Pollen sub feeding in early Spring - how much?

Last year in late Winter / early Spring I would have fed out about an average 1kg per hive of pollen subs in a couple of doses at the same time as stimulatory sugar syrup feeding.

I know that the amount of pollen subs to feed is going to be dictated by how much pollen there is in the frames, how much pollen is coming in, and how much royal jelly the nurses bees are feeding young larvae etc

But putting all that all to one side, what quantity of pollen subs do most of you feed out?

Edited by CraBee
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ted can do this because of his geographical proximity to the cloud of hot air emanating from Auckland and the throng of Auckland refugees flocking to Tauranga. His climate as a result is winterless.

Well Bro - best you crack into it then.  Don’t let 2 months of s**t weather stand in your way.  Be sure and let us know how you go!!?

How about planting some later winter / early flowering plants like Tagasaste or early flowering willow species like the shrub willow aegyptiaca PN229 or reichardtii PN215 in the winning with willows g

14 hours ago, CraBee said:

Last year in late Winter / early Spring I would have fed out about an average 1kg per hive of pollen subs in a couple of doses at the same time as stimulatory sugar syrup feeding.

I know that the amount of pollen subs to feed is going to be dictated by how much pollen there is in the frames, how much pollen is coming in, and how much royal jelly the nurses bees are feeding young larvae etc

But putting all that all to one side, what quantity of pollen subs do most of you feed out?

I feed roughly the same - 2 or 3 half kg patties.  First ones go in beginning of June and then continuous until natural pollen (gorse) starts coming in.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jaspur M said:

June sounds prety early, whats your reasoning behind that ted? 

Want to make sure the bees are well fed and fat prior to mid July commencement of 1 to 1 syrup stimulation to build the hives for early queen rearing.

• Good Info 1
5 minutes ago, Ted said:

First graft last week of August.

Ted can do this because of his geographical proximity to the cloud of hot air emanating from Auckland and the throng of Auckland refugees flocking to Tauranga. His climate as a result is winterless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Just now, yesbut said:

To be fair the first few grafts are relatively small and we don’t get serious until around mid September depending on the conditions at the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
20 hours ago, Ted said:

Want to make sure the bees are well fed and fat prior to mid July commencement of 1 to 1 syrup stimulation to build the hives for early queen rearing.

Sheesh ....  we start raising queens when the daffodils start coming out ...... and they are coming out now Brother.

16 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Sheesh ....  we start raising queens when the daffodils start coming out ...... and they are coming out now Brother.

Well Bro - best you crack into it then.  Don’t let 2 months of s**t weather stand in your way.  Be sure and let us know how you go!!?

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Aaah Bro .... I'm going on holiday and might just take a break for a month or so ..... No rush Eh !

Stepping outside tonight think it'll wait a week or two it's good to see the stars finally but they came with ice 

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We also do our first graft last week of August.

we don’t feed pollen sub.

My hives / nucs have never really had any stored pollen in them coming out of Winter.  I spoke to a very experienced local bk yesterday who works for one of the larger operators and he told me "there is never really any stored pollen in the hives around Auckland" so its our environment I guess.  It's either that or "all the hot air emanating out of Auckland"  ( @yesbut ) is responsible for blowing it around the rest of the country.?

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2018 at 5:37 PM, CraBee said:

I feed pre made megabee patties, I give 1/2 to singles and full patties to DBs starting last week of july.

Edited by Maru Hoani
Auto correct changed pre to per