ApiNZ Science & Research

Organic acid (oxalic, formc) suppliers - help please

Can those using formic or oxalic acids help us out? Can you help us make a list of the suppliers of the organic acids, formic and oxalic acid, to beekeepers?
The ApiNZ Focus Group requires this information to assist the making of the supply of these chemicals for varroa control legal under the ACVM Act 1997. ApiNZ has had discussions with MPI to determine a legitimate path forward for the beekeeping Industry.
Our list to date is very short, but we believe that there are other suppliers of these chemicals in the market place. So far we have; Bunnings, Ceracell, Clark Products, Ecrotek, Kiwimana.Any others that folks can add? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

Can those using formic or oxalic acids help us out? Can you help us make a list of the suppliers of the organic acids, formic and oxalic acid, to beekeepers?
The ApiNZ Focus Group requires this information to assist the making of the supply of these chemicals for varroa control legal under the ACVM Act 1997. ApiNZ has had discussions with MPI to determine a legitimate path forward for the beekeeping Industry.
Our list to date is very short, but we believe that there are other suppliers of these chemicals in the market place. So far we have; Bunnings, Ceracell, Clark Products, Ecrotek, Kiwimana.Any others that folks can add? 

There are a few more suppliers on trademe as well.

They are possibly buying in bulk from the main suppliers and repackaging to on-sell.

We sell it in smaller quantities for those who don't want to buy 25 kg 

We are Kirwee bees in Canterbury

Edited by glynn
  • Good Info 2

Coming to an industry near and dear to you --- more costs and expenses courtesy of MPI

• Like 1

Any paint shop will most likely stock oxalic acid, it's used as wood bleach.

4 hours ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

I am not so sure that you should be promoting suppliers of formic acid.  It is an extremely dangerous product, not one a hobbyist should get near and certainly not without a full range of safety gear (head to toe)/

Oxalic acid is fine.

• Disagree 1

17 hours ago, CraBee said:

I am not so sure that you should be promoting suppliers of formic acid.  It is an extremely dangerous product, not one a hobbyist should get near and certainly not without a full range of safety gear (head to toe)/

Oxalic acid is fine.

Nice job @chrishighman for the disagree.  Shame I've never heard of you before so it is meaningless.  How about actually contribute with your thoughts as to why you disagree?   I'm interested in understanding why you think drums of formic acid should just be made available to anyone?.

• Agree 2

I thought about a response but there isn't one apart from the x. I don't see ApiNZ request as having anything to do with promotion, it's simply indicating to MPI where it's obtainable from. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/06/2018 at 3:21 PM, olbe said:

Coming to an industry near and dear to you --- more costs and expenses courtesy of MPI

No, this is not from MPI. This is ApiNZ leading the discussion to get additional  varroa treatments permitted under the ACVM act . . . including those being discussed here in other threads. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

I thought about a response but there isn't one apart from the x. I don't see ApiNZ request as having anything to do with promotion, it's simply indicating to MPI where it's obtainable from. 

Correct @yesbut - its not about promoting one or the other, its more so that the chemical specifications can be obtained from sellers by ApiNZ so that an approval can be gained from MPI. As in, its illegal to sell organic acids as a miticide as it stands currently. One can rail against regulations and said 'I'll do what I want and how I wish' . . . but if you're a commercial, remember that little document called a harvest declaration asking the treatments used.

So its more just front-footing the issue . . .

• Like 2

NZbeeswax sell Oxalic

i bought some oxalic of "place makers" about 2 month ago . producer is "Jac Jay"

it doesn't say how much % the acid is, so i phoned (twice, to be sure to be sure) and they stated it's more than 99%.

forgot where my last formic came from, but always keen on more suppliers.

good move @ApiNZ Science & Research!!!!!

1 hour ago, tom sayn said:

i bought some oxalic of "place makers" about 2 month ago . producer is "Jac Jay"

it doesn't say how much % the acid is, so i phoned (twice, to be sure to be sure) and they stated it's more than 99%.

Thanks @tom sayn - but its more to get the specifications of the products being sold, such that they can be used in an application to MPI to ensure these varroa treatments are permitted under the ACVM act. . . .rather than providing a list of suppliers

On 16/06/2018 at 3:21 PM, olbe said:

I agree 

We sell it primarily in 0.5kg pottles.

We are Beequip NZ in Motueka

• Like 1

On 20/06/2018 at 11:16 AM, tom sayn said:

Yup i used this stuff. It works a treat

Further more if beekeepers are making up their own mixes of oxalic acid and glycerin or what ever;

(a.) Its not registered as a treatment for varroa and 

(b.) It would be valuable to have some research around the most effective mix so that everyone is on the same page with this sort of treatment.

This is why we have been talking to MPI about registration. Its front footing the issue.

BF

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Got mine from Clarkes.

https://www.clarkproducts.co.nz/products/chemicals

Now I told you that, ApiNZ Science and Research, be nice if you could tell me something, who you are.

Just more neighbourly if I know who I'm actually talking to. :)

If the logo is legit then they are https://apinz.org.nz/our-work/science-and-research/

They have a phone number but it goes to a voice mail.

Edited by Philbee

Its possible that they are setting up some sort of Quality Assurance  service for Organic Acids and possibly GL
The suppliers might be required to submit samples  for evaluation and approval 
Probably a wise move

Edited by Philbee

Thanks Phil but I was hoping they could tell me which person I am talking to.

My name is Barry Foster and I chair the ApiNZ Science & Research focus group and are also a Board member until the next AGM when I am stepping down from that role. See https://apinz.org.nz/our-people/ John MacKay is also on the ApiNZ Science & Research. Both of us post under the ApiNZ logo. BF

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

Oh thanks Barry, that's great to know!

• Like 1

Hi Alastair

More here on the two posting from our introductory post:

https://www.nzbees.net/forums/topic/12081-science-and-research-in-apiculture/?do=findComment&comment=192754

Barry and I are the two who are posting but for instance, this thread is on behalf of our chemicals expert in the ApiNZ group

[JM]

• Thanks 1

I like the way you are now using your initials after a posting.  This gives further clarity.

Thanks very much.

• Agree 2