Varroa resistance to Oxalic

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tests where bees were fed OA are simply irrelevant.   Oxalic acid vaporization was already used in the soviet union and continues to be wideley used by many beekeepers in europe. Italy Austr

I can't believe you lot who have given this a "funny". I'm serious. The attitude is the root of a heck of a lot of trouble in the world.

A despicable way of referring to fellow humans.

44 minutes ago, Philbee said:

That quote came from the Google search of the meaning

Google may have stolen it though

Mike Ledingham is a NZ author that wrote a book “Once a Grunt”. It’s a good read - a bunch of short stories about his time in the army and SAS. The language in the book makes even me blush a bit though! 

13 minutes ago, Rewi1973 said:

Mike Ledingham is a NZ author that wrote a book “Once a Grunt”. It’s a good read - a bunch of short stories about his time in the army and SAS. The language in the book makes even me blush a bit though! 

Cool Ill look that Book up

A couple Ive read recently 
One Bullet away- The making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick

Really enjoyed the first half but it tapered off IMO

And, With The Old Breed E.B Sledge 

Outstanding first hand account of fighting the Japanese in the Pacific 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Yorks said:

Has anyone tried this ? http://thermosolarhive.com/en/homepage/

I have some serpens oleum going cheap and it is far better at preventing AFB and swarming.
Actually I suspect the theory of heat treating varoa has some validity but in practice applying it to a beehive is very difficult as the bees control their own hive temperature and also die very quickly and horribly when they can no longer keep the temperature within acceptable limits.

On 4/06/2018 at 7:53 PM, CraBee said:

...................From what I can make out NZ is the country with the most densely populated hives in the world and that brings some real challenges with it, particularly in some areas.......

.............I  calculated some bee hive densities - NZ 2.98 hives/sq km, Germany 2.32 hives /sq km, USA 0.26 hives /sq km, Aus 0.06 hives /sq km.

There are many other countries with way more hives than NZ.

A country with the size of NI-NZ with 1.5 million hives and an average annual crop of 22kg of honey per hive(data from 2015-2016). You can not make a profitable year without traveling to the crops. Then you will find 1000 hives or more surrounding a sunflower filed of 300-500 Ha(while the honey crop is still good - and this is just one crop and the biggest out of 3-4 per season).

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
45 minutes ago, Ali said:

Hi @Christi An, do you know why it is illegal in Germany? Is it just a matter of an approval process not followed or something else?

Exactly. Nobody ever paid the money (the whole process of approving a treatment is VERY costly) to have the whole thing approved...

The whole situation there regarding this matter is completely ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/06/2018 at 12:53 AM, CraBee said:

Your season then is five months, ours is six months here.  Without treating in Spring for the most part hives would be dead or irretrievable by late January.  

I calculated some bee hive densities - NZ 2.98 hives/sq km, Germany 2.32 hives /sq km, USA 0.26 hives /sq km, Aus 0.06 hives /sq km.

Greece - about 11-12 hives/ sq km

Crete (the biggest Greek Island) - about only 6 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/06/2018 at 5:00 PM, Philbee said:

I always thought that the Term "Grunt" was a derogatory, demeaning term used to describe canon fodder but it's not

Term of affection for that tired, filthy, thirsty, hungry, footsore, ripped-trouser, camouflage-painted, lean, mean, son a b*itch who has kept the wolf away from the door for over two hundred years.

Ta- good Fathers Day card :)

• Like 1