jamesc

The final Reckoning

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

That being the case, as kiwifruiter says, any honey should do the trick

I think it's needs the garlic too.

27 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think it's needs the garlic too.

Is there hydrogen peroxide in garlic too ?

19 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Is there hydrogen peroxide in garlic too ?

Not sure , is there ? 

But is some good anti something in garlic 

Edited by kaihoka

On 1/06/2018 at 10:50 PM, jamesc said:

Well hallelujah .....we pulled the last strips from the bees today, did the final disease check and are still melting wax into blocks of gold. This is the time of year when my mind turns to how much we made.Did  I work for nothing , or did I  hopefully pay costs and  make a little ?

I floated this idea a few years ago along the lines that every week in the farming paper I get to read about farmers and their operations and how the numbers stack up. It met with a muted response, mostly that people were'nt prepared to share the viablity of their operations. Last week  I read one of Steve Wyn harris's articles about the returns from his newly cut forest block, so along those lines I offer this up.

So .... the final tally came in today. We ran 1409 hives last year with two labour units. My labour is free. The main man takes home a bit under 50k

We produced 42,000 kg's of honey off 1090 hives. The balance were too weak to make a crop or were nucs growing after late season splits.

The honey is yet to be sold, but might average $7.00/kg

That gives us a gross income of $294,000.00

Our contracts with Rayonier estimate the yearly hive running cost to be $400.00/ hive . I think that might be a little on the high side, but I'll go with that .... so by my sums we made a loss of $116.000

That job driving a truck for Fonterra looks pretty good to me.

I read another operations running costs and it was 250$ per hive. Mine comes out at around $200