left with the science, and also the very real place of the placebo effect, which is just as real as taking a manufactured drug for some people.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

The same goes for if you claim to disprove a another claim, where is your evidence? Dr Molan had plenty of research going on, go check them out and lately Dennis Watson has had several trials done in USA, in fact love or loath the guy he has spent $$$$$$$ carrying on with where Dr Molan left off. Go do your home work. If people want to spend money on what they perceive as a product that benefits them good on them. But your continual claim that taken internally has no effect is just not right, now you could argue how much of an effect there is and to what benefit you would gain- well that's still left with the science, and also the very real place of the placebo effect, which is just as real as taking a manufactured drug for some people.

I am sorry Dennis, Tudor didn't make a claim, he only asked you to back up your claim. You are an industry representative and should know that these claims need to be referenced and not go by hearsay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Yanke said:

Jaguar Land Rover, Toyota, and VW have to stick to the facts when they promote their vehicles.

No they dont

When was the last time you saw a sheep driving a Hilux

People buy the vehicle that suits 3 things 

Buget

Needs

Taste comes under image and equally applies to Manuka honey for many

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2