Jose Thayil

New genetics (legal and illegal importation)

RISK OF CLOSURE

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

And herein lies the problem with the Bee Industry. The Deer industry had their annual conference a few weeks ago. 200 people attended, and every week now we are bombarded with information about how to improve our operation from other farmers happy to divulge their secrets. Mean while in Bee Ville the conference will attract several thousand participants, none of who will tell you their secrets  and castigate you for being up front and honest and generally pound you into the ground for daring to come out from under your mushroom.

Not that I put myself up on a pedestal (too tall for that :) ) I have no problem sharing failures and successes  with other beeks and likewise it goes the other way too. But that is probably the circle I move in. Having said that, there are certainly some prickly personalities out there. It just makes the world an interesting place to live in

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Tonite on the email ... another invite from the P2P  Deer program ..... pasture to plate ... to visit a property in Ashburton next week .  When was the last time we got an invite to visit a bee operation and commune ...?   About two years ago. 

I understand what you are saying.

And if we were all keeping our bees on our own land without the risk of having others pinching our sites and over crowding us it might be a different story.

Beekeepers do talk to one another honestly and frankly within a circle of trust, but it can’t extend to everyone for the fact that there are those who will stab you in the back.

I am of the opinion that NOONE should be bringing in anything bees or bee related into NZ.

The risks outweigh the benefits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Tonite on the email ... another invite from the P2P  Deer program ..... pasture to plate ... to visit a property in Ashburton next week .  When was the last time we got an invite to visit a bee operation and commune ...?   About two years ago. 

Uhmm,  if you owned deer and had no land- and had to compete for green pastures and some green pastures produced gold antlers.....   Can't really compare industries. 

The lack of trust is a great problem.  Once trust has been broken it's difficult to re establish.  

Do plumbers, builders, concrete layers, tilers, roofers... have annual New Zealand conferences?? 

NZbee  is not a bad place for sharing.  Not really like in person but I find it okay. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Lindaloo26 said:

NZbee  is not a bad place for sharing.  Not really like in person but I find it okay. 

I agree. I have people on here I would call friends and share secrets with and I have never met them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

The real victim here is Jose

"Dont want to cause any problems to anyone". 

But seriously the problem is our interlect

Back at School if you were hopeless at most things you could always be a Chippy 

I didn't  realize it at the time but there was one more safety net and here we are.

Edited by Philbee
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Lindaloo26 said:

Do plumbers, builders, concrete layers, tilers, roofers... have annual New Zealand conferences?? 

Only if it's put on by Fletcher Building in Fiji

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daley said:

I agree. I have people on here I would call friends and share secrets with and I have never met them.

Would it spoil things to meet them .

Like when a great book is made into a lousy movie  . LOL

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, jamesc said:

And herein lies the problem with the Bee Industry. The Deer industry had their annual conference a few weeks ago. 200 people attended, and every week now we are bombarded with information about how to improve our operation from other farmers happy to divulge their secrets. Mean while in Bee Ville the conference will attract several thousand participants, none of who will tell you their secrets  and castigate you for being up front and honest and generally pound you into the ground for daring to come out from under your mushroom.

Beekeepers are more like gold prospectors. They will share stories but also keep big secrets.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Janice said:

Beekeepers are more like gold prospectors. They will share stories but also keep big secrets.

I think bee keepers are  a type  of nomadic herdsman. 

They probably keep their best pastures secret too .

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, David Yanke said:

I haven't heard of anything lately, except a crazy tale of varroa proof bees originating from a long lost population of 'Eastern European Honey Bees'(Caucasian) found  in a hidden valley on the South Island somewhere, being offered for sale for eye-watering sums of money. 

David would this be someone who, so the story goes, was ill some years back and unable to treat his bees, then once on his feet again discovered a few "survivors", from which he has bred a "varroa resistant" bee?

I bought some queens from him (for an eye watering sum of money), and some of the hives I put them in developed a strange affliction I have not seen before. The hives showed no symptoms of disease, but just got weaker and weaker. Boosting with brood only prolonged the misery, they would continue to get weaker and weaker, in the end I just let them die. That was some years ago but I still have that apiary in quaranteen just in case.

Later, I heard (first hand from someone involved), that after some suspicions an AP2 was sent to check his hives, he was denied access and seen off with threats of violence. So 3 AP2's were sent in a group. 

Edited by Alastair

13 hours ago, jamesc said:

@jamesc if you ever cross the ditch, I’d be happy to show you round our operation.   Bring your dogs for a run too if you like ?

