MackAp

Rusty Queen excluders - Stainless Steel?

Today I have been cleaning my queen excluders (Wooden rim with Galv grid). I have noticed rust starting to appear on some of them. I have done a formic MAQ strip treatment in Autumn for the last 2 years which is probably the cause of this.

My questions for you clever folk are:

1. Will the bees scratch themselves on the rust as they pass through the now rusty excluder?

2. Does anyone make a stainless steel excluder?

Us lot clever?  You sure you got galv grid?  seems unusual- mostly stainless excluders sold now.  You can get a bit of surface rust on stainless.  Never thought that could be an issue. 

Ecrotek dont specify what type of metal their excluders are made of on their website I always thought they were Galvanised. Ceracell say there ones are nickel coated steel.

I think there is a member on here who works for Ecrotek who could clarify what their ones are made of? Anyone remember their name?

Run them through the paraffin plant hot or change  to plastic which I have found much better than the metal ones. I know not everyone agrees with me but there is no comparison as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree 1

I have not used the plastic ones before, are they any good? 

1 hour ago, Hannes said:

I have not used the plastic ones before, are they any good? 

You will get a lot of conflicting answers to that question .

• Haha 2

I don't like plastic excluders but I use them when I use maqs. They don't have rims for bee space and get glued down.

• Good Info 1

16 hours ago, MackAp said:

Ecrotek dont specify what type of metal their excluders are made of on their website I always thought they were Galvanised. Ceracell say there ones are nickel coated steel.

I think there is a member on here who works for Ecrotek who could clarify what their ones are made of? Anyone remember their name?

Hey @MackAp, all our excluder grids are stainless steel (We have one type with a galvanised rim, but the grid is still stainless steel). As for what has caused this, the formic acid in MAQS can cause rust. As @john berry mentions, your best solution for this is a plastic excluder :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that clarification Lucy. I think Ill try John's suggestion and chuck them through the paraffin dipper.

On 18/06/2018 at 4:46 PM, MackAp said:

Today I have been cleaning my queen excluders (Wooden rim with Galv grid). I have noticed rust starting to appear on some of them. I have done a formic MAQ strip treatment in Autumn for the last 2 years which is probably the cause of this.

1. Will the bees scratch themselves on the rust as they pass through the now rusty excluder?

there are many types / grades of s/steel the poorer stuff will rust.

On 19/06/2018 at 11:38 AM, MackAp said:

Thanks for that clarification Lucy. I think Ill try John's suggestion and chuck them through the paraffin dipper.

Hey @MackAp, I just heard they're actually all galvanised, sorry for the confusion.

• Confused 1

Hi @Lucy Tasker, do you think Ecrotek will consider supplying a stainless steel excluder option now that you do sell MAQ's and that rust will be an issue on the Galvanised Grids? I wont be using plastic excluders again.

15 hours ago, MackAp said:

Hi @Lucy Tasker, do you think Ecrotek will consider supplying a stainless steel excluder option now that you do sell MAQ's and that rust will be an issue on the Galvanised Grids? I wont be using plastic excluders again.

Hi @MackAp,

MAQS recommend removing the queen excluder prior to treatment in case the bees try to move upwards away from the MAQS and leave the queen behind.

However, your feedback is valuable and i'll pass this on to the product team to look into some options :)

• Like 1

On 18/06/2018 at 4:46 PM, MackAp said:

Hi MacAp
I need to contact you re-Your purchase
I am unable to message you 
Your parcel will go to NZ Couriers Whakatane 
Is that OK?

9 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Hi MacAp
I need to contact you re-Your purchase
I am unable to message you 
Your parcel will go to NZ Couriers Whakatane 
Is that OK?

Cancel that Ive just found your details and the parcel will go to your house at 177

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Cancel that Ive just found your details and the parcel will go to your house at 177

All good. Cant wait to try your strips. Im going to do  a couple of yards without synthetics and start (about time) mite counting. Will alternate between Oxalic/glyc and MAQ's.

7 minutes ago, MackAp said:

All good. Cant wait to try your strips. Im going to do  a couple of yards without synthetics and start (about time) mite counting. Will alternate between Oxalic/glyc and MAQ's.

Great, They are on the truck today.
Watch the OA thread for Premixed OA/GL starts today