Adam Boot

Protecting Manuka - It's Happening

What's that got to do with clarifying an obtuse comment ?

Edited by yesbut

doing chance work or odd jobs; as, a jobbing carpenter

You've lost me sorry. I do mainly bathrooms.

On one job, one of my chippy mates started refurbishing the kitchen and then finished off in the master bedroom.

The divorce was real messy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another company with my manuka is magically better than yours because it's got a flash name and a high price coming to overstock an area near you or where you already are. Maybe I'm getting cynical or maybe I've just seen it all before.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

All your points are valid to degrees. There is no single element of the mix that will make it work. Branding is key though. The story is the brand and vice versa. "Protecting Manuka" will become obvious I can assure you. Protecting New Zealand Manuka specifically becomes part of the story in a multitude of ways. 

Adam

planting a bunch of trees to protect the land holdings of manuka, protect otherwise erosion prone land, protect indigenous flora and fauna at the same time, etc? if not using those ideas already then i hope they're of some use to you.

i'm not sure if you've already said yes/no on this - but are you working in a group that includes denis?

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

You mean we don't like the commercials getting rich on the back of a falsehood ?

Talk is very cheap, especially when it is backed up by just two Hives and a lean to the left so pronounced you can only walk in circles.

• Haha 1
  • Chill Out 1

36 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Talk is very cheap, especially when it is backed up by just two Hives and a lean to the left so pronounced you can only walk in circles.

I worry about you sometimes. This is a weird response to my asking if I understood your previous statement correctly.  :S

Edited by yesbut

2 hours ago, nab said:

so your a bumb.  

What's a bumb ?

11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What's a bumb ?

Builders crack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Builders crack.

Is that the thing that goes with stubbies and a mullet ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Is that the thing that goes with stubbies and a mullet ?

Thats it.

• Thanks 1

Well this just got weird fast .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 3

Let's see where it goes ...

8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

What's a bumb ?

Evreryone needs a bumb ..... you place it on a motorcycle and feel the throbbing power resonate up  to your brain where it  makes you delirious and eases away the stress of the moment.  The world needs more bumbs.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tommy dave said:

planting a bunch of trees to protect the land holdings of manuka, protect otherwise erosion prone land, protect indigenous flora and fauna at the same time, etc? if not using those ideas already then i hope they're of some use to you.

i'm not sure if you've already said yes/no on this - but are you working in a group that includes denis?

Denis - Definitely, unequivocally no, never.

14 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

No. UMF has a place, as does MGO along with the 5 attributes of the MPI Manuka Honey Science Definition. 

Methylglyoxal(MGO) is the Unique Manuka Factor(UMF).  It is the only thing that matters.  It is what gives Manuka its' Non Peroxide Activity(NPA).  Without it, Manuka would be just another NZ Honey.  The 5 Manuka Markers are not attributes, but just chemicals found in Manuka that MPI thought would help define Manuka, but, instead, just created  more uncertainty. Measuring the MGO level would be the simple, best way to grade Manuka, but unfortunately, it is too easy for the unscrupulous to just add MGO to any honey, and make it amazingly active. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

4 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Denis - Definitely, unequivocally no, never.

How come you are not subject to a restaint of trade after sooo long working with him? 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, David Yanke said:

The 5 Manuka Markers are not attributes, but just chemicals found in Manuka that MPI thought would help define Manuka, but, instead, just created  more uncertainty. 

All our honey including almost pure beech honeydew has passed the Manuka DNA text.

next season we won’t be doing this test as it seems to be a complete waste of hard earned money. 

@Adam Boot how long until the reveal ? 

Edited by frazzledfozzle

1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

All our honey including almost pure beech honeydew has passed the Manuka DNA text.

next season we won’t be doing this test as it seems to be a complete waste of hard earned money. 

Did it pass all 5 attributes or just DNA?

6 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

How come you are not subject to a restaint of trade after sooo long working with him? 

Denis and Watson and Ngai Tahu all split. Watson and Son is now part of Ngai Tahu and Denis is ManukaMed. Denis was out of Watson by mid 2017 so I actually worked with him for only a year. 

• Good Info 1

11 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

The word 'attribute' confers adding quality, but the Manuka Markers plus DNA do not add quality they only attempt to define.  3-PLA is found in VERY high levels in Kanuka, so it is really a better Kanuka marker, then it is a Manuka marker.

• Agree 2

I had some Kanuka this season that was very blended, it was really just a bush blend that I should have got about $8 for.  We had such a bad Manuka season that I just left most of it  on (in the Far North the Manuka finishes 3 months before the Kanuka starts).  Any way, there could not have been more than 1 or 2% Manuka in the final blend that I took off.  I tested it, it passed the Manuka DNA, and it had 660 mg/kg of 3-PLA.  I sold it for $20. I know what the guy was going to do with it, and I guess that makes me a greedy accessory to a MPI sanctioned crime(fraud).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, David Yanke said:

I had some Kanuka this season that was very blended, it was really just a bush blend that I should have got about $8 for.  We had such a bad Manuka season that I just left most of it  on (in the Far North the Manuka finishes 3 months before the Kanuka starts).  Any way, there could not have been more than 1 or 2% Manuka in the final blend that I took off.  I tested it, it passed the Manuka DNA, and it had 660 mg/kg of 3-PLA.  I sold it for $20. I know what the guy was going to do with it, and I guess that makes me a greedy accessory to a MPI sanctioned crime(fraud).

The 3 pla is capped at 400, so presumably they did that so that kanuka honey with a high 3 pla could be ruled out as being manuka.  Of course that completely ignores what then happens in the honey processing blending process...

Edited by CraBee

2 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Just the DNA but why bother having a test for Manuka DNA as part of the 5 attributes if completely no Manuka honey passes ?

its just a waste of money as far as I can see 

• Like 1