Boot

Protecting Manuka - It's Happening

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Just the DNA but why bother having a test for Manuka DNA as part of the 5 attributes if completely no Manuka honey passes ?

its just a waste of money as far as I can see 

Thats not very clear.

its meant to say why bother having a test as part of the Manuka standard that any honey can pass.

7 hours ago, David Yanke said:

The word 'attribute' confers adding quality, but the Manuka Markers plus DNA do not add quality they only attempt to define.  3-PLA is found in VERY high levels in Kanuka, so it is really a better Kanuka marker, then it is a Manuka marker.

I do not make the rules. However, 3-PLA is only one attribute. All five together must be passed. 

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Thats not very clear.

its meant to say why bother having a test as part of the Manuka standard that any honey can pass.

Because it is only part of the test I presume

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Just the DNA but why bother having a test for Manuka DNA as part of the 5 attributes if completely no Manuka honey passes ?

its just a waste of money as far as I can see 

But there must have been some Manuka in the mix to pass the DNA test. It is not about passing one of the parts but passing all of them all the time. I do not say it is perfect. But having a standard is better than no standard surely?

5 hours ago, CraBee said:

The 3 pla is capped at 400, so presumably they did that so that kanuka honey with a high 3 pla could be ruled out as being manuka.  Of course that completely ignores what then happens in the honey processing blending process...

It is not capped at 400. Mono-floral starts at 400. The test says greater than or equal to 400mg/kg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

But there must have been some Manuka in the mix to pass the DNA test. It is not about passing one of the parts but passing all of them all the time. 

I very much doubt it has any Manuka in it

Im Asking what’s the point in having a seperate test ( Manuka DNA) that has To be paid for when almost pure beech honey dew passes.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

All our honey including almost pure beech honeydew has passed the Manuka DNA text.

so did you sell it as Manuka? 

14 hours ago, jamesc said:

Evreryone needs a bumb ..... you place it on a motorcycle and feel the throbbing power resonate up  to your brain where it  makes you delirious and eases away the stress of the moment.  The world needs more bumbs.

You start off with a bum but after a while on the bike you have a bumb, when it goes  numb.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Janice said:

You start off with a bum but after a while on the bike you have a bumb, when it goes  numb

I see these people on  road bikes with really narrow seats and curved under handle bars all hunched over in their lycra and I think , why would you do that to yourself.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

hunched over in their lycra and I think , why would you do that to yourself.

The lycra? Yeah, why would anyone do that to themselves :D

• Haha 1

Lycra got to have somewhere to put the banana

• Haha 1

On 8/06/2018 at 2:03 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

No because it doesn’t have any of the other markers. 

You just answered your question. DNA is not a test to bother with on it's own. The 5 tests together is all that counts. Pass all 5 and you can sell as Manuka. 

2 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

You just answered your question. DNA is not a test to bother with on it's own. The 5 tests together is all that counts. Pass all 5 and you can sell as Manuka. 

I understand that ,

my question is, why have a DNA test as part of the Manuka standard when any type of honey can pass it. 

Why not have the other four markers to identify Manuka honey and no DNA test.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I understand that ,

my question is, why have a DNA test as part of the Manuka standard when any type of honey can pass it. 

The higher the activity the less likely the manuka is to pass the DNA test. Kinda makes you wonder how accurate the rest is.

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I understand that ,

Because it would make MPI look silly and prove they mucked us around for years

8 hours ago, john berry said:

. Kinda makes you wonder how accurate the rest is.

Just like the limits for meth 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

20 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I understand that ,

I only know the rules. I don't make them. I know that the rules are better than the no rules at all alternative that was in place before. I also know that the rules are there to appease China, Europe, UK and other export destination who were sick of the lack of regulation and were threatening to impose their own standards. The rules have also been imposed in an effort to stop adulteration and fake/counterfeit product. 

If we, as an industry, had taken the lead earlier then possibly the MPI would have created something else. As it is these new rules, like them or not, are assisting in keeping the market alive. 