12 hours ago, Daley said:

I understand what you are saying.

And if we were all keeping our bees on our own land without the risk of having others pinching our sites and over crowding us it might be a different story.

Beekeepers do talk to one another honestly and frankly within a circle of trust, but it can’t extend to everyone for the fact that there are those who will stab you in the back.

I talked to a seasonal beekeeper here openly about our operation. My goal was to have open dialogue about bee health. He promptly purchased a 3/4 acre section over the road from our 800acre Manuka block. Won’t make that mistake again. 

• Sad 4

13 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

I talked to a seasonal beekeeper here openly about our operation. My goal was to have open dialogue about bee health. He promptly purchased a 3/4 acre section over the road from our 800acre Manuka block. Won’t make that mistake again. 

Yep that’s the problem.

Some people see dollar signs and their morals go out the window ?

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Daley said:

Yep that’s the problem.

44 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

@jamesc if you ever cross the ditch, I’d be happy to show you round our operation.   Bring your dogs for a run too if you like ?

sounds like a good idea ..... any other 3/4 acre sections for sale ?I think we talked about bringing the dogs up a while ago ....  

30 minutes ago, Daley said:

Yep that’s the problem.

Yes it is a problem, but I see it more as information sharing, not for sites etc but for getting healthy bees up to speed. You may well have a primo manuka block, but if yer bees miss the flow you've lost the crop. Conversely you may have a crappy old clover or heaven forbid, Dew site, but if your bees peak at "The Time" you may well find you do better than the manuka producer.

Glynn has the right idea down in Kirwee ..... bringing people together in his informal way .....

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, jamesc said:

bringing people together in his informal way .....

That's what the "local" used to be about, now they're nearly gone too.

14 minutes ago, yesbut said:

That's what the "local" used to be about, now they're nearly gone too.

Drink driving laws did that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jamesc said:

sounds like a good idea ..... any other 3/4 acre sections for sale ?I think we talked about bringing the dogs up a while ago ....  

Yeah, I was really keen to get you over. I tried to get the other local beeks to join in but one balked at paying for travel time between his sites (two are boat access only) and the other was the idiot who purchased  over the road from us. We only have 150 hives here so I don’t think it would be  worth your time for just us. 

Edited by nikki watts

53 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yes it is a problem, but I see it more as information sharing, not for sites etc but for getting healthy bees up to speed. You may well have a primo manuka block, but if yer bees miss the flow you've lost the crop. Conversely you may have a crappy old clover or heaven forbid, Dew site, but if your bees peak at "The Time" you may well find you do better than the manuka producer.

Glynn has the right idea down in Kirwee ..... bringing people together in his informal way .....

Every one's welcome for a cuppa and chinwag.

I'm looking forward to the conference this year to put face to name.

Back to the subject we have so many twits spitting out queens of poor quality we are at risk off harming the good genetics we have

Edited by glynn
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, glynn said:

Every one's welcome for a cuppa and chinwag.

I'm looking forward to the conference this year to put face to name.

Back to the subject we have so many twits spitting out queens of poor quality we are at risk off harming the good genetics we have

do you think hobbyists are welcome at conferences.

i thought about going but i thought these events are really for serious bee keepers not people with 4 hives.

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

i thought about going but i thought these events are really for serious bee keepers not people with 4 hives.

Yep you can talk to James he's now just in it for a hobby. But I think there is something there for everyone 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Well it says non commercial on the blurb, and it'll cost you only $46.25 per hive..

If ApiNZ run the rest of their business as they do conference promotion, well. Finding the cost of an event shouldn't require form filling and email declaring.

Edited by yesbut

30 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Well it says non commercial on the blurb, and it'll cost you only $46.25 per hive..

If ApiNZ run the rest of their business as they do conference promotion, well. Finding the cost of an event shouldn't require form filling and email declaring.

i have not done the finding out how much it will cost me yet.

is there other costs than the $185 for 4 hives.

other than gas and accommodation of course.

57 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

i thought about going but i thought these events are really for serious bee keepers not people with 4 hives

If the conference is in your neck of the woods I would definitely go, so far have managed to go to two myself.  You can pick up heaps of good info to the limit of your ability to understand.  Some of the more technical papers made lots of sense to me while I was listening to their delivery but couldn't have repeated what I heard to any one else. I went home with a new enthusiasm to make sure I play my part in being the best beekeeper I can.  Definitely go if you can manage it even if its only for one day.

• Like 4

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.