Boot

Protecting Manuka - It's Happening

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

ok .... I'm working on it ..... don't hold yer breathe, might take a day or so .   As an aside, we discovered how to make lozenges today. One of the honey pumps had a slight hiccup and ran when it shoud'nt have  for longer than it should have done and super heated the honey. The honey went rock solid in the pump and the the pipe ..... and tastes real yummy ..... we been sucking on it all day as we  toil away  in the extracting room.

Do you think they would be good for a sore throat.

My family and friends have all had nasty colds.

I have been a snot factory for two weeks.

6 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

To produce PURITI Manuka we have to conduct all the MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition testing. We then continue with additional testing to meet a higher standard. It is all very expensive. 

I’m assuming you buy honey off beekeepers and market it, but do you also produce honey?

Do you have any bees of your own?

I would imagine a beekeepers profit margin is considerably smaller than that of a packer/marketer, as usual the primary producers are at the bottom of the pile.

Any beekeeper who is producing Manuka honey would be silly not to test it to the MPI definition before on selling it, otherwise you have no idea what it is worth.

I would say most beekeepers were testing their honey in much the same manner before MPI’s definition came along and the accuracy of what is and isn’t Manuka hasn’t actually changed in my opinion but the cost of testing has more than doubled.. go figure.

It definitely creates jobs and generates revenue adding layers of bureaucracy but does it improve outcomes?

What additional testing do you do to meet a higher standard?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think they would be good for a sore throat.

My family and friends have all had nasty colds.

I have been a snot factory for two weeks.

Nah ..... it's only garbage honey dew ?

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

If it helped a sore throat I could tolerate honey dew.

It's supposed to have medicinal properties.

You should try your lollies on your friends with colds .

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

Honeydew could be the new Manuka with some clever marketing and some fresh ideas.. it's pretty special when you look at the positives.. but you gotta look upwards.. towards the future.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Honeydew could be the new Manuka with some clever marketing and some fresh ideas.. it's pretty special when you look at the positives.. but you gotta look upwards.. towards the future.. 

Shhhhhh .....?

On 11/06/2018 at 2:15 PM, Adam Boot said:

To produce PURITI Manuka we have to conduct all the MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition testing. We then continue with additional testing to meet a higher standard. It is all very expensive. 

Its a bit different when you have big money backing you tho. 

Puriti? @Adam Boot, you would have researched and soul searched too I would think before deciding on the Puriti name I imagine.

A Google search brings up all manner of other products from spectacle frames to sanitation pumps using Puriti as a brand internationally. I am interested why you chose it ?

20 hours ago, Ali said:

Puriti? @Adam Boot, you would have researched and soul searched too I would think before deciding on the Puriti name I imagine.

A Google search brings up all manner of other products from spectacle frames to sanitation pumps using Puriti as a brand internationally. I am interested why you chose it ?

By looking at Puriti as "Pu" and "riti" it can be interpreted as having potential meanings such as Hove, Rise up and also gun barrel or musket.
Its possible that part of the motorization here is to raise the bar via enforcement

Care should be taken not to inflict the R... R.... syndrome on Manuka Honey
R R is a very very rare and beautiful Gemstone possibly the rarest in the world.

Its found here in NZ in just one South Island location.
So rare is this beautiful stone that its only value is that in which it's marketers have been able to create for it which is very little considering it's rarity.
Diamonds and Emeralds on the other hand have critical mass in terms of volumes in the markets.
There's actually a surplus of Diamonds yet their value and desirability remains high.
My point here is that Brand ideals like Puriti are unlikely to do anything for the industry because they are not expansive or inclusive, 

Just the opposite I would suggest.
I personally learned this critical mass lesson many years ago when I owned a number of bare lots in a new subdivision during a time when there was a severe shortage of available land.
On the face of it I should have been able to name my price, given the supply/ demand aspects of the situation 
However it wasn't until more land opened up nearby that I was able to see the value of my land truly and substantial inflate.
This is because the potential buyers like to see activity before they get excited and join in.
I will never forget that lesson 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

R R is a very very rare and beautiful Gemstone possibly the rarest in the world.

So rare is this beautiful stone that its only value is that in which it's marketers have been able to create for it which is very little considering it's rarity.
Diamonds and Emeralds on the other hand have critical mass in terms of volumes in the markets.
There's actually a surplus of Diamonds yet their value and desirability remains high.
My point here is that Brand ideals like Puriti are unlikely to do anything for the industry because they are not expansive or inclusive, 

I personally learned this critical mass lesson many years ago when I owned a number of bare lots in a new subdivision during a time when there was a severe shortage of available land.
On the face of it I should have been able to name my price, given the supply/ demand aspects of the situation 
However it wasn't until more land opened up nearby that I was able to see the value of my land truly and substantial inflate.
This is because the potential buyers like to see activity before they get excited and join in.

Kinloch?

40 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Kinloch?

No, Brentwood from 2000-2008

On 10/06/2018 at 11:52 PM, jamesc said:

The interesting thing is that the Ozzy MGO was instigated partly by Capilano Honey not too far back in 2017. Now , is'nt Capilano in some form of partnership with Comvita, and perhaps, was Capilano the third party trying to buy out Comvita and piggy back on all the intellectual rights. As we all know, there are no mates in business, your mate of yesterday , the one that was gonna watch your back and be part of your family ,disappears and is never heard of again. Some mate eh ...?

But as we all know, the Ozzies are to be reckoned with ...... you only got to look at under arm tactics to know that they are a force to be reckoned with .... even though they might be mates.

You are correct. There is a financial tie between Comvita and Capilano 

12 hours ago, CraBee said:

Kinloch?

17 hours ago, Philbee said:

An interesting take on a brand that is not launched yet and you know little about. How do you know it is not expansive or inclusive. It will be both and arguably more than any other. It will also be honest.

There is a surplus of diamonds but not a surplus on the market. Regardless of the annual recovery from mining (equivalent to a harvest) the controlling diamond houses, De beers etc buy all and then control the market release. Thus they maintain a value of supply over demand, whist maintaining the exclusivity, desirability component. 

Unfortunately in many ways this is nothing like the Manuka Market. If NZ has a great harvest season, everyone tries to sell all of it.

17 hours ago, Philbee said:

By looking at Puriti as "Pu" and "riti" it can be interpreted as having potential meanings such as Hove, Rise up and also gun barrel or musket.
Its possible that part of the motorization here is to raise the bar via enforcement

Or it could be interpreted just as it sounds.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2018 at 1:49 AM, Daley said:

I’m assuming you buy honey off beekeepers and market it, but do you also produce honey?

Do you have any bees of your own?

I would imagine a beekeepers profit margin is considerably smaller than that of a packer/marketer, as usual the primary producers are at the bottom of the pile.

Any beekeeper who is producing Manuka honey would be silly not to test it to the MPI definition before on selling it, otherwise you have no idea what it is worth.

I would say most beekeepers were testing their honey in much the same manner before MPI’s definition came along and the accuracy of what is and isn’t Manuka hasn’t actually changed in my opinion but the cost of testing has more than doubled.. go figure.

It definitely creates jobs and generates revenue adding layers of bureaucracy but does it improve outcomes?

What additional testing do you do to meet a higher standard?

I cannot divulge the testing yet. All will become clear prior to and through the launch of PURITI Manuka. There will be total transparency to the testing I can assure. 

32 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

An interesting take on a brand that is not launched yet and you know little about. How do you know it is not expansive or inclusive. It will be both and arguably more than any other. It will also be honest.

Cant wait to see it, and of course comment on

36 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

There is a surplus of diamonds but not a surplus on the market. Regardless of the annual recovery from mining (equivalent to a harvest) the controlling diamond houses, De beers etc buy all and then control the market release. Thus they maintain a value of supply over demand, whist maintaining the exclusivity, desirability component. 

Unfortunately in many ways this is nothing like the Manuka Market. If NZ has a great harvest season, everyone tries to sell all of it.

The comparison to the precious Gems was meant to help demonstrate the principle of critical mass.

If you continually narrow down the Definition of Manuka Honey then its market share can only shrink
I would have thought that was obvious.
For example, if Diageo were asked which product keeps the Johnny Walker Scotch Whiskey Brand in business, Johnny Walker Red Label , Black Label or Blue label, it wouldn't be Blue at $200-$300 a bottle,

It would be Red Label at $35.00 a bottle, artificially and aged to boot

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

The comparison to the precious Gems was meant to help demonstrate the principle of critical mass.

If you continually narrow down the Definition of Manuka Honey then its market share can only shrink
I would have thought that was obvious.
For example, if Diageo were asked which product keeps the Johnny Walker Scotch Whiskey Brand in business, Johnny Walker Red Label , Black Label or Blue label, it wouldn't be Blue at $200-$300 a bottle,

It would be Red Label at $35.00 a bottle, artificially and aged to boot

There is a big difference though. Diageo do not try and pretend cheep vodka or Bourbon are Scotch whiskey just so they can continue to supply bottles at $35. 

49 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Like manuka 5+

There is always a home and market for 5+ and so there should be. Standards should still be maintained though, at every grade.

10 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Standards should still be maintained though, at every grade.

That would depend on whether you think the current standard is actually defining true manuka honey and whether there is true manuka honey not meeting that standard 

2 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

There is a big difference though. Diageo do not try and pretend cheep vodka or Bourbon are Scotch whiskey just so they can continue to supply bottles at $35. 

Nothing wrong with cheap  Vodka or Bourbon 

This whole thing reminds me of the two kids walking home from school arguing along the way about whose Dad has the fastest car,
One of them is right and the other is wrong but neither is relevant 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

That would depend on whether you think the current standard is actually defining true manuka honey and whether there is true manuka honey not meeting that standard 

My personal view is not relevant to the situation. Legislation determines the standard. Until that changes we can only work within the rules outlined.