This way the quality of NZ Manuka has a bench mark. I am sure this could be improved in the future. At least we have one that can be built upon. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

I only know the rules. I don't make them. I know that the rules are better than the no rules at all alternative that was in place before. I also know that the rules are there to appease China, Europe, UK and other export destination who were sick of the lack of regulation and were threatening to impose their own standards. The rules have also been imposed in an effort to stop adulteration and fake/counterfeit product. 

If we, as an industry, had taken the lead earlier then possibly the MPI would have created something else. As it is these new rules, like them or not, are assisting in keeping the market alive. 

This way the quality of NZ Manuka has a bench mark. I am sure this could be improved in the future. At least we have one that can be built upon. 

What we need to do now is put our thinking caps on and work on a market for all this other high quality Non Manuka. .... or I see me having to build another shed this winter just to store all the stuff in.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

What we need to do now is put our thinking caps on and work on a market for all this other high quality Non Manuka. .... or I see me having to build another shed this winter just to store all the stuff in.

Hi James

That is doable. You probably need to contact me Via linked in. I would need to know exactly what you have. I believe there is a good market for all NZ honey. It just needs to be positioned and used correctly. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Adam Boot if you had to pay for all the testing you might think differently

To produce PURITI Manuka we have to conduct all the MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition testing. We then continue with additional testing to meet a higher standard. It is all very expensive. 

7 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Hi James

That is doable. You probably need to contact me Via linked in. I would need to know exactly what you have. I believe there is a good market for all NZ honey. It just needs to be positioned and used correctly. 

ok .... I'm working on it ..... don't hold yer breathe, might take a day or so .   As an aside, we discovered how to make lozenges today. One of the honey pumps had a slight hiccup and ran when it shoud'nt have  for longer than it should have done and super heated the honey. The honey went rock solid in the pump and the the pipe ..... and tastes real yummy ..... we been sucking on it all day as we  toil away  in the extracting room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/06/2018 at 7:31 PM, Adam Boot said:

I follow with interest the topics on this site (great site by the way). The trials and tribulations of this industry are many and fascinating. My particular interest is Manuka, the protection and longterm success of this wonderfull honey.

The protection of Manuka is a subject I am passionate about. I see recently that this has become a little talking point. I believe New Zealand Manuka has so much more potential and the global market remains largely untapped. I also believe that we 'reap what we sow' and that means that we as an industry need to put in some serious effort to realise this potential. 

Sitting on our arses and hoping for the world to come to us is not going to cut it. As New Zealanders we must be strategic and visionary in our approach. Be different. 

Anyway, enough of the blah, Blah, blah. The key point is that some of us are trying to do something about it. We are going to protect the name, improve standards, raise quality, educate and inform the consumer and define New Zealand Manuka as the only genuine Manuka. This is going to happen. This is not an if, it is a when.

We are just a few months from the launch of PURITI Manuka - Then the game will change! 

This link is a little teaser and more detail will emerge over the next few weeks through to launch. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/manuka-honey-game-changer-2018-adam-boot/

Hopefully it will be of interest, but if not just jump to the next topic on the list. 

Cheers 

Adam

34200568_191389655024282_742561143528095744_n.jpg

If you have not seen the June 6th press release from Australian Manuka Honey Association it is worth a read. 

I have placed a link and comment on LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/australian-manuka-adopts-revolutionary-mark-adam-boot/

If there was ever a reason to define ourselves and protect an industry under attack then this should be a wake up call. 

Adam

The interesting thing is that the Ozzy MGO was instigated partly by Capilano Honey not too far back in 2017. Now , is'nt Capilano in some form of partnership with Comvita, and perhaps, was Capilano the third party trying to buy out Comvita and piggy back on all the intellectual rights. As we all know, there are no mates in business, your mate of yesterday , the one that was gonna watch your back and be part of your family ,disappears and is never heard of again. Some mate eh ...?

But as we all know, the Ozzies are to be reckoned with ...... you only got to look at under arm tactics to know that they are a force to be reckoned with .... even though they might be mates